McKenzie at state...

jcmjeff2006

I would say it would all depend on who they play, and the scouting report McKenzie could get on the other team. It's always hard to find coaches to give you a scouting report this time of year. It's for two reasons: a.) the other coach is still in it and wants to share nothing, or b.) they've been eliminated previously and out of school, making it hard to find them in a VERY LIMITED amount of time. I would say that all schools would use their #1 so that they could let them recover and refresh before needed again. Also if the Rebels or any team get up by 3 or 4 runs, you'll see starters pulled quickly as well to keep them fresh. I would think McKenzie would use the same strategy with Hayes. Fortunately for them, he recovers extremely fast as he really takes care of his arm, and it being very strong from also being the quarterback as well.

Personally, if I were choosing, it depends on the draw they get for round one, but if it wasn't anyone such as Forrest, or an upper tier team I wouldn't be using Hayes first game anyway. I'd use Brown until a. he started getting hit, or b. didn't show up in the first and got the Rebels in trouble immediately. In those cases I'd probably have to go to him, use him for 2 or 3 innings and then go to the other starter they have. If you lose that's gonna put you in a harder bracket to come out of, but at the same time with the exception of an upset in there, all those teams will be easier competition to play a little longer.

I would say it would all depend on who they play, and the scouting report McKenzie could get on the other team. It's always hard to find coaches to give you a scouting report this time of year. It's for two reasons: a.) the other coach is still in it and wants to share nothing, or b.) they've been eliminated previously and out of school, making it hard to find them in a VERY LIMITED amount of time. I would say that all schools would use their #1 so that they could let them recover and refresh before needed again. Also if the Rebels or any team get up by 3 or 4 runs, you'll see starters pulled quickly as well to keep them fresh. I would think McKenzie would use the same strategy with Hayes. Fortunately for them, he recovers extremely fast as he really takes care of his arm, and it being very strong from also being the quarterback as well.

Personally, if I were choosing, it depends on the draw they get for round one, but if it wasn't anyone such as Forrest, or an upper tier team I wouldn't be using Hayes first game anyway. I'd use Brown until a. he started getting hit, or b. didn't show up in the first and got the Rebels in trouble immediately. In those cases I'd probably have to go to him, use him for 2 or 3 innings and then go to the other starter they have. If you lose that's gonna put you in a harder bracket to come out of, but at the same time with the exception of an upset in there, all those teams will be easier competition to play a little longer.

McKenzie is playing Trousdale County in the first round, I don't know anything about them.

Though I agree that if a team with a definite ace (i.e., Mckenzie) gets a comfortable lead with him on the hill, they'd possibly take him out and move some things around (you can always bring him back in if things get hairy).

I disagree with the fact that you check scouting reports first. The state tournament is set up College World Series style - you want to stay out of that losers' bracket to play as few games as possible. This is unless you have a stable full of pitchers, which the Rebels do not. Milan made a great example of this two years ago. Jonathan White pitched first, even though it was against a Dyer Co. team they knew they would probably beat (and did, 8-0). After two other pitchers won their bracket for them, J. White was back on the mound on Friday (2 days rest) in the championship. I expect to see a similar strategy from Coach Maddox. Someone earlier mentioned him as "easily" the coach of the year in Class A in West TN. He is a great guy and has done a great job, but let's see how things pan out when he can't always trot out Drew in an elimination game, as he did this week.

Good luck to Coach Maddox and Coach Eubanks at Huntingdon - go get em in the Boro!

Though I agree that if a team with a definite ace (i.e., Mckenzie) gets a comfortable lead with him on the hill, they'd possibly take him out and move some things around (you can always bring him back in if things get hairy).

I disagree with the fact that you check scouting reports first. The state tournament is set up College World Series style - you want to stay out of that losers' bracket to play as few games as possible. This is unless you have a stable full of pitchers, which the Rebels do not. Milan made a great example of this two years ago. Jonathan White pitched first, even though it was against a Dyer Co. team they knew they would probably beat (and did, 8-0). After two other pitchers won their bracket for them, J. White was back on the mound on Friday (2 days rest) in the championship. I expect to see a similar strategy from Coach Maddox. Someone earlier mentioned him as "easily" the coach of the year in Class A in West TN. He is a great guy and has done a great job, but let's see how things pan out when he can't always trot out Drew in an elimination game, as he did this week.

Good luck to Coach Maddox and Coach Eubanks at Huntingdon - go get em in the Boro!

Yeah, that was exactly what I was saying. Maybe it just didn't sound right, but I sure thought it did when I was thinking it. :thumb: But I honestly do disagree with you in the fact that you say not to check scouting reports first, I believe that's the most important pre-game (week leading up until first pitch) bit that any coach/team can do. Scouting reports are crucial to knowing whether teams hit fastballs or offspeed better. And with a team like McKenzie with the severe lack of depth in the pen, it will be crucial knowing who to throw when. Just my view of it, but your method may work far better....chances are it's probably a coin toss, one day it'll work your way, the other it may work mine, that's baseball isn't it.

I will have to say that McKenzie might have a limited supply of Senior pitching. There are other quality pitchers though. I think they have a good chance of winning State. They could go down into their sophmores and still pull up good pitching. Parker Jones and Clint Kee are two pitchers that carried McKenzie to the 15 year old State Playoffs last year and came home with 3rd in the State. They haven't been used alot this year but they are there and I'm sure they could step up if needed. The Kee kid had a fall record of 33 strike outs in an 18 and under league in Jackson, TN. last fall. This was more than any of the 8 teams from kentcuky and tenn that participated and he had an ERA of 2.9 after 18 games with a 1.37 k's per inning record placing him first in k's and 3rd in k's per inning. He also just tried out for a Tennessee Stars team in Jackson, TN which is a spin off of the Mississippi Stars that won the 18 and under World Series against Cananda in 2004. The same coach is coaching the Tennessee Stars. This is an 18 and under team that plays only showcase tournaments. Pretty good accomplishment for a sophmore. His stats can be found at advantedgesports.com under fall ball league. Also a roster for the Tennessee Stars. I think him and Parker Jones can play at this level and let's not forget McKenzie also has two other senior pitchers other than Hayes and Brown. GO REBELS !!!!

McKenzie has a very good chance of winning State.

They will have to depend on good pitching from their top two, Hayes and Brown bc the first two games are the most important. If they have to go deep into their pitching staff they may run into trouble bc of lack of experience this year. Hayes and Brown are very capable of getting the job done on the hill.