HS Drug Screening

rcpatriot

Let's try to put this in a better perspective. I don't care about a cure for lung cancer, because no one in my family smokes. I don't care about homelessness because I work hard to pay my bills and so should they. I don't care about starving children because the adults should have used contraceptives if they couldn't feed them. I don't care about kids doing drugs because mine don't.

WAKE UP!!

You don't want your kids "rights" to be violated by them being required to take a drug test?! Again, my request is for all students, teachers, coaches, and administrators, to be subject to random drug testing. No one wants to believe or even think that "their" child would ever take drugs, drink, smoke, cuss, etc. I bet your parents thought the same way. Mine did. Boy were they wrong! Don't you just think, possibly, you could be wrong? What are you afraid of, the truth? Oh, we did stupid "stuff" and survived. I've heard that before from parents, and some of those same ones were surprised when their kids were caught "dusting" while driving down the road. Of course, they got caught because their vehicle ended up in a ditch and they couldn't get it out. Safe and sound, they walked away. Parents were notified and disciplinary action was left up to the parents. Mom and Dad were horrified to learn that little "Johnny" would do something so stupid. This was a "wake up call" for them, the parents and hopefully little "Johnny".

I'm not proposing to take anyones rights away, I'm proposing that we help those that need help. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I won't take the mentality of "it's not my problem" so why worry about it. Why? Because it could be your "little innocent Johnny" that was found in his bed choked to death on his own vomit due to being so doped up he/she couldn't wake up. Not mine! Right! :thumb:

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try to put this in a better perspective. I don't care about a cure for lung cancer, because no one in my family smokes. I don't care about homelessness because I work hard to pay my bills and so should they. I don't care about starving children because the adults should have used contraceptives if they couldn't feed them. I don't care about kids doing drugs because mine don't.

WAKE UP!!

You don't want your kids "rights" to be violated by them being required to take a drug test?! Again, my request is for all students, teachers, coaches, and administrators, to be subject to random drug testing. No one wants to believe or even think that "their" child would ever take drugs, drink, smoke, cuss, etc. I bet your parents thought the same way. Mine did. Boy were they wrong! Don't you just think, possibly, you could be wrong? What are you afraid of, the truth? Oh, we did stupid "stuff" and survived. I've heard that before from parents, and some of those same ones were surprised when their kids were caught "dusting" while driving down the road. Of course, they got caught because their vehicle ended up in a ditch and they couldn't get it out. Safe and sound, they walked away. Parents were notified and disciplinary action was left up to the parents. Mom and Dad were horrified to learn that little "Johnny" would do something so stupid. This was a "wake up call" for them, the parents and hopefully little "Johnny".

I'm not proposing to take anyones rights away, I'm proposing that we help those that need help. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I won't take the mentality of "it's not my problem" so why worry about it. Why? Because it could be your "little innocent Johnny" that was found in his bed choked to death on his own vomit due to being so doped up he/she couldn't wake up. Not mine! Right! :thumb:

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

Scare tactics don't work on me. I am always on guard about my kids and anything they may be doing to endanger themselves or others. If they start random drug testing everyone (by your standards - admin, students, teachers, coaches) will they eventually come to my house with a plastic cup without cause? My govt is already listening to my phone calls to keep me from getting blown up by a terrorist...what's next? The plastic cup?

"Give me liberty or give me death" - Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

I am awake...are you?

Scare tactics don't work on me. I am always on guard about my kids and anything they may be doing to endanger themselves or others. If they start random drug testing everyone (by your standards - admin, students, teachers, coaches) will they eventually come to my house with a plastic cup without cause? My govt is already listening to my phone calls to keep me from getting blown up by a terrorist...what's next? The plastic cup?

"Give me liberty or give me death" - Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

I am awake...are you?

Very well said.

You don't want your kids "rights" to be violated by them being required to take a drug test?! Again, my request is for all students, teachers, coaches, and administrators, to be subject to random drug testing. No one wants to believe or even think that "their" child would ever take drugs, drink, smoke, cuss, etc.

No, I do not want either my child's or my rights violated by what you suggest. Random test the teachers, coaches and administrators? Get serious, have you ever heard of the teacher's union. That'll never fly.

I'm not proposing to take anyones rights away, I'm proposing that we help those that need help.

That is exactly what you are proposing! And who doesn't want to help those that need help. But be careful, this is close to the "Single Path" and "No Child Left Behind" bull that is currently being forced down our throats. If you don't leave some children behind, where do we get our trades people, our laborers and as Judge Smails said in Caddyshack, "our ditch diggers."

You propose something that is completely unrealistic, violates constitutional rights and something that would be extremely expensive.

Bring corporal punishment and prayer back to the schools and REQUIRE that the parents do their primary job, which is to raise their children!

