summer ball

unclecracker

We have three players and one former player who will play in college next year but none of them will be more than 200 miles from home. Of course none are playing Div. I , but all are happy with their choices. Lots of things to consider and talk about, don't waste time and money find out what your child wants and go from there. Take it from someone who has been there and as they say done that. Just my thoughts didn't mean to run so long........

The priority during school, of course, should be what happens in the classrooms. That's why I think all the transfers over sports during high school and before ninth grade are crazy. It's clear nearly all softball players are signed by what they do in the summer, up-and-down competition, "cooked" scorebooks, other things would make it hard to for college coaches to evaluate players even if they had the time to go watch high school games. As for the division, I agree with how it seems you feel, they're in college and can get a portion paid for, maybe most or all with academic/athletic combinations. They're not prepping for the NFL or NBA, they're getting an education. You want to play at the highest level possible, but whether it's PAC-10 or Division III they can still get an education even if they're not in a high profile program.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some probably feel it's more important than it really is, or it is about ego to some parents, having their daughter play for state contender instead of an average high school team. They forget if a player is talented enough she could have helped the team she left behind be a lot better, especially if it's a pitcher-at least if the player is as talented as the parents think.

Good topic and very interesting posts. I like the posts that point out it's the parents that want it more than the child. Very true. And what about 'community?' Good word, but do we really mean it? Today's world is not about community. It's about ME, ME, ME! My opinion is if your child (or children, which ever the case may be) is happy playing on a terrible community high school team, but is an 'A' player, what of it? They'll get to do their thing in the summer. Some parents are so caught up in Jr.-ette being the best and getting the best that they lose the perspective of just how far their little baby is gonna go in softball anyway. Players peak at different times in their individual lives. Some don't show greatness until their senior year in college and some show it in the 8th grade. If they show it early, it's hard to sustain for 9 straight years. And that's what some parents want because it's an ego thing. They're eat up with it because little Julie Sue has been 'the man' since 4th grade and by golly she'll be 'the man' until she graduates from college. For some, that may be the case. But, for the majority, it ain't happenin'. I say let 'em play where they want to play, when they want to play for however long they want to play. And enjoy it as much as possible while you can. For one year or ten, it can be a great ride!

seems like the posts are consistent that summer ball gives you better exposure to college coaches, can't argue with that

but why uproot your family to simply switch high schools if high school ball isn't important

A chance to win a state championship is a great motivator to some.

The catcher here last year was a two-time all-state player even though the team only won about 10 games last year. She could have played for any team around, if she wanted, but I doubt the thought of changings schools even crossed her or her parents' minds. She was a valedictorian and had tons of friends, so there was more to her high school experience than softball. She signed with the top junior college program in the south and was hitting .350 in the last stats I saw. She played competitive summer ball out of Chattanooga and that more than made up for any lack of attention she may have gotten in high school, or any lack of credibility some might have considered for her high school achievements playing for a small school.

A chance to win a state championship is a great motivator to some.

Carrying your team as far as it can go could be a great motivator, too. What would be more impressive, an average team with one or two great players getting an upset or two in the postseason, finishing much higher than anyone thought and having memories they'll always cherish, or a stacked team with 15 topnotch 'A' players going to another state tournament and putting their trophies on the shelf alongside dozens of others they've stockpiled over the years?

Carrying your team as far as it can go could be a great motivator, too. What would be more impressive, an average team with one or two great players getting an upset or two in the postseason, finishing much higher than anyone thought and having memories they'll always cherish, or a stacked team with 15 topnotch 'A' players going to another state tournament and putting their trophies on the shelf alongside dozens of others they've stockpiled over the years?

Having a team not favored make a run at state is very exciting and most of us would cherish every moment. Our team made a run like this three years ago, the players that were freshman still feel that that week was the most memorable of their high school career. Unfortunately there are players, parents and coaches who only want to be with the best. They are missing out.

Some probably feel it's more important than it really is, or it is about ego to some parents, having their daughter play for state contender instead of an average high school team. They forget if a player is talented enough she could have helped the team she left behind be a lot better, especially if it's a pitcher-at least if the player is as talented as the parents think.

Indian, you hit the nail right on the head...its more about parents "ego" than any child that I have ever seen transfer. High School ball means nothing as far as college coaches are concerned. parents want to brag that their little girl played in, or maybe won a state championship

Edited by Bleacherbum

So let's see, you have been transfered to Nashville because of your job. Your child is zoned for one of the many AAA Metro publics whose softball team plays their 10 district games and calls it quits. This child happens to be good in softball and wants to play a competitive schedule both in the spring as well as in the summer. Should she a. take it on the chin or b. move to a program that takes it seriously with a competitive schedule, 10 A level players who push you and you can learn from , and good coaching? Warning this is not a plug for privates as you could commute from one of the surrounding couties who have publics that take the game to the next level.

Edited by std

That's a different situation than someone who's grown up with her classmates, and will miss the prom, graduation, just being in the hallways with those same friends. Win a few more softball games but graduate with a different class, what's the point, really? Again, if the talented player stays who knows what their team could achieve? Instead, the best player changes schools, the former school continues with a bad or average results and the parents can say 'See, look what she'd be in if she'd stayed." Moving from school to school just for sports leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Indian

That's a different situation than someone who's grown up with her classmates, and will miss the prom, graduation, just being in the hallways with those same friends. Win a few more softball games but graduate with a different class, what's the point, really? Moving from school to school just for sports leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mine too Indian, and our little school in Decatur have had 2 girls do just that. I guess it made em feel good to sit on the bench at the basketball state tourney.And hopefully they feel even better sitting in the softball dugout (especially when they lost to us) in BOTH sports.