independence vs. springfield

all_chap

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all chap, did you say that Utley will be sitting this one out? Is that due to injuries?

Indy came off a good solid week of prac.. no new injuries ... except for those who have sat out spring ball.... Looking forward to seeing this scrimmage...... Indy will see where they stand after this scrimmage 2day....

independece 49 springfield 21

:) INDy... job well done today... shouldve only been 7 for springfield though.... 2 costly penalties that awarded springfield 30 yards gave them the ball on the 5 and they punched it in... both penalties coming on 3rd downs...another was scored on a blown coverage which looked to me like the qb passed the line of scrimmage and lobbed up a pass for the touchdown.. Indy shouldve had 2 maybe 3 more touchdowns.. unlucky with a fumble and interception inside the 10 both times... Mistakes happen during spring ball but by the looks of it, indy is headed on the right path and coach smith has an offense that seems to click.... INdy players were relaxed about the win and counting down the days till PAGE!

PAGE players you better strap up because these boys mean buisness!

Edited by Hit'em Up

If preseason scrimmages are any indication of the season to come, Coach Scott Smith will be smiling for a long time.

Independence again looked excellent in their second scrimmage to cap off a solid two weeks of spring practice. The final tally in the contest versus Springfield was 49-21.

While the score does get inflated by second and third-teamers, Independence still appeared to be the better team.

However, penalties and costly turnovers, two problems that plagued the Eagles last season were somewhat prevalent today. IHS was called for one unsportsmanlike penalty, in addition to a couple pass interefence calls. They also fumbled the ball inside the 5-yard line.

Regardless, Smith's team managed to keep their poise and ended up running away with this scrimmage.

The defense was absolutely nasty. Blitzes and gang-tackling were two common themes. Several hard hits led to fumbles which IHS recovered.

Nick Smith again was very impressive at QB. While he doesn't possess a cannon, his underneath passing is absolutely stellar. The starting quarterback position could be more hotly contested than people think.

The task at hand for the Eagles now is to continue to get better. While two victories in Spring are very nice, they don't count for anything. The guys must continue to lift weights. They must continue to run. They have to do all of this to step their game up to the level of play they will be seeing in Region 6-5A.

Several injured players will be making their returns very soon, as well as some transfer students from out-of-state schools. The team should be at full strength come August.

Indy will be participating in several 7-on-7 tournaments over the summer, including a big one at Vanderbilt that will include Byrnes (SC).

Congratulations for the Eagles for taking a big step this spring and good luck over the summer.

Wingman, I disagree completely. Page is returning very, very few starters. While Blake Neel is going to be a great player someday, I don't think he's quite there yet. Jake Norman is a very, very solid force at linebacker, but outside of him and Chris Rose, I feel like the Patriots have nothing at all. They are weak especially on the line, where Independence is improving the most.

Moreover, Page had a difficult time in pass coverage last year and has since graduated almost all of their secondary. Independence boasts two very serious deep threats (Baugh and Darnell) in addition to several quality possession receivers (Parker, Reese, and Veres).

And above all that, Independence wants this game so badly. The Page game last year is a testament to that; the Eagles played their hearts out. Several players were stepping up and making plays to contain Josh McMurray. While he did end up with around 130 yards, about 70 of those came on one run in the 4th quarter.

Independence's biltz schemes should wreak havoc for Page. Page's 4-3 pressure will be exploited by screen passes and draw plays.

I would call Independence by at least 3 touchdowns. This is all contingent on both teams staying healthy throughout the summer.

Brentwood, Franklin, and Ravenwood are the big tests now for the Eagles.

Oh, JScott, I agree with you. I tallied 28-14 for the first teamers as well. Springfield isn't a bad team by any means, and they were without Jonathan Utley, who is possibly their best player. I hope everybody made it home safe and I wish you guys the best of luck this upcoming season.

Edited by donathan5507