Edited by catsbackr

"Scare tactics", no. Reality, yes. "I am always on guard about my kids and anything they may be doing to endanger themselves or others." I applaud you and your kids! But, do you not think that drug usage happens with kids that have parents that feel they are keeping a "guard" on them?

"Bring corporal punishment and prayer back to the schools and REQUIRE that the parents do their primary job, which is to raise their children!" I absolutely agree with you! And who's "raising" your children while the parents are working and the kids are in school?

If my proposal is unconstitutional, too expensive, unrealistic, etc., what suggestions can you bring to the table that might help lessen the drug usage in our school system? Seriously, I'm open to suggestions.

"Scare tactics", no. Reality, yes. "I am always on guard about my kids and anything they may be doing to endanger themselves or others." I applaud you and your kids! But, do you not think that drug usage happens with kids that have parents that feel they are keeping a "guard" on them?

"Bring corporal punishment and prayer back to the schools and REQUIRE that the parents do their primary job, which is to raise their children!" I absolutely agree with you! And who's "raising" your children while the parents are working and the kids are in school?

If my proposal is unconstitutional, too expensive, unrealistic, etc., what suggestions can you bring to the table that might help lessen the drug usage in our school system? Seriously, I'm open to suggestions.

OK, rc, I went back and reread your original post. The child that died from the overdose was not in any way your fault because of the one time you did not talk to him at the basketball game. He was high at that game and would have remembered nothing of what you said. You might have called his parents and told them of his condition but it is 99% likely that they wouldn't have been able to do anything about it either, except to send him off to a rehab against his will when he sobered up. Chances are that they already knew about his drug habit. It might be the case that teachers and admin DID talk to the parents and they just didn't do anything or perhaps they didn't know what to do.

Perhaps, in your community, this boy's death has helped parents see that they need to know what their kids are doing with their lives (as much as possible). I, myself, have made friends with a few teachers in my children's high school and I come right out and ask them to keep an eye on my kids and that they need to tell me if they suspect anything. I talk to their classroom teachers on a regular basis and ask the questions about behavior, attendance, and attitude - not just grades. If I had any suspicion that my child was drinking or taking drugs, I would come right out and ask the teachers if my kid ever seems high or drugged in class. Since there are certain signs of steroid or supplement abuse, I certainly watch for them and talk to coaches. If I ever have a suspicion of any drug usage by my kids, I will have them drug tested myself. With all that I do to keep them from it, my kids might still get into trouble of some kind.

Drugs are a terrible problem, but it is my opinion that drinking is worse and much more prevalent. Teens drink and drive and think they are immortal. Then we bury a few of them and hope that our teens learn the very obvious lesson that they are made up of fragile flesh and blood.

We, as a community, must do what we can to help the kids be as safe as possible by informing the parents of a problem. We will help many, but some kids will do these unsafe things anyway. We simply cannot stop it all. Parents have got to learn to see what they need to see in order to try to protect their kids from dangers. If they need to work a little less and spend time with the kids, then maybe that is one answer. Maybe getting off the couch, turning off the tv, paying more attention might help, too. Maybe there are some parents that are doing everything they can and still their kids will get into trouble. There is no absolutely right answer, no instructions, that will make everything ok.

I just don't think random drug testing of students, teachers, admin, and coaches is the way to handle this. If a coach or teacher suspects a drug usage, they should call the parents in for a sit down. Then if parents want to, they can have their child tested. It has to be parents, not govt that takes responsibility.

If we are going to have a substantive discussion, please, let's not get hung up on silly semantics. When I say "guard" I mean keeping a watchful eye out. OK? Keeping a watchful "eye out" doesn't mean that I actually take my eye out of my head to watch them either...so let's put the word games aside.

I certainly don't want anyone using corporal punishment on my kids either. I don't hit my kids and I certainly don't want anyone else doing that. My kids pray outside of school with the family. They can also pray, if they want to, during the silent time given for this purpose at school. No need to make that mandatory. When I was in school, I used to pray a lot before tests! God usually sent me the message that I should have studied more. :lol:

Edited by Cowboys Up

for those who believe it is the government's responsibility to force good health on everyone, drugs are the wrong place to start.

more of these kids will eventually die from obesity related health problems than drugs. we need to mandate diet and exercise first. maybe we can have a government agent stop by your house every day, to check your fridge and monitor your workouts?

i ran into my old player "B" at the grocery store the other day. it was a pleasant surprise, after all these years.

i remember "B" back then. he had a lot of problems. problems at home, problems at school. he was not a very happy kid. i had no doubt that he was using illegal drugs back then.

ball meant a lot to him. i reckon it was one of the first places he got to taste success.

i always thought a carrot worked better than a stick.

he got his grades together, so he could play. he stayed out of trouble, so he could play. we talked a lot about what it took to succeed, about meeting our own expectations, not those others have for us.

