Most used Defense

dhack

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering what the most used HS defense is out there. In My day it was either a 5-3 or a 4-4 stack. I know thing have changed. So is it the 5-2 (with a SS) or 4-3 or 3-4 or something else?

I personally dont like the 5-2 for HS ball, unless you have some strong ends and a great nose-tackle. The Wing-t type offenses seem to eat it up.

It seems like it varies from class to class. 1a teams may not have the talent up front so they might run a 5-3. Where as a 4 or 5a team has more speed, better linemen, and has to defend the pass more so they may run a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Peronally my favorite is a 5-2 with a monster. Its hard to run against or throw on. The only way Wing-T's eat it up is the backside linbacker isnt doing his job or the linemen are getting dominated.

Peronally my favorite is a 5-2 with a monster. Its hard to run against or throw on. The only way Wing-T's eat it up is the backside linbacker isnt doing his job or the linemen are getting dominated.

Pretty much my point on the 5-2. I see many teams with the beef in the middle of the line but light weight ends and aggresive backers. Its hard for a young player not to take that first step towards the ball and ends up out of position very quickly. In theory it is a great scheme but you need very strong, quick and disciplined players.