Marion County Coaching situation

BigJ

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shasta Gatlin was a great player for me and comes from an outstanding family. She suffered a bad (freak) accident this year and will bounce back soon. If Marion County does not give her the softball job back when she recovers it will be a huge mistake. If her health allows, she will be a great coach in this state for a long time.

Thanks,

Gary Barfield

Motlow State

Shasta Gatlin was a great player for me and comes from an outstanding family. She suffered a bad (freak) accident this year and will bounce back soon. If Marion County does not give her the softball job back when she recovers it will be a huge mistake. If her health allows, she will be a great coach in this state for a long time.

Thanks,

Gary Barfield

Motlow State

I too support Shasta. As I understand it this was not a decision made by the Marion County school system THIS was a DECISION made by her. I also support David Moore and Darrell Layne. There dedication allowed 10 girls who love this sport the opportunity to play this past season. I just hope that Shasta's decision not to return does not effect the recruiting of deserving players at MCHS. Good luck to all the coaching staff and to the girls.

I too support Shasta. As I understand it this was not a decision made by the Marion County school system THIS was a DECISION made by her. I also support David Moore and Darrell Layne. There dedication allowed 10 girls who love this sport the opportunity to play this past season. I just hope that Shasta's decision not to return does not effect the recruiting of deserving players at MCHS. Good luck to all the coaching staff and to the girls.

me thinks that theyll be more "deserving" girls play next year. look 4 the numbers 2 go way up. coach laws not being the coach will not have a bad affect on girls wanting 2 play it will B the opposite.

me thinks that theyll be more "deserving" girls play next year. look 4 the numbers 2 go way up. coach laws not being the coach will not have a bad affect on girls wanting 2 play it will B the opposite.

The post I left was in reply to the coach at Motlow. I too think that the number of players will increase. I only meant that there are girls on this team with hopes of playing at the next level and that I did not want Coach Laws departure to affect the recruiting of MCHS softball. You can give Shasta some credit when it comes to recruiting several girls from the Valley did move on to play at the College level. I know this girls deserved that from there hard work, but I think Coach Laws did help to a certain degree. I hope there are several more girls that are given the same chance.

I have a daughter that played for Coach Laws and loved it. Coach Laws taught her that is was a priveledge to play softball not a right and her playing position had to be earned. She also taught my daughter that there are responsibilities that coming with playing the game. I am grateful for all that she has done for our softball program and hope that she returns soon. There have been a lot of rumors about Shasta saying this or doing that, but if you really want to know the truth abuot what happened, call her and ask her.

I have read a lot of comments on this board and am really shocked at how little support the parents give the coaches in our area. If you do not respect the coach or person in charge, you teach your children to not respect them.

I want my daughter to be prepared to play softball on a college level and I believe that Shast helped these girls achieve that goal.

I was aroung alot of the highschool softball girls during the off season and what I witnessed was that the ones that quit were the ones not willing to work for their position and expected it to be handed to them because of who they are, who their parents are, or because their parents coached and that is how it has been handled then.

Coach Laws is a great coach and a great person who loves the girls and this game. I for one am sorry to see her go, but I hope she will be back.