"B" was a good player, but not a great one. he didnt advance in the sport, but he did graduate. he didnt change like magic into a perfect kid, but i really believed that the lessons he learned in ball would stay with him.

it was very satisfying to see in his face that he was glad to see me. it was even better to hear about how he was doing. married, with his own kids. and wearing a uniform that he wouldnt be wearing if he couldnt pass a drug test today. i have to say, i think sports did what it is supposed to do for "B", even if we didnt test him for drugs. he developed into a contributing member of society, not just another inmate.

all drug testing does is drive away the kids who most need what HS sports have to offer. i know that for sure, because once upon a time i was one of those kids myself.

so i reckon it comes down to what you hope to accomplish...

make yourself feel good by "cracking down" with symbolic measures,

or try to actually make a difference by letting coaches do what they were hired to do.

Laz, I'm a HS wrestling coach. I too have coached many success stories in my time and those success stories fortunately far outweigh the bad ones. As an ex-athlete, I attempt to perfect everything that I do. As such, although I know life has many "curves and turns" for each of us, I have been affected by those few "bad" stories. As a coach, as has been said many times, I know that I'm the only adult figure that some of my wrestlers may ever have. I accept that, and actually embrace it.

CowboyUp, thanks for the words of encouragement. Let my clarify my reasoning for holding myself responsible, as well as others, for this young mans eventual death. At Cody's funeral, I stood watching friends, family, teachers, and other coaches, walk in to the funeral home to pay their respects and watched them come out shaking their heads. As a few of us were consoling each other I mentioned that I had saw Cody at a basketball game a few nights before his death and knew that he was high. Two teachers, two students/athletes, and two other coaches were standing their reminiscing. Each and every person standing there mentioned that they knew that Cody was using drugs. I asked if any of them had tried to talk to him about it, all said no. Why? I remember this like it was yesterday. As we were all standing looking for answers, I asked this simple question. "If Cody was standing next to you on a curb at a busy intersection, would you knowingly let him step into oncoming traffic?" We all stood in silence and looked at each other.

Look, I don't know if mandatory random drug testing across the board, throughout each school system will work or would even be legal. No, I don't know if it would have saved Cody's life, or if it would save someone elses. I'm not perfect and never will be, but I'm trying to live my life for the rest of the days I have to never, ever, have to ask myself "why" I didn't make the attempt to help a kid that had made that "wrong turn".

Laz, I'm a HS wrestling coach. I too have coached many success stories in my time and those success stories fortunately far outweigh the bad ones. As an ex-athlete, I attempt to perfect everything that I do. As such, although I know life has many "curves and turns" for each of us, I have been affected by those few "bad" stories. As a coach, as has been said many times, I know that I'm the only adult figure that some of my wrestlers may ever have. I accept that, and actually embrace it.

CowboyUp, thanks for the words of encouragement. Let my clarify my reasoning for holding myself responsible, as well as others, for this young mans eventual death. At Cody's funeral, I stood watching friends, family, teachers, and other coaches, walk in to the funeral home to pay their respects and watched them come out shaking their heads. As a few of us were consoling each other I mentioned that I had saw Cody at a basketball game a few nights before his death and knew that he was high. Two teachers, two students/athletes, and two other coaches were standing their reminiscing. Each and every person standing there mentioned that they knew that Cody was using drugs. I asked if any of them had tried to talk to him about it, all said no. Why? I remember this like it was yesterday. As we were all standing looking for answers, I asked this simple question. "If Cody was standing next to you on a curb at a busy intersection, would you knowingly let him step into oncoming traffic?" We all stood in silence and looked at each other.

Look, I don't know if mandatory random drug testing across the board, throughout each school system will work or would even be legal. No, I don't know if it would have saved Cody's life, or if it would save someone elses. I'm not perfect and never will be, but I'm trying to live my life for the rest of the days I have to never, ever, have to ask myself "why" I didn't make the attempt to help a kid that had made that "wrong turn".

rc, it sounds like your wrestlers are in good hands with you as their coach.

No one that has been where you've been with Cody comes out unaffected. That doesn't mean that we need to mandate testing. We just need to change the intensity with which we do the things we can do as parents and community members. And pray for wisdom for our young people.

I'm actually the one in "good hands". I coach because I have a passion for trying to help kids, not just on the wrestling mat, football field, or baseball field. When the time comes that I can no longer make a positive impact on my athletes lives, that will be the time I know I should "retire". The situation with Cody was as simple as taking a little time out to share some wisdom and showing him that someone was concerned. My passion to coach, as well as my coaching philosophy, has changed dramatically since that time. What use to be graded by wins and losses, is now replaced by effort, determination, and the will to be a good citizen. A coach is much like a parent, we don't know our success and failures until the kids that we've had the privilege of having are out in society as adults. Then the "fruits of our labor", so to speak, will be the recognized.