Private School vs. Public School

Nature Boy

Patsfan123 has asked why I think it is and advantage that KC is a wealthy private school in regard to developing their volleyball program. In reality I am speaking of all private schools that compete in the public school arena.

I am sorry to say that volleyball seems to be a “white collar” sport in many regards. The vast majority of parents in the public school systems can’t afford or must make great sacrifices to develop their daughters through the club system. Many of these “white collar” parents also have the means to send their children to private schools. If a private school is developing a strong volleyball program (e.g. KC) what is to prevent parents from school shopping. This is an unfair advantage.

I am not criticizing these schools by any means. I think they serve a wonderful purpose, but they should compete against other private schools. It is also my understanding that some tuition costs are offset by donations from churches or other organizations associated with the school. I have no problem with this, but surely it provides an unfair advantage allowing more potential student athletes to attend the school.

Our student athletes and parents work very hard to raise money through the booster club. Such is the nature of a minor girls sport in the public school system. I also think there is something very special about a team made up of hometown girls. They take what they’ve and make the best of it. It is no doubt that THE RIDGE makes the best of it.

If you don’t know the FRO it is time to GO and see the SHOW.

THE RIDGE vs. AC tonight at the Coach “Open Up a Can” Neely Gymnasium.

The Nature Boy says three and out with a long drive home to East Tennessee for the Lady Mavs.

Wooooooooooo!

Patsfan123 has asked why I think it is and advantage that KC is a wealthy private school in regard to developing their volleyball program. In reality I am speaking of all private schools that compete in the public school arena.

I am sorry to say that volleyball seems to be a “white collar” sport in many regards. The vast majority of parents in the public school systems can’t afford or must make great sacrifices to develop their daughters through the club system. Many of these “white collar” parents also have the means to send their children to private schools. If a private school is developing a strong volleyball program (e.g. KC) what is to prevent parents from school shopping. This is an unfair advantage.

I am not criticizing these schools by any means. I think they serve a wonderful purpose, but they should compete against other private schools. It is also my understanding that some tuition costs are offset by donations from churches or other organizations associated with the school. I have no problem with this, but surely it provides an unfair advantage allowing more potential student athletes to attend the school.

Our student athletes and parents work very hard to raise money through the booster club. Such is the nature of a minor girls sport in the public school system. I also think there is something very special about a team made up of hometown girls. They take what they’ve and make the best of it. It is no doubt that THE RIDGE makes the best of it.

The Nature Boy says three and out with a long drive home to East Tennessee for the Lady Mavs.

Wooooooooooo!

To begin with, I think you get to enjoy some exciting volleyball tonite....have fun.

For the private schools that don't give scholorships, it can be double edged sword. At any given point in a match KC could have 5 players on the court all from the same middle school team (the middle school probably only had 45 girls in it). An additional 4 girls were on that team that couldn't afford the private school tuition and are playing VB at public high schools. Public schools have an advantage because all the girls from one school can go to the same high school.

Just hit a brick wall, don't have the energy or inclination to pursue this again. KC will need MB's when the current ones graduate.....anybody know where we can recruit a couple?

Just to clarify, what Hamilton County school is Laura "actually" zoned to go to?

Are the Brock sisters at East Ridge because their mom coaches there? I didn't know that if true?

Edit to say that this thread will probably get moved to the Private/Public forum.

Edited by Cowboys Up

Wooooooooooo!

Just a gentle reminder that there is a forum for the Public vs. Private Debate so don't be surprise or offended if this thread gets moved.

P-Fan, why are you always so defensive? If you read my post, you would see that I am not talking about KC specifically. Take a big picture view of the topic, and address my points. The world does not revolve around your view of KC. Climb on top of the brick wall and see something other than green.

I have to GO and see the FRO in case you don’t KNOW.

Wooooooooo!

Are the Brock sisters at East Ridge because their mom coaches there? I didn't know that if true?

CU, thanks for the correction (both Brock's not just Laura) and you are right that they go there because there Mom is a coach there. I was not trying to say there is anything wrong with that (not at all) just referring to NB's point about "hometown" girls. And again, not that there isn't a strong "blood-line" with ER but just thought it was interesting NB said what he did, considering.

Not sure how you account for Red Bank, Soddy-Daisy and Ooltewah being good.

Seems to me it is more an issue of the best players out of M.S. are going to find a way to go to the best volleyball schools.

That would be:

Baylor, GPS, Notre Dame, Ooltewah, East Ridge, Red Bank or Soddy-Daisy.