Contest of Champions at Middle Tennessee

SemperFiBlue

The astroturf that has been on Middle Tennessee's field since the 70's is gone and will be replaced by synthetic field turf--the very same field inside Southern Miss's stadium and inside the Baltimore Ravens stadium.

It won't be like marching on a concrete parking lot anymore, but I don't know how the turf will affect the contest rules. Turfing companies can void a warranty on fields it installs if certain things are on the field beyond what's usually on a field.

At Troy University, they were told they could no longer have their Trojan Princess Ride tradition with a live horse because the horse's hooves would damage the turf. I imagine there may be new guidelines for props allowed at Middle Tennessee's Contest of Champions. Anything large and heavy or on wheels probably would have to stay off to the side.

That might be an interesting thing for me to contact Mr. Cornish about.

Edited by SemperFiBlue

• 1 month later...

Middle Tennessee has been working on ripping up the old turf to make way for the new Sportexe synthetic field turf.

The asphalt padding that some of you got to march on in past Contest of Champions will no longer be there for COC 2006. I don't know of many places that had synthetic turf that we got to march on while I was in marching band at Middle Tennessee. I think the University of Illinois may have had synthetic turf. University of Arkansas may have also had it. Mississippi State's looked and felt like a high school field--natural grass or sod.

Watch Lightning's Construction Cam to see progress on the developments on the field:

http://goblueraiders.com/livecam/