Tennessee Flight wins Nike Basketball on the Bayou

Lets face it, AAU and "shoe tournaments" are individual tournaments. There is no team concept at all. Players and parents are in it for themselves. Most of the time there is no defense and on offense it is a one on one show. Players pick up all kinds of bad habits that are brought back to their high school teams.

my aau coach does nothing but fundamental skills & drills for def and off. we don't play 1 on 1, at the young age a 1 person team won't go far. our coach has shown us how to play bball not the run-n-gun stuff. most of our players can out play most middle school players by far. our middle school coach likes to get players that can dribble with both hands, move their feet on def and that can shoot. a good aau coach can break the bad habits learned from playing rec and school bball

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishman - Don't know what parent you talk to but I got the book from that game vs. Dayton and 67 to 51 is not single digit and rested alot of kids in this game due to having a tough game later that evening vs. PA Rock Solid. At the older age it all about getting the kids seen so they can have the opportunity to play college basketball. Basketball on the Bayou had over 250 college coaches. I don't know the exact number like wbballjunkie but I do know that everytime any of our teams played there was well over 40 to 60 schools watching and at times more than that. What more can a parent ask for? Our alumni list speaks for itself

Does our program teach the game? Ask all the parents that play in our program and they will tell you we teach. Our practices are open to anyone and you can see for yourself that our kids learn alot about the game and they also learn how to play with great kids around them like they will have in college. Our program speaks for itself so I don't have to waste my time in explaining it so if you want to learn anything about it then go to www.tennesseeflight.com

For people to say that all AAU teams do is run and gun, disregard teaching the game and the coaches are wannabes is ridiculous.Our organization is not one of the top teams in the state but most of our coaches either are coaches in middle school, high school or have played the game collegiately and we as showtime has stated are happy to have helped fourteen girls reach the collegiate level over the past three years and we don't even make it to the shoe sponsored tourneys.I think most AAU coaches are more involved in the recruiting of their players than the high school coaches who often times just relay letters of inerest that was gained thru AAU participation.If your child or one you know is on a team coached by wannabes and isn't being taught anything then that is unfortunate because AAU or travel ball in TN. is much better than that.I really appreciate the high school coaches and most want their players playing so they have an even better chance to improve in the off season.Take a poll of high school coaches.

For people to say that all AAU teams do is run and gun, disregard teaching the game and the coaches are wannabes is ridiculous.Our organization is not one of the top teams in the state but most of our coaches either are coaches in middle school, high school or have played the game collegiately and we as showtime has stated are happy to have helped fourteen girls reach the collegiate level over the past three years and we don't even make it to the shoe sponsored tourneys.I think most AAU coaches are more involved in the recruiting of their players than the high school coaches who often times just relay letters of inerest that was gained thru AAU participation.If your child or one you know is on a team coached by wannabes and isn't being taught anything then that is unfortunate because AAU or travel ball in TN. is much better than that.I really appreciate the high school coaches and most want their players playing so they have an even better chance to improve in the off season.Take a poll of high school coaches.

What is the name of your team and what age groups do they participate?

For anyone who thinks that it is the AAU coach that develops the player into a good player, you need to get out from under that rock. Sure, they want to take credit when the player goes to college, but face it, practing a couple times a week (vs practicing 10 to 11 months with their high school team) and playing some tournaments in the summer does not make a good player. Also the player must work on their on to be great. Also, a player that might be the best player in their district or region (at any level) might be the 9th or 10th best player on their AAU team. AAU coaches should win when they can pick the best 10 players in the state or surrounding states year after year. I bet high school coaches would love to be able to do that. There is no team concept in AAU, period. The high school coaches that are good ones will tell you that they could care less about AAU.

For anyone who thinks that it is the AAU coach that develops the player into a good player, you need to get out from under that rock. Sure, they want to take credit when the player goes to college, but face it, practing a couple times a week (vs practicing 10 to 11 months with their high school team) and playing some tournaments in the summer does not make a good player. Also the player must work on their on to be great. Also, a player that might be the best player in their district or region (at any level) might be the 9th or 10th best player on their AAU team. AAU coaches should win when they can pick the best 10 players in the state or surrounding states year after year. I bet high school coaches would love to be able to do that. There is no team concept in AAU, period. The high school coaches that are good ones will tell you that they could care less about AAU.

Anyone who truly follows prep bball knows that the real difference between AAU/Travel Team ball (summer) and high school ball is not necessarily coaching style, ability, or experience. Summer play provides kids the kind of exposure that only one or two players on a given high school team might get. As a matter of fact, many kids usually get looked at in high school because they have played in one or more "high exposure" events like an AAU tournament or NCAA sanctioned summer event. Please don't try to make all high school coaches out to be saints in this. I've seen first hand kids not get any help from high school coaches in getting recruited; hs coaches thwarting efforts of college coaches to recruit players, and any number of other examples. I am not pointing a finger at all high school coaches. The deal with some of those high school coaches who could care less about AAU is usually about the conflict between the kid's AAU schedule and the coaches desire to have their whole team together during those periods in the summer (team camps etc.) Having half or more of their players, or even only their star player, not available is why some don't like summer ball. This lessens their chances of improving their team.

