Page 3, Eagleville 2

PageMan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have a full report tomorrow morning as I am making too many errors looking at each point and logging it for the players. Game 4 proved to be the cruial turning point as a call of ball down for a kill instead of a dig for Eagleville gave Page the lead at 25-24. After a serve out by Page to make it 25 all, Eagleville served an ace to take the lead. A serve out by Eagleville tied the score at 26 all. Page took the lead on a kill by Nicole Smith and Becca Shreeve served an ace for Page to win, 28-26. Game 5 was close at the start, but Eagleville took a 3 pt. lead at 8-5. Page fought back with 3 Kills by Smith and a kill by Jennica McGuire to take the lead at 9-8. Eagleville tied the score at 11 all, but Page went ahead to stay at 12-11 on another kill by Smith. The game and match ended on a kill by Page's Katie Guthrie as the Lady Patriots won 15-12.

I looked the video of the play involving the kill call in game 4 and could not tell from the camera screen. I know that the Eagleville supporters and their coach thought it was a dig, but the official stayed with the call as neither line judge had a clear view of the play. My view was from across the court and I couldn't really tell.

Edited by PageMan

It was definitely the Refs call to make, I couldn't see it either. The ref said she "heard" all floor. She made a decision and went with it. In hindsight, a do-over would have probably been the right thing to do. If you (ref) didn't see it, play it again.

Either way, I thought it was a great match. Obviously, both teams had various errors, but there were planty of great plays.

I don't think either team has seen the last of each other this season, by a long shot. We just need to win out (district games) and be ready for the tourney. :)

Here is my points analysis:

Game 1: Page 25-20

Page - 14 Kills, 2 Aces, 10 Attack Errors (inc 3 BHE), 5 Service Errors

Nicole Smith - 6 Kills, 1 Ace

Katie Vanderburg - 4 Kills

Katie Guthrie - 2 Kills

Chelsea Rion - 1 Kill, 1 Ace

Dre Townsend - 1 Kill

Eagleville - 2 Kills, 3 Aces, 5 Attack Errors (inc 1 BHE), 4 Service Errors

Erika Grocock - 2 Kills, 1 Ace

Ashton Vaughn - 2 Aces

Game 2: Eagleville 25-22

Eagleville - 8 Kills (inc 2 blks), 2 Aces, 5 AE, 3 SE

E. Grocock - 4 Kills

Katlyn Doss - 3 Kills (inc 2 blks)

Chelsea Lamb - 1 Kill

Taylor Grocock - 1 Ace

Rachel Hedgepath - 1 Ace

Page - 11 Kills, 3 Aces, 11 AE (inc 1 BHE), 4 SE

Smith - 5 Kills, 1 Ace

Guthrie - 4 Kills

Rion - 2 Aces

Vanderburg - 1 Kill

Townsend - 1 Kill

Game 3: Eagleville 25-20

Eagleville - 8 Kills, 2 Aces, 8 AE (inc 1 BHE, 2 NV), 4 SE

E. Grocock - 3 Kills

Tiffany Carlton - 2 Kills

Hedgepath - 2 Kills

Lamb - 1 Kill

T. Grocock - 1 Ace

Doss - 1 Ace

Page - 6 Kills, 2 Aces, 13 AE (inc 2 BHE), 2 SE

Smith - 6 Kills

Becca Shreeve - 1 Ace

Rion - 1 Ace

Game 4: Page 28-26

Page - 12 Kills (inc 1 blk), 3 Aces, 16 AE (inc 1 BHE, 3 NV), 4 SE

Smith - 6 Kills (inc 1 blk)

Guthrie - 4 Kills

Vanderburg - 1 Kill, 2 Aces

Jennica McGuire - 1 Kill

Shreeve - 1 Ace

Eagleville - 3 Kills, 3 Aces, 10 AE (inc 3 BHE), 3 SE

Lamb - 2 Kills

Doss - 1 Kill, 1 Ace

T. Grocock - 1 Ace

Vaughn - 1 Ace

Game 5: Page 15-12

Page - 9 Kills, 1 Ace, 5 AE, 2 SE

Smith - 5 Kills

Guthrie - 3 Kills

McGuire - 1 Kill

Vanderburg - 1 Ace

Eagleville - 5 Kills, 0 Aces, 4 AE (inc 2 BHE), 1 SE

Lamb - 2 Kills

Carlton - 1 Kill

Hedgepath - 1 Kill

E. Grocock - 1 Kill

I'm sure the rematch of these two teams will be another classic. They will probably meet in the district tournament to be held at Middle TN Christian School starting Oct. 10 and possibly in the regional tournament the following week.

