Problem Solved.

They don't mind losing them as much as playing against them. Going to Baylor, McCallie, GPS and now David Brainerd is one thing, but when a community has a talented middle school class of athletes that's gutted-then you have to take the court/field against them in high school, it causes resentment. Even if they've been at a Chattanooga Christian since an early grade-just an example-often the student still plays community sports with others where he/she lives, and everyone remembers them when they get to high school, knowing how the player could have contributed especially at a small school. With a split, the relationship would be much better between private and public schools, I've been following GPS and Baylor, hoping they would do well in softball this week because of coaches or parents I know with the teams, and I'm hoping Baylor's baseball would do well because they seem like a class group. I know one really good player off one of those teams could have been playing here if things had turned out differently, but at least the school here isn't across the field from that player in the postseason. If those schools were still in Division I and in the state tournament, I'd be wondering why they're in there beating public schools, not focusing on them going out and doing well.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh...there it is. The word "resentment". Well here`s what I have been saying all along "get over it". JCM`s baseball program would be one of the best teams in the state if it weren`t for private schools and magnet schools. Look at the success that USJ has had over the past years and realize that most of those kids live in JCM`s zone. Couple that with some fine young players that are scattered between TCA,JCS, Madison and Liberty and JCM would be playing in the boro this week. It can be frustrating I admit, but being resentful is the wrong attitude, but frankly that`s the prevalent attitude that has driven the talk of a split. Why can`t we all just get over it and play ball? There is no school that owns the rights to any student, so it would be pretty darn silly of me to waste my time worrying about the JCM zoned students who attend school elsewhere. Resentment would be an awfully stupid way to legislate high school sports, but I guess that`s why they are called whiners because they can`t "get over it".

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

Ahhhh...there it is. The word "resentment". Well here`s what I have been saying all along "get over it". JCM`s baseball program would be one of the best teams in the state if it weren`t for private schools and magnet schools. Look at the success that USJ has had over the past years and realize that most of those kids live in JCM`s zone. Couple that with some fine young players that are scattered between TCA,JCS, Madison and Liberty and JCM would be playing in the boro this week. It can be frustrating I admit, but being resentful is the wrong attitude, but frankly that`s the prevalent attitude that has driven the talk of a split. Why can`t we all just get over it and play ball? There is no school that owns the rights to any student, so it would be pretty darn silly of me to waste my time worrying about the JCM zoned students who attend school elsewhere. Resentment would be an awfully stupid way to legislate high school sports, but I guess that`s why they are called whiners because they can`t "get over it".

I know the feeling here. I attended a public for a while during high school (before finishing private). That public baseball team would have been stacked. Locally and within 4 years of my graduation from HS - scattered among other privates - 1 top 5 round MLB pick, 2 top 25 rounders, 4 other selections, and countless kids that signed with Lipscomb, WKU, TN Tech, Cumberland, Trevecca, Belmont, Vol State, and Motlow. All of those kids were excellent ball players and I can only imagine how good that public would have been. But because of the lack of "institutional" control in that school system at the time ... they all scattered to different privates.

Cry me me a river, make more excuses, blame others, point fingers, bottom line you punish schools that win....they just happen to be private right now, no one was saying this in the 80's and 70's when public schools ruled the roost, my how times change.

Back in the 1970's when I was in school my father (who was a bootleggers son and worked two jobs while married with a family to put himself through college) would have killed me and my siblings if we had said we lost to a private school because they had more advantages than we did. What ever happened to the old "tough love" that parents use to pass on to their children?

Back in the 1970's when I was in school my father (who was a bootleggers son and worked two jobs while married with a family to put himself through college) would have killed me and my siblings if we had said we lost to a private school because they had more advantages than we did. What ever happened to the old "tough love" that parents use to pass on to their children?

Exactly. Me might want to ask the teacher's that don't keep score on the playground for our kids and those that don't give F's for grades now ... they give grades like DS or better known as "Delayed Success".