Division II State Tournament

redbaron515

Ive looked at the GPS schedule, and theyve lost to Baylor 3 out of the 4 times. Yes, by a small margin, but a loss is a loss. JP2, maybe not having the hardest region schedule, had some good wins outside of the region, including Hendersonville, Lincoln County, and Cumberland County. I will admit, the Lady Knights can be up and down...its all according to what team shows up. They stayed close to St. Benedict down in Memphis, and they can keep up with Father Ryan.

GPS and Baylor have played a total of 6 times this season, and as of today they are even with each other at 3-3

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have never beaten the Lady Irish ever in softball. Perhaps the team buses could have a race. Should be Ryan vs St Benedict in the finals. Should be a great tourney to watch. Hope the weather is decent.

As far as that I have been in a van with Coach Phil from Father Ryan and I will but $100 that he wins that race.

Baylor, GPS, Father Ryan, St Benedict, I am somewhat confused as to Red Baron's comment that JPII can keep up with the Lady Irish. They have never beaten the Lady Irish ever in softball. Perhaps the team buses could have a race. Should be Ryan vs St Benedict in the finals. Should be a great tourney to watch. Hope the weather is decent. :thumb:

My post was meaning that the Lady Irish are beatable. Last two times theyve played were 2-0 and 4-1, both to the Irish, but close games.

hmm. I'm not sure about some of this. How many teams here have beaten Soddy? 1, GPS did in the Soddy tournament, then beat Ider(Alabama), who is one of the other teams to beat Soddy(who has 3 losses this year) on their way to winning the Soddy tournament, beating Baylor 6-1 in the championship game. GPS beat Ryan 4 or 5-1 on their way to winning the Ooltewah tournament. Plus, they played the entire region tournament without sophomore All State catcher Amy Campbell. 2 of the 3 Baylor losses have come in extra innings, and 2 of the 3 losses they were without Campbell.

hmm. I'm not sure about some of this. How many teams here have beaten Soddy? 1, GPS did in the Soddy tournament, then beat Ider(Alabama), who is one of the other teams to beat Soddy(who has 3 losses this year) on their way to winning the Soddy tournament, beating Baylor 6-1 in the championship game. GPS beat Ryan 4 or 5-1 on their way to winning the Ooltewah tournament. Plus, they played the entire region tournament without sophomore All State catcher Amy Campbell. 2 of the 3 Baylor losses have come in extra innings, and 2 of the 3 losses they were without Campbell.

I guess if anyone in our division plays soddy or ider in the state tournament, GPS will have the upper hand, Congradulations! GPS did beat Ryan in a shortened game 3-1, with all 3 runs coming in the first inning.

Go to the schedule/results for both teams and see the difference in level of competition that GPS played and JP2 played. Lots of quality wins for GPS and not a very tough schedule for JP2. JP2 and FACs are the only teams in the D2 state that I have not seen. I predict St. Benedict wins the winners bracket and the loser's bracket final as Baylor and GPS. GPS and Baylor are dead even in my book but St. Benedict is on a mission. They were the toughest offensive team we faced.

St. Benedict is verrrry good, but you just have to figure out what to throw them and you can shut them down offensively. other than that, they should win it all.

St. Benedict is verrrry good, but you just have to figure out what to throw them and you can shut them down offensively. other than that, they should win it all.

The DII bracket is very evenly matched with several teams that could get hot. St. Benedict has to be the favorite with all of the returning players and upperclassmen. The next time GPS(Go Bruisers!) and Baylor play it will probably be an 11 inning game (the last two went 9 and 10, respectively). Father Ryan is also a very solid team. Those are the only teams that I can speak to, but any one of the four could win it.

Hopefully, this year's tournament will be as well played as last with the same level of sportsmanship. I was very impressed with the St. Benedict girls after their loss last year, and, the Baylor/GPS girls all know and respect each other so much. To be honest, most of the parents could learn a lot from watching the kids before and after their games.

Congrats to all and let's have a safe week.

The DII bracket is very evenly matched with several teams that could get hot. St. Benedict has to be the favorite with all of the returning players and upperclassmen. The next time GPS(Go Bruisers!) and Baylor play it will probably be an 11 inning game (the last two went 9 and 10, respectively). Father Ryan is also a very solid team. Those are the only teams that I can speak to, but any one of the four could win it.

Hopefully, this year's tournament will be as well played as last with the same level of sportsmanship. I was very impressed with the St. Benedict girls after their loss last year, and, the Baylor/GPS girls all know and respect each other so much. To be honest, most of the parents could learn a lot from watching the kids before and after their games.

Congrats to all and let's have a safe week.

I was wondering what you mean by most of the parents. Are you referring to any certain teams or what? No need to reply, I teach my child sportsmanship, not her teaching me, thats my job as a parent. I believe most of the parents are good sports, all said and done. And many of the girls on many of the teams in the State Tournament know and respect each other, some have gone to school with each other during their early years. I am very impressed with all the teams. They all have a common goal, to try and do their best. :)

My post was meaning that the Lady Irish are beatable. Last two times theyve played were 2-0 and 4-1, both to the Irish, but close games.

Father Ryan loses two pitchers to graduation this current year. But the Irish train keeps rolling, two pitchers have transferred or in one case will transfer at the beginning of next school year. They will both be juniors next season and both ready to roll next spring. One is already throwing at the State Tournament and won the title game. So the Irish will continue I'M afraid be a thorn in JPII's side for the next several years. OH Yeah, I guess being close is a matter of opinion, but when you score six runs to the other teams one run in two games, that ain't too close, but I admire your eternal optimism. :)

Edited by fieldman

Well...short stay for JP2...losses 5-4 to Davidson Academy. I had faith that the Lady Knights would do well this year.

Congrats on a good season. To the seniors...Katy, Haley, Mo, and Jen...you couldnt have shown better senior leadership this year. Very proud of all of you, and good luck in your future at college. Very proud of all of you.