Furthermore, some high school coaches have no desire in developing players into well rounded players. For example many players cannot compete on the next level because a high school coach plays them their entire high school career at a position that helps the team, but in no way does it enable them to play that position at the next level. True, the kid with exceptional foresight and work ethic will get in the gym and do it on their own, but usually any time spent in the gym during the off season is still dictated by what the high school coach wants them to work on. Its about the kid doing what the team needs to help the team win, regardless of the fact that the kid doesn't get to work on developing skills to play the position they would actually play at the next level - if they are lucky enough to be seen and recruited. Don't knock all AAU and travel team coaches. Yes, they might get to pick from the cream of the crop to place on their teams. But the fact is that kids get recruited, offered and signed because of the exposure they get in the summer playing against the best competition nationwide throughout the summer. Only a very small percentage of high school programs are high profile enough that they can provide an opportunity like that; and most given the chance would pass on it because they don't have a team of stars; but a couple stars maybe and 8-10 role players.

my older sister went from sitting the bench in 9th grade to a starting position the next year on her varsity team. and it was mostly because she spent her entire spring, summer and fall with a really good AAU coach and team that helped her skills and confidence. the varsity coach was really happy with her and other players that played aau.

Hedgehog, you brought up something good with the conflict sometimes with AAU conflicting with high school practice or team camps. High school is about the team, not the individual, so if there is a high school practice or team camp at the same time as an AAU practice or tournament, which one do you think the player should attend? Should the player skip out on their teammates, which then causes friction, and attend AAU? Should the coach punish for this? You can see why coaches don't like travel ball. Again, high school is about the team. If a kid is the best point guard or post, etc., on the team, why then should a high school coach play them at another position that does not give them as good a chance of winning? If a player is told that their role on their AAU team is to spot up and shoot the three, that may be the opposite of what is expected of them on their high school team for the team to be successful. Then players and parents don't understand the difference. The goal in high school is to try to win by doing what's best for the team, not the individual. You won't find any coach that is only concerned about just one individual and not the team. Its not the name on the back of the uniform that's important, it's the name on the front.

If a kid is the best point guard or post, etc., on the team, why then should a high school coach play them at another position that does not give them as good a chance of winning? If a player is told that their role on their AAU team is to spot up and shoot the three, that may be the opposite of what is expected of them on their high school team for the team to be successful. Then players and parents don't understand the difference. The goal in high school is to try to win by doing what's best for the team, not the individual.

CATS1, you also make some good points. I only question the philosophy that says I have a 5' 5" player who plays the post for their high school team because that is where the coach determines thats where they are best needed. Then, when (if) they are scouted by college coaches who never see them play the point, or on the wing, where does the player go to (1) develop these guard skills, (2) be scouted and recruited to play a guard spot. This happens all the time in girls AND boys basketball. Every kid that plays high school basketball does not play for a wise, great, or compassionate coach. Some coaches believe that kids should make every sacrifice for the team. I don't disagree with individuals making sacrifices for the team. Team is about taking a group of individuals and making them better collectively as a unit. But for kids who desire to play at the next level, SOME (not all) coaches do nothing in return to help the player develop their skills they would need to play their "true" position at the next level.

Coaches have the right to play whomever, wherever and whenever they want. I acknowledge and accept that right. I am just saying don't hate the kid, their parents, or AAU coaches for giving kids a chance to play high level competition at a position they would be most likely recruited for at the next level; especially when in their high school situatioin they never get any skill development at that position.

Hedgehog, you brought up something good with the conflict sometimes with AAU conflicting with high school practice or team camps. High school is about the team, not the individual, so if there is a high school practice or team camp at the same time as an AAU practice or tournament, which one do you think the player should attend? Should the player skip out on their teammates, which then causes friction, and attend AAU? Should the coach punish for this? You can see why coaches don't like travel ball. Again, high school is about the team. If a kid is the best point guard or post, etc., on the team, why then should a high school coach play them at another position that does not give them as good a chance of winning? If a player is told that their role on their AAU team is to spot up and shoot the three, that may be the opposite of what is expected of them on their high school team for the team to be successful. Then players and parents don't understand the difference. The goal in high school is to try to win by doing what's best for the team, not the individual. You won't find any coach that is only concerned about just one individual and not the team. Its not the name on the back of the uniform that's important, it's the name on the front.

wheew hold the presses and take off the blinders......its negativity like this post that hurts the teams /whether travel or school. The school coaches I've had the privilage of working with embrace the AAU season and see the difference it has made in their players that can compete at the AAU level. Also don't forget that a little compromise goes a long way..... if you're truly concerned with the kids and their future.

Trrotercoach, what do you mean by compromise? Do you mean that a high school coach should not try to win by allowing kids to play in positions that fit the individual just so that the individual can impress college coaches? And are you also saying that it is ok for kids to miss high school practices and team camps to attend AAU stuff? If your answers are "Yes", please list all of the SUCCESSFUL coaches that do this. I bet you can't find any. I agree with CATS1, the high school team comes first over the individual and over AAU. If an individual is able to make it to next level while staying within the concept of the team, then great. The problem is that too many kids and parents place AAU above the high school team and think that winning AAU championships are more important than trying to win district, region, and state championships. This is some, not all. As long as there is travel ball and high school ball going on, there will sometimes be conflict. There will never be compromise because of some kids, parents, high school coaches, and AAU coaches.

Trrotercoach, what do you mean by compromise? Do you mean that a high school coach should not try to win by allowing kids to play in positions that fit the individual just so that the individual can impress college coaches? And are you also saying that it is ok for kids to miss high school practices and team camps to attend AAU stuff? If your answers are "Yes", please list all of the SUCCESSFUL coaches that do this. I bet you can't find any. I agree with CATS1, the high school team comes first over the individual and over AAU. If an individual is able to make it to next level while staying within the concept of the team, then great. The problem is that too many kids and parents place AAU above the high school team and think that winning AAU championships are more important than trying to win district, region, and state championships. This is some, not all. As long as there is travel ball and high school ball going on, there will sometimes be conflict. There will never be compromise because of some kids, parents, high school coaches, and AAU coaches.

blah blah blah...man some of you people read between lines that dont exist....thriving on conflict....i was talkin about compromise between the school coaches and the aau coaches...you know working together for the kids rather than igniting ego contests like you are talking about.