I'll have a full report tomorrow morning as I am making too many errors looking at each point and logging it for the players. Game 4 proved to be the cruial turning point as a call of ball down for a kill instead of a dig for Eagleville gave Page the lead at 25-24. After a serve out by Page to make it 25 all, Eagleville served an ace to take the lead. A serve out by Eagleville tied the score at 26 all. Page took the lead on a kill by Nicole Smith and Becca Shreeve served an ace for Page to win, 28-26. Game 5 was close at the start, but Eagleville took a 3 pt. lead at 8-5. Page fought back with 3 Kills by Smith and a kill by Jennica McGuire to take the lead at 9-8. Eagleville tied the score at 11 all, but Page went ahead to stay at 12-11 on another kill by Smith. The game and match ended on a kill by Page's Katie Guthrie as the Lady Patriots won 15-12.

I looked the video of the play involving the kill call in game 4 and could not tell from the camera screen. I know that the Eagleville supporters and their coach thought it was a dig, but the official stayed with the call as neither line judge had a clear view of the play. My view was from across the court and I couldn't really tell.

Well, pageman Are you advocating video replay for VB. haven't heard of that one before.

Well, pageman Are you advocating video replay for VB. haven't heard of that one before.

Absolutely - Every school needs at least 4 cameras, each with hard drive video storage, hooked to a Jumbo Tron, and the official needs to wear a wireless wire so that calls can be explained.

"Upon further review, the play stands as called on the field...er, court"

Edited by PageMan

Absolutely - Every school needs at least 4 cameras, each with hard drive video storage, hooked to a Jumbo Tron, and the official needs to wear a wireless wire so that calls can be explained.

"Upon further review, the play stands as called on the field...er, court"

My view of the down call in game four was not clear, but I thought it was a clean dig. I can understand the Eagles being upset over that one, but there were several other calls that went the other way in games 2 and 3 that were pretty bad also. The line judges seemed to be spending too much time watching the game as fans and not giving the calls that were their responsibility. Touches weren't called, line shadowing was called in, but I don't blame the line judges themselves. The up ref should be clear and consistent with the volunteers on what their responsibilities are and they should also be reinforced throughout the match. An up ref should explain how to look for a touch/block, what line shadowing is, and what they should be paying attention to the most.

I will say this, the effort from both teams last night was wonderful, especially given the way both teams were making a ton of errors. Had either team been on just a little bit with attacks or serves, it could have been a blow out. Kudos to both coaches for keeping the players in the game with so much emotion on the court.

Thanks for your comments, TheNoise, and welcome to the volleyball forum. I agree with you that some volunteer line judges do not pay close enough attention to the game besides making line calls. There could have been some touches that were not called last night and I've seen in the past where the line judges don't even watch for antenna outs. All officials should be clear in their instruction to the line judges on what they are to look for and to alert the official if they see foot faults or other errors. All lines judges should carefully watch all aspects of play so that can help an official if a questionable call occurs.

A match-up between district rivals Page and Eagleville is always exciting as both teams are evenly matched. Both teams' district records are now 6-1, I believe, so the remaining 3 district games for each will be critical. Neither team can afford a costly slip-up down the stretch to the district tournament. If both teams win out, I'm not exactly sure what the tie-breaker procedure is in this district. Both teams have split in matches, but I believe that Eagleville has the advantage in games won head-to-head. We'll have to see how this works out.

Edited by PageMan

Thanks for your comments, TheNoise, and welcome to the volleyball forum. I agree with you that some volunteer line judges do not pay close enough attention to the game besides making line calls. There could have been some touches that were not called last night and I've seen in the past where the line judges don't even watch for antenna outs. All officials should be clear in their instruction to the line judges on what they are to look for and to alert the official if they see foot faults or other errors. All lines judges should carefully watch all aspects of play so that can help an official if a questionable call occurs.

A match-up between district rivals Page and Eagleville is always exciting as both teams are evenly matched. Both teams' district records are now 6-1, I believe, so the remaining 3 district games for each will be critical. Neither team can afford a costly slip-up down the stretch to the district tournament. If both teams win out, I'm not exactly sure what the tie-breaker procedure is in this district. Both teams have split in matches, but I believe that Eagleville has the advantage in games won head-to-head. We'll have to see how this works out.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm pretty sure you are right about the head-to-head question for the regular season title. But what matter's most is getting that first win in the District Tournament. Everything else will take care of itself. Today's Spring Hill match will be a good follow up for Page to see if they have any hangover effects... Plus the LaVergne event this weekend makes for a very tough week for the Patriots...

While he was not involved, it might be good to involve the GLJ, an official, to cover the instructions normally given by a referee. Exciting games are discerting for a number of reasons and no one tries to make a mistake but at least GLJ can go over instructions normally given to line judges.