TSSAA'S against multiple games on weekends?

cakes

I find it interesting that TSSAA isn't allowing soccer players to play club ball or anything with more players than 6 v. 6 which includes TN. ODP.

They also will no longer allow soccer players in season to go to colleges and "tryout" with the school they interested in.

My understanding has always been that they don't want the players to get overworked . Yet they can run cross country and play soccer. Or track and soccer in the Spring.

I also don't understand why they allow these tournaments like the GPS and Baylor tournaments where the teams play one game Friday and two on Saturday. Last weekend's best game was supposed to be Notre Dame v. FRA and it was for about 10 minutes. Then FRA realized they were fried after playing 2 tough games prior.

Think about it-- TSSAA let's them play 3 80 minute games in less than 24 hours !!

We don't even do that in club ball.

I don't think that they should be allowed to tell players what they can and can't do away from school ball -- it's none of their business imo -- but I guess it's another area they will regulate eventually.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that TSSAA isn't allowing soccer players to play club ball or anything with more players than 6 v. 6 which includes TN. ODP.

They also will no longer allow soccer players in season to go to colleges and "tryout" with the school they interested in.

My understanding has always been that they don't want the players to get overworked . Yet they can run cross country and play soccer. Or track and soccer in the Spring.

I also don't understand why they allow these tournaments like the GPS and Baylor tournaments where the teams play one game Friday and two on Saturday. Last weekend's best game was supposed to be Notre Dame v. FRA and it was for about 10 minutes. Then FRA realized they were fried after playing 2 tough games prior.

Think about it-- TSSAA let's them play 3 80 minute games in less than 24 hours !!

We don't even do that in club ball.

I don't think that they should be allowed to tell players what they can and can't do away from school ball -- it's none of their business imo -- but I guess it's another area they will regulate eventually.

Taking nothing away from Notre Dame as they are a GREAT and classy team, and I wish them the best for the rest of the year. However, several of the FRA players were experiencing dangerous heat effects (and yes Notre Dame was playing in the same heat) and had played their hearts out in a very hard 1-0 heartbreaking loss to a very good Baylor team that morning. So after the first 10 minutes FRA had what I could only characterize as their JV team on the field. Hope we meet Notre Dame again in November and can give this excellent team a more competitive game.

Edited by zzzzz

The problem is the coaches not the players. They compete for time so what happens is select coach A says you have to practice from 7-9 p.m. and school coach B says you have to practice from 3-5 or you cant play. It is not as much to protect the girls from overwork but to protect against coaches who demand too much. Also to save high school soccer from select teams.

I think it is a good rule. Not sure about the tryout rule.

The problem is the coaches not the players. They compete for time so what happens is select coach A says you have to practice from 7-9 p.m. and school coach B says you have to practice from 3-5 or you cant play. It is not as much to protect the girls from overwork but to protect against coaches who demand too much. Also to save high school soccer from select teams.

I think it is a good rule. Not sure about the tryout rule.

I don't think that the select coaches would require a normal committment to their team as they would during the select season. None of the parents would allow it. All the clubs are parent driven across the country.

Some of the high end clubs might try, but those examples would be in areas of huge numbers of players and the better players may not be playing high school soccer anyway.

Right now the girls miss out on a couple of good college prospect tournaments as well as not being allowed to participate in ODP with the younger ages and not being allowed to tryout/train at schools they are interested in.

Also, again, TSSAA won't stop someone from playing two sports in highschool at the same time. What's the difference if you're playing soccer and running cross country ? Or soccer and track in the Spring ?The girls can play select soccer and run track in the Spring but can't play school soccer and go to a tournament with a club team in the fall?

Most of the surrounding states' athletic associations do not impose their will on the student-athletes away from school. Most of the other states can do both at the same time and the parents end up deciding what is best for their child. Not the state.

I think TSSAA is arbitrary and is out of bounds with some of their decisions.

The bottom line is that

You can play for your ODP team (regional and national), you just need to contact the TSSAA and get permission. Brandon Tarr and Daniel Kelly did it when they played. (Unless they have changed the rules for the girls)

I'm with you on getting the TSSAA out of club soccer (at least out of season... I agree with mtnman, because I don't have to fight with a club coach for games and practices. On the flip side of that, I also show the club coach the same respect in my off season, and I don't give the club players a hard time about missing work outs or weights). The 50% proposal NEEDS to be voted down.

I also know that the try-out rule is different for different divisions of NCAA and NAIA. Not sure which college you are looking into.

