GPS at Notre Dame - 9/21/06 7:00 PM

DonCChatt

Next Thursday, September 21st, GPS will play against Notre Dame at Notre Dame at 7:00 PM. In trying to figure out who might win, I dug up the following facts:

- I believe they played against each other 4 times in the last 3 years, with GPS winning once, Notre Dame once, and two ties

- GPS is a Division II program, Notre Dame is A/AA

- at this point in the season, they have played 4 of the same opponents:

Franklin Road Academy GPS Won 1-0 ND Won 2-0

ECS/Memphis GPS Tied 2-2 ND Won 1-0

Hutcheson GPS Tied 0-0 ND Won 4-0

Father Ryan GPS Lost 0-3 ND Won 2-0

GPS 1-1-2, with 4 goals vs. 6 for opponents

ND 4-0-0, with 9 goals vs. 0 for opponents

- There will be four additional common opponents before the season is over:

Ooltewah GPS Won 1-0 ND plays them 10/07

Chattanooga Christian GPS Tied 0-0 ND plays them 10/03

Hixson GPS 9/26 ND 10/3

Baylor GPS 10/05 ND 9/28

Who should win? Who will win? Your thoughts

Edited by DonCChatt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next Thursday, September 21st, GPS will play against Notre Dame at Notre Dame at 7:00 PM.

Who should win? Who will win? Your thoughts

A little too much info....and we'll know after they play, but if I had to guess a score I see ND 2 and GPS 0 ( if they keep GPS onsides)...I don't see a big deal of difference in the fact that one is D1 and the other is D2 (ND is what? a little over 1 year removed from D2?). I think ND's offence is more potent that GPS....but if it stays close we all know you see stuff happen ( a break away, a blown off-sides, a flop in the box...who knows???) Should be a big rivalry game and fun to watch! All you can hope for is a clean game with no one hurt and fair referees!

A little too much info....and we'll know after they play, but if I had to guess a score I see ND 2 and GPS 0 ( if they keep GPS onsides)...I don't see a big deal of difference in the fact that one is D1 and the other is D2 (ND is what? a little over 1 year removed from D2?). I think ND's offence is more potent that GPS....but if it stays close we all know you see stuff happen ( a break away, a blown off-sides, a flop in the box...who knows???) Should be a big rivalry game and fun to watch! All you can hope for is a clean game with no one hurt and fair referees!

:P

WOW!!! Flash I agree with 2 much info. We've got nothing else to do but speculate on why one should win over the other on Sept 21. What if it rains? Which team plays better on a cloudy day vs. 100 degrees. I think we all want our teams to win and play their best, but there's 22 on the field "TWO" refs., a bunch of fans who might break out in battle, sometimes coaches who make a difference..... What if ??????

As for D1 and D2 and all those AAA's...well I find the D2 Teams the toughest at this point in time and they have many less trying out (girls) and usually less players carried on their programs. JV teams are down in some areas as well. At that rate, the shift will go back to the bigger schools.

P.S. I thank Mr. mjuhb for the scores he posted, but tooooo random for me, I need Eurosportscoreboard for my overall fix.

GPS is deep in talent. They can sub alot and not loose much out of the field.

Can't put too much stock in all those scores. Many of those came from weekend tournaments where they played three games in two days. Coaches played alot of people (and rested others) so you never know.

Notre Dame has proven they can score. GPS has not.

Notre Dame has the edge but only slightly. Would not be an upset of GPS won 2-0. (although i would be surprised)

There is alot of history here. If I remember correctly ND knocked GPS out of the state tournament couple of years in a row on the Bruisers own field. Don't think there will be any blood but it will be an intense game.

A totally unrelated (additional) point, Notre Dame JV beat GPS JV 3-1 today, and also beat them 1-0 on 8/31.

To Jewell's comments, I agree 100% that the 22 individuals on the field, along with field conditions, weather, referees, good luck, bad luck can all impact play. That's why the games are decided on the field, and not on paper.

My prediction, ND 2, GPS 0

A totally unrelated (additional) point, Notre Dame JV beat GPS JV 3-1 today, and also beat them 1-0 on 8/31.

To Jewell's comments, I agree 100% that the 22 individuals on the field, along with field conditions, weather, referees, good luck, bad luck can all impact play. That's why the games are decided on the field, and not on paper.

My prediction, ND 2, GPS 0

my prediction.. ND 3, GPS 0... because ive sence both teams play..