2006 All-Midstate Team

timbdp

Sunbelt tournament had nothing to do with high school baseball. I don't know what kind of stats Sonny Gray had -- yes, I know he's a good pitcher -- but his team did not have a good postseason.

I would say the team was selected based on stats and recommendation of coaches. The Tennessean's staff would have selected the team since it's their team.

I learned this evening that the team is based on batting average only. The high school coaches turn in the batting averages (which many times are not correct and why college coaches don't look at them) and players position and that is how the team is compiled. What a joke!!!!!! When did fielding %, base running, OB% & slugging % become less of a statistic than batting average? You can tell that several sports writers have never read MONEY BALL and how you select baseball players.

Edited by cbg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned this evening that the team is based on batting average only. The high school coaches turn in the batting averages (which many times are not correct and why college coaches don't look at them) and players position and that is how the team is compiled. What a joke!!!!!! When did fielding %, base running, OB% & slugging % become less of a statistic than batting average? You can tell that several sports writers have never read MONEY BALL and how you select baseball players.

From someone who has been a part of picking these teams in the past, I guarantee you that batting average is not the only stat looked at when picking all-area or all-state teams. You look at the whole package, BA, HR, RBI, SB, runs scored, on base percentage, etc.

It is not the individual newspaper's fault if a coach did not provide all the pertinent information needed to select a team. When you cover 70+ schools, as most of the metropolitan dailies, there is no way that any reporter on the staff can see all the top players in order to select the team.

It's even tougher to pick an all-state team -- yes, I assume you'll be complaining about it next month when the TSWA releases it -- when there's not one sports writer in the entire state who sees every top prospect. Most likely, again, they'll be some good players left off the team because a coach does not provide all the pertinent stats.

I don't know where you got your information but this is definetly not the case!!!!

I don't know where you got your information but this is definetly not the case!!!!

I got my information from a very well known and respected high school coach. Hey I don't have a dog in the fight but I didn't like the information that I received.

I got my information from a very well known and respected high school coach. Hey I don't have a dog in the fight but I didn't like the information that I received.

Your well-known and respected high school coach gave you bad information.

Let's just say that I've produced these teams in the past and have some insight on this year's team -- prior to publication -- so I know a little about how the team is selected.