You can play for your ODP team (regional and national), you just need to contact the TSSAA and get permission. Brandon Tarr and Daniel Kelly did it when they played. (Unless they have changed the rules for the girls)

I'm with you on getting the TSSAA out of club soccer (at least out of season... I agree with mtnman, because I don't have to fight with a club coach for games and practices. On the flip side of that, I also show the club coach the same respect in my off season, and I don't give the club players a hard time about missing work outs or weights). The 50% proposal NEEDS to be voted down.

I also know that the try-out rule is different for different divisions of NCAA and NAIA. Not sure which college you are looking into.

It's still incredible to me that someone would have to get permission from TSSAA to participate with the National team (or any other team for that matter).

Again, with the states that don't regulate athletes away from the school, select soccer has not conflicted with school soccer in a disruptive manner that I'm aware of. The players have the opportunity to attend important tournaments if needed and to train with college teams that they are interest them (Naia and D3 allow this).

I still am incredulous that TSSAA knows better than someone's parents.

they don't need permission from tssaa to play for the national team, they just need to inform them.

And there ARE conflicts in the states without limits on what the players can play

But if they don't inform them, they penalize their school. TSSAA decides to approve them to play for the national team. Would they approve them to play for the regional team ? state team ? district tryouts ?

There may be conflicts in the other states, but there aren't dramatic ones that I'm aware of on the high school level. Parents get to decide what is best for their children, not an athletic board, and they seem to make the right decision as high school soccer continues to exist in these other states.

TSSAA does not know what is best for the individual athlete !

they don't need permission from tssaa to play for the national team, they just need to inform them.

And there ARE conflicts in the states without limits on what the players can play

You are right, in a way... they don't need permission to play on the national team, but they did need approval to play highschool soccer while they are (kind of crazy, but I guess there is a need to get approval since the rules are pretty clear about playing in any other soccer game but your own during season).

Taking nothing away from Notre Dame as they are a GREAT and classy team, and I wish them the best for the rest of the year. However, several of the FRA players were experiencing dangerous heat effects (and yes Notre Dame was playing in the same heat) and had played their hearts out in a very hard 1-0 heartbreaking loss to a very good Baylor team that morning. So after the first 10 minutes FRA had what I could only characterize as their JV team on the field. Hope we meet Notre Dame again in November and can give this excellent team a more competitive game.

I agree that FRA played perhaps the hardest schedule of the weekend, with GPS, Baylor, and Notre Dame. Notre Dame, though, was also playing a hard schedule, with ECS and Centennial. Notre Dame was also coming off the emotional game against Centennial where Anna Fisher was injured and the game was stopped with her being taken to the hospital.

The fact remains that on a hot 3-game weekend, the team with the deepest bench had the advantage. Notre Dame probably played 20 players in the game against FRA. I don't know exactly how many subs FRA used, but it seems like either their bench wasn't as deep, or wasn't used as extensively.

Teams like to play in these tournaments because they get 3 games yet it only counts as 2 against the regular season limit (of 15?)

I'm curious which club teams you're discussing that aren't allowed to play 3 games in a 24 hour period??Any tournament we've participated in always has at least 3 games , hopefully 4 :lol: .On ocassion with a semifinal scheduled, the girls have even had 3 games on a Sunday.Yes, it's hot but if we'd been down at the Atlanta tournament this past weekend with the boys, we would have been scheduled for the same amount of games. K

I agree that FRA played perhaps the hardest schedule of the weekend, with GPS, Baylor, and Notre Dame. Notre Dame, though, was also playing a hard schedule, with ECS and Centennial. Notre Dame was also coming off the emotional game against Centennial where Anna Fisher was injured and the game was stopped with her being taken to the hospital.

The fact remains that on a hot 3-game weekend, the team with the deepest bench had the advantage. Notre Dame probably played 20 players in the game against FRA. I don't know exactly how many subs FRA used, but it seems like either their bench wasn't as deep, or wasn't used as extensively.

Teams like to play in these tournaments because they get 3 games yet it only counts as 2 against the regular season limit (of 15?)

Bingo DonC. FRA didn't sub extensively after the first 10 minutes because they played the girls who don't get to play much when the games really count. 8 of the 11 starters hardly played at all. Just wanted to add that it's pretty obvious that both you and I are pretty bias, and I'm sure Notre Dame didn't play most of its starter after it got the lead, however, I hope Notre Dame goes undefeated and is #1 when they get to State, so if FRA does have the chance to play them again, the girls will really have the added motivation to play their hearts out. Notre Dame deserves to be #1 in A/AA, and I'm sure that's where they will be when the rankings come out. Again Notre Dame is a excellent and classy team team and I hope by the end of the season FRA can put it together as they usually do.

Edited by zzzzz