Dobyns-Bennett vs Knox Bearden

ArtVandalay

Bearden was not better than I expected, but they are an excellent team. Well coached. I was very impressed with the Bearden defensive squad. They were very aggressive and hung in there with DB for three quarters. A very hard hitting game. Thanks Bearden for a much needed tough opponent.

DB – 10

Bearden and the Officials – 6

Normally I would not comment on the officiating, but this was some of the worst I have seen, perhaps since the Science-Hill, / DB game in 2004. I expect a penalty could be called on any play…but it seems Friday night was glaringly lopsided. Of Bearden’s 10 offensive series, 5 were extended by defensive penalty calls. Perhaps some were justified, but I witnessed holding and pass interference on Bearden to the same extent that were not flagged.

The most glaring call, and a game changer, came in Bearden’s 4th series on a 1st & 10 from the Bearden 20 yd line. DB #19 (Pappas) put a hit on the Bearden Receiver (#19) causing a fumble which DB recovered. Although it’s not clear, it appears the ruling was foreword progress was stopped so it was ruled down (2-yd reception). At the time, and later confirmed by game film, this was a tackle and fumble. Of course his forward progress was stopped!!!!!! That’s what the DB linebackers do to ball carriers. He was not stopped and driven back; he was hit, fumbled and driven to the ground in an instant. Had this play stood as it should, DB would have very likely scored a touchdown, and perhaps prevented the ensuing punt fumble that lead to the only Bearden score.

Oh- by the way, Burton did score that touchdown on the last DB offensive series in the 1st half.

DB – 21

Bearden - 0

If I were DB, I would protest this crew.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here is my report from the game.

First off, it was a great night for football. Perfect weather and temperature. Game was very well attended by DB faithful. Nice class shown by Bearden admin. in having a moment is silence for the young DB band member that recently passed.

I think this was a case of coulda-shoulda-woulda. There were probably a half dozen plays in this game that could have turned the game either way. Several were plays that simply weren't made.

Bearden had several chances, but for whatever reason they just didn't make the plays when good fortune presented itsself. Two dropped ints come to mind. I also wondered why Bearden chose to kick a FG instead of going for it in the first half. They ended up missing the FG.

DB had a chance to get a TD in the first half, but had to settle for a FG. Nice stand by the Bulldogs. Shame on DB for not scoring from inside the 1 yard line.

I thought Bearden was tougher and better than expected. They played tough, never backed down and hit hard. They more or less controlled the game for three quarters. However, when it counted DB made the plays that turned the game. DB owned the 4th quarter. Dominating, punishing runs by Pappas. Defense controlled Bearden on the 4th. Brandon Thompson, Pappas, etc. played well.

My player of the game - Cody Sensabaugh. Two ints and a TD reception.

DB must get better play from the QB position. This was not Burton's best effort, but he showed up in the 4th when it counted. Nice passes and a couple of nice runs. Also, too many penalties and mistakes.

No offense to Bearden, but this is the type of game that DB wins and Bearden, well, losses. When it came to nut-cutting-time, DB made the plays.

I think this game will serve as a character builder for both squads. Even though Bearden lost, they learned alot about themselves. They will be better for it. Same goes for DB.

BTW, refs were typical. By that I mean they were bad.

Best of luck to Bearden. Pound the admirals!

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

A very perceptive analysis by roll tribe roll. You are either a sports writer or should be one. This is a better piece of work then any newspaper published or any web site set posted. At any rate, you know your football. I also thought that Direwolf's article was very good. That is the way I saw the play. Keep posting and call it the way you see it.

roll tribe

Bearden was not better than I expected, but they are an excellent team. Well coached. I was very impressed with the Bearden defensive squad. They were very aggressive and hung in there with DB for three quarters. A very hard hitting game. Thanks Bearden for a much needed tough opponent.

DB – 10

Normally I would not comment on the officiating, but this was some of the worst I have seen, perhaps since the Science-Hill, / DB game in 2004. I expect a penalty could be called on any play…but it seems Friday night was glaringly lopsided. Of Bearden’s 10 offensive series, 5 were extended by defensive penalty calls. Perhaps some were justified, but I witnessed holding and pass interference on Bearden to the same extent that were not flagged.

The most glaring call, and a game changer, came in Bearden’s 4th series on a 1st & 10 from the Bearden 20 yd line. DB #19 (Pappas) put a hit on the Bearden Receiver (#19) causing a fumble which DB recovered. Although it’s not clear, it appears the ruling was foreword progress was stopped so it was ruled down (2-yd reception). At the time, and later confirmed by game film, this was a tackle and fumble. Of course his forward progress was stopped!!!!!! That’s what the DB linebackers do to ball carriers. He was not stopped and driven back; he was hit, fumbled and driven to the ground in an instant. Had this play stood as it should, DB would have very likely scored a touchdown, and perhaps prevented the ensuing punt fumble that lead to the only Bearden score.

Oh- by the way, Burton did score that touchdown on the last DB offensive series in the 1st half.

DB – 21

Bearden - 0

DB – 10

DB – 21

Bearden - 0

What I saw was a good high school game, first of all!

The officiating was no worse than what I've seen for years.

Regarding the "most glaring", I notice you did not mention the DB player holding on to the Bearden's player jersey near the middle of the field (it was stretched out so far it looked like a sail) that was NOT called, which prevented a completed pass & forced a punt!

I thought the Bearden players showed more class. They didn't try to act like "tush hogs" -- they just played hard football.

I saw only 1 reason that DB won the game. He was wearing #9 and had a very good game.