Powell

crystal5puppy

Wondering what the early returns are regarding Lowe and the Panthers. Through 3 games, the lack of offense is what has me most concerned. Was Lowe the offensive coordinator for Stephens? Looking at the schedule, the games at West and at Clinton should determine the last 2 seeds. West and Clinton seem like they are improved this year. Halls and South Doyle should be wins. Either way, it seems like 5 wins might be the base case scenario this year for Powell. What does Lowe need to change for the Panthers to improve over the last 7 games?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering what the early returns are regarding Lowe and the Panthers. Through 3 games, the lack of offense is what has me most concerned. Was Lowe the offensive coordinator for Stephens? Looking at the schedule, the games at West and at Clinton should determine the last 2 seeds. West and Clinton seem like they are improved this year. Halls and South Doyle should be wins. Either way, it seems like 5 wins might be the base case scenario this year for Powell. What does Lowe need to change for the Panthers to improve over the last 7 games?

It's pretty obvious right now that Maryville and Central are once again the class of the region. Their matchup in week 9 should prove to be a great football game.

I still see, just as I said before, West, Halls, and Powell fighting for the 3,4,5 spots. The round robin between those three are key, although Clinton and South-Doyle can't be taken for granted, either. Clinton is improved, but with the numbers they have (or don't have) you have to wonder if they will be able to sustain their improved play thoughout the end of the season, once injuries and having to be on the field so much takes its physical toll on their team.

As for what is wrong with the Powell offense, I don't think it is any secret. Powell lacks speed on the outside, and everbody knows that. It was really apparent on Friday against McCallie. Coach Lowe will be fine. He knows what he is doing.

Edited by HTV

It's pretty obvious right now that Maryville and Central are once again the class of the region. Their matchup in week 9 should prove to be a great football game.

I still see, just as I said before, West, Halls, and Powell fighting for the 3,4,5 spots. The round robin between those three are key, although Clinton and South-Doyle can't be taken for granted, either. Clinton is improved, but with the numbers they have (or don't have) you have to wonder if they will be able to sustain their improved play thoughout the end of the season, once injuries and having to be on the field so much takes its physical toll on their team.

As for what is wrong with the Powell offense, I don't think it is any secret. Powell lacks speed on the outside, and everbody knows that. It was really apparent on Friday against McCallie. Coach Lowe will be fine. He knows what he is doing.

The real reason is because the lack of execution by the offense, especially the line. It seems like at least one lineman blows an assignment almost every play. Powell has the physical part figured out, they are just making too many mental errors. Even if they lose to Maryville, I think Powell will finally find their identity on offense. Im not saying that they will just drive the ball down the field all day against Maryville, Im saying they will atleast put some decent points on the board against Maryville's 1st team. They really need an almost perfect game though if they want to beat Maryville though, especially from their defensive secondary.

Edited by Drega06

wouldnt it stand to reason that the offensive coordinator is calling the plays?

that would be daryl smith

Factual and reasonable answer, Rob. Some people on the other side of Dry Gap Pike don't actually understand that concept. :thumb:

Edited by HTV

I'm going to keep asking the same question until someone can give me the answer: Why isn't John Bruhin playing left guard? Powell's best looking blocking has come when John Bruhin lines up at left guard with Jared McGaha at left tackle. I still don't understand why Lowe has kept Bruhin exclusively at nose guard. I didn't even play football in school, and yet it's still blatently obvious that they aren't utilizing the talent they have up front. Powell is using the same playbook they do every year, one that is very conservative and very predictable, and that doesn't help too much either.

I'm going to keep asking the same question until someone can give me the answer: Why isn't John Bruhin playing left guard? Powell's best looking blocking has come when John Bruhin lines up at left guard with Jared McGaha at left tackle. I still don't understand why Lowe has kept Bruhin exclusively at nose guard. I didn't even play football in school, and yet it's still blatently obvious that they aren't utilizing the talent they have up front. Powell is using the same playbook they do every year, one that is very conservative and very predictable, and that doesn't help too much either.

Bruhin is getting snaps on the offensive line. He's just not starting there.

You really don't understand what it means to be 6'5" and 305 pounds, and neither do I. From talking to those who are, however, i'm told that it's hard for anybody that size to go both ways for an entire game, especially early in the season when the heat is so intense.

You said you didn't play in high school. No offense, but I really don't think you are qualified to decide who should and shouldn't play where and especially with personnel that you don't know very well, given that you've been out of high school for a couple of years.

Are your initials MB?

Edited by HTV

I know who he is HTV, and its not MB, I think I know who your thinking of though.

IM 6'5 and 290 lbs and I would say it would be hard to play both ways, BUT when you go to college and play ball I can guarntee this, ITs gonna be a lot harder on him playing 1 way than playing both in high school. Hes gonna have to get in a bit better condition (I dont have room to talk since im horribly out of shape but hey im from pigsville tn.)

I know who he is HTV, and its not MB, I think I know who your thinking of though.

IM 6'5 and 290 lbs and I would say it would be hard to play both ways, BUT when you go to college and play ball I can guarntee this, ITs gonna be a lot harder on him playing 1 way than playing both in high school. Hes gonna have to get in a bit better condition (I dont have room to talk since im horribly out of shape but hey im from pigsville tn.)

The difference is that at the D1-A level of football, defensive tackles don't play every defensive snap of the game. There are normally 4 or 5 DTs in a rotation because of the wear and tear on the bodies going against bigger offensive linemen than they see in high school. The best defensive linemen will be in the game at crunch time, but they haven't played every snap up to that point in the game.

Edited by HTV