New coach at Friendship announced

Eddie

Friendship has announced the hiring of a new softball coach (former FCS player Erica Powell). No mention was made as to what happened to Gaines -- which on the surface smells. He took 'em to three state tournaments in his three years a coach. Does anyone know if he got the axe, or just grew tired of teaching / coaching?

P.S. Powell comes to FCS from Hooper Academy in Alabama and she had a two-year stint as a JUCO coach at Wallace State in Al.

Friendship has announced the hiring of a new softball coach (former FCS player Erica Powell). No mention was made as to what happened to Gaines -- which on the surface smells. He took 'em to three state tournaments in his three years a coach. Does anyone know if he got the axe, or just grew tired of teaching / coaching?

P.S. Powell comes to FCS from Hooper Academy in Alabama and she had a two-year stint as a JUCO coach at Wallace State in Al.

Well Well ??????????????

I think, at least what i have been told, the girls took them selfs to state, he just hung out with them!!

Well Well ??????????????

I think, at least what i have been told, the girls took them selfs to state, he just hung out with them!!

I agree in the fact that the Friendship program has been loaded years past and will continue to be loaded with talent in the near future, there is no argueing this point. I completely disagree however in the statement that he "just hung out with them". Yeah- having a coach that gets along with the girls is key in a successful program and clutch in getting everything possible out of the ability these young ladies have, and this Coach Gaines did/does very well. Unless you have played for Coach Gaines, you don't understand his coaching behavior, and even if you have... many times it is lost among the players. I played for Coach Gaines for two years at FCS, and have absolutely NOTHING negative to say about him. There has, at no point, been any evidence of the "daddy ball" that has become so prevalent among high school teams and coaches; if there was- i would have never been given the opportunity to play. Coach Gaines is a great and fair coach who makes his players want to play to the best of their potential. It may seem, from the outside, that these players are playing solely on natural ability and reactions, when the insider knows all that Coach Gaines brings out in his players. I am sorry to see Coach leave, he was a great fit for these girls and he will be missed; however I wish the best of luck to the new coach.