Cookeville Vs. Warren Co.

Phoenix

Warren County looked good in this one and if they continue to improve like they have been so far, they could come out 6-4 or 5-5

Warren Co has certainly been improving each week. Last week against White Co the offense show some signs of life and made improvements over the Lincoln Co game. This week the coaches really came together with a great game plan that almost worked. The coaches adapted the offense to use the tools they had available...even if those tools are not as fast as they would like. The defense didn't play all that bad at all..just couldn't get a hold of #3 on about three or four plays.

For those of you who were not there the game went mostly like this....

Warren Co gets the ball first. Puts together what looked to be a nice drive (about three or 4 first downs I think) but stalls and punts. Cookeville gets a couple of good offensive plays off then Langford breaks one for 65 yards. 6-0 Cookeville. Warren puts together a nice ground drive and keeps the ball into the second quarter and scores and goes up 7-6. Warren Co defense then steps up and shuts down Cookeville for most of the rest of the 2nd quarter very well. Warren Co has some success but is not able to get a good drive going all the way. The last minute of the 1st half was ridiculous. Warren Co had the ball with less than 1 minute at mid field and first down. A scramble on a pass attempt ends with a fumble and now Cookevilles got the ball. They give the ball to #3 again and he's off to about the 25 of Warren Co. A (bad call I think) facemask and a subsequent personal foul puts Cookeville at about the Warren Co 4 with 9.something seconds left. A real good call, pass, and great catch on a corner pattern and then a 2-point conversion (by you guessed it #3) puts Cookeville up at the half 14-7.

2ns half. Cookeville gets the kick. 1st play from scrimage..who else but Langford (#3) goes about 75 yards and Cookeville is up 20-7. Warren Co answers back with another nice looking long ground drive which included one pass to Mr. Chase Officer for about 30 or so yards (EDIT - This may have been the way WC scored the third TD - the pass to Officer - I've slept since then - EDIT). A few power ground plays later and Warren Co is back in it down 20-14. Warren Co defense holds and gets the ball back and things are looking good from the east side of Nunley Stadium. From here things get sloppy and my memory get weak. WC offense gets not much and Cookeville gets the ball back. A few plays later and lightening strike again. #3 is off on another one of his long scampers but Chase Officers catches him this time. Cookeville is able to get it in then goes for two and is up 28-14. Warren Co is not finished. Another good drive and Warren Co is only down by 7 at 28-21. You just had to think big Mo was trying to get on WC's side but all for naught.

Way to many penalties - most of which WC readily deserved. I think there were two turnovers each. WC had a long pass near the end zone intercepted late in the game. Kyle Mullican (WC's Jr. QB) handled the ball pretty well all night though. WC utilized several running backs - all doing well. The Warren Co O-line did just fine. Cookeville's best offensive showing was in the final possession of the game to run the clock out.

I don't know how many yards Langford had but it must have been 300 or so - mostly on just four particular carries. The really bad news...Dustin Langford (#3) is a junior.

Edited by jcm

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Langford may end up being very good.This was his best showing to date.

What happened on the CHS touchdowns? Are they missing the extra point? :unsure:

Good luck to the Pioneers in the rest of the season.

THE SQUAD :)

I think one was missed and one was blocked. They were 2 for 2 going for 2 - 1st on the 2nd Quarter on the 2nd TD and on the 2nd TD of the 2nd half...also.