Union City @ South Fulton

Devil_Alumni

I graduated from South Fulton and was fortunate enough to play on some pretty talented teams. Here is my assessment and I'll carefully word this in order to keep it respectable. South Fulton, especially before the reclassification, had an unusual amount of talent for a small single A school. This goes for football, basketball, and baseball. And not unlike other small schools, there was no way to field a team that is loaded with talent from top to bottom year in and year out. Because of that, a coach should have a game plan that capitalizes on his team's strengths and does not expose their weaknesses. In the aforementioned sports, especially football and basketball, South Fulton has had used the same schemes and plays for as long as I can remember. Football, sweep, kick, scissors, belly pass, fullback dive, double pass. If it is a big game, there will most likely be a reverse ran on a kick-off return. Basketball, although this is not a basketball board, was a simple motion offense against a man defense and a 2 man motion offense with baseline roller to combat a zone. No South Fulton Head Coach stresses the importance of weight training and conditioning, especially in the off season, with the exception of small spurts of circuit training for a period during school. South Fulton athletics has long ridden the coattails of superior talent to achieve their success. If I am not mistaken, Coach Wood has a losing record for his career. I will not get in the whole basketball debacle. Am I a player who had bad experiences with the coaches? Far from it. I personally have no qualms stemming from sports when it comes to either man. That is just my view on things from both inside and outside the locker room. I wish South Fulton sports the best of luck. To the players who read this, get hungry and remember the taste in your mouth. If losing like this doesn't bother you, quit. If it does, don't blame anyone but yourself. If coach doesn't make you lift, do it on your own. If you mess up in film and you see it, work on it on your on. Just because the coaches aren't around doesn't mean you can't practice and make yourself better. Players lace up for practice and game days. Athletes stay laced up and don't confine themselves to only team practices to get better. It’s a long road, ride it out. Take your hits, get up, and line back up and do it again. You will never win unless you want to, and a lot of your attitudes and work ethics are sickening to many former players. If this offends you, chances are I'm talking to you. Again, lace them up and get better. I promise you that there is nothing better than raising a trophy, knowing you did it yourself and the work paid off.

Exactly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats good that Derek isnt out for the season. But the back up Harris did a great job filling in the first few games and has improved a tremendous amount from his Freshman year. If the players and coaches can make it through these last 5 weeks of this season and keep everyone healthy it will detinitely contribute to the next few years for these young guys. Good luck Devils and if they can stick together through this long season they will be just fine.

Oh yeah...I also meant to comment on this post....very well said...you know on every team I ever played for there was that one coach that I couldn't quite agree with...but I finally realized overall team moral is way more important than my petty bickering with a coach...

That was a great post dynasty03...But,there is no way a team can win nowadays if they don't put the work in during the summer..Football is an every day of the year thing now.Although you hear sometimes that a team wins despite it's coach,it really doesn't...You also can't depend on kids of today to "workout on their own"..As a whole they won't do it,they just won't...To many other things to do,easier things to do...Football is sport like no other...It'll teach you right quick whether you are a man or not....It'll teach you right quick whether you are a quitter or not....Football exposes you..You can't hide in football....Football is the ultimate team sport..You can have 10 guys do the right thing and one that messes up and that particular play is doomed to fail....All that goes for coaches to..If they don't put the work in,if they don't spend the time breaking down film,if they don't get the practices organized and every minute of it constructive,if they don't have a structured off-season plan for their players the whole thing will go to pot.....South Fulton has always been respectable in sports..They have always succeeded..But we are looking at a basketball season that went win-less and a football season that could do the same thing..Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed...The kids deserve better....

Well i think this thread has talk just about almost everything except the game being played between these two teams lol.

Good luck SF and i wish the best. If u play hard u can always get better. Take ur licks and get up. Dont lie down even if the game is too far out of reach. Keep trying and u will have ur time to shine.

What are u doin now-a-days Dynasty? Havent seen or heard what u have done since u graduated.

I am in school at MTSU and plan on graduating next December with a political science & psychology degree, unless I do a few internships, one in D.C. and one in Nashville. After that I'm headed off to law school. I will be back in town this weekend. I'm not real sure who you are?

That was a great post dynasty03...But,there is no way a team can win nowadays if they don't put the work in during the summer..Football is an every day of the year thing now.Although you hear sometimes that a team wins despite it's coach,it really doesn't...You also can't depend on kids of today to "workout on their own"..As a whole they won't do it,they just won't...To many other things to do,easier things to do...Football is sport like no other...It'll teach you right quick whether you are a man or not....It'll teach you right quick whether you are a quitter or not....Football exposes you..You can't hide in football....Football is the ultimate team sport..You can have 10 guys do the right thing and one that messes up and that particular play is doomed to fail....All that goes for coaches to..If they don't put the work in,if they don't spend the time breaking down film,if they don't get the practices organized and every minute of it constructive,if they don't have a structured off-season plan for their players the whole thing will go to pot.....South Fulton has always been respectable in sports..They have always succeeded..But we are looking at a basketball season that went win-less and a football season that could do the same thing..Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed...The kids deserve better....

I agree, however, there is nothing that players can do when it comes to the coaches and how much time they put in it. And again, I want to make it clear that most coaches at South Fulton go above and beyond their call of duty. But, as a player, complaining about what the coaches are doing is nothing but a cyclical argument that will never be resolved. I was simply saying that as a player, if you don't like what the coach is doing, bust your butt and make it obvious that things should be different. Develop yourself so no fingers can be pointed at you. It is a nasty situation and if you don't pull positive out of it, then you'll never be better

Well i think this thread has talk just about almost everything except the game being played between these two teams lol.

Good luck SF and i wish the best. If u play hard u can always get better. Take ur licks and get up. Dont lie down even if the game is too far out of reach. Keep trying and u will have ur time to shine.

Well,I'll guess on a score....Union City 42......South Fulton 12

I don't know if you have seen them or not,but if you haven't,you'll be wondering how in the world this bunch is 1A....When that tractor trailor pulls up and those 4 or 5 bus loads of band kids walk out,you'll wonder hoew in the world they are 1A....These kids look awesome in their uniforms,but they don't play like any Union City team I have seen in many years....South Fulton is so young and they are still Union City...The Tornadoes should and probably will win pretty handily...

Edited by backinthaoc