Page 3, Eagleville 2

PageMan

I didn't see the match, though I know the official who had it.

I will make these comments, in general, about tough matches and line judges:

As the game progresses in speed and skill level, and a SINGLE OFFICIAL has more and more to watch for, I find myself relying on line judges more than ever before. I love a good, tough match and in times past, I would always be able to see the ball where it lands, and take the line judge's call under advisement. But as time has passed on, I have found myself focusing on other aspects of the game while play is going on - net fouls, center line fouls, back row blocks/attacks, touches, etc. and unable to watch the ball land. There is SO much to be looking for all at the same instant in time.

Officiating is a tough job sometimes, but line judging is its own animal entirely. There IS a lot to be watching for, but it's a job that can be done. Doing line judging the right way is something that takes a good deal of time, experience, and dedication.

How a call "looks" from the crowd's perspective is a different angle from what a coach can see. What a coach sees (especially on a line call) is certainly different from what a line judge sees. What the official sees is a different angle at times from what a line judge sees. This is why line judges are positioned where they are.

Now think about the people who do line judging most of the time. They're parents. They're fans, just like everyone else. Few places I've gone have had people who do lines every single match or even volunteer to do lines ahead of the match time. Most people who do line judging are pulled from the crowd only a few moments before the match begins. These people do the best they can. They are human too and sometimes they do get caught up in the match. But, hopefully, the "chosen ones" are folks who can focus on the job at hand.

The bottom line is, don't criticize those who have volunteered for a job that sometimes gets very difficult. You can't question a line call when you aren't looking straight down the line and see where the ball lands.

And finally, if you think the line judges aren't doing a good job, volunteer yourself next time. Or don't say a word.

Good line judges are a major help to an official, especially if the official is blocked from seeing a play.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the game progresses in speed and skill level, and a SINGLE OFFICIAL has more and more to watch for, I find myself relying on line judges more than ever before. I love a good, tough match and in times past, I would always be able to see the ball where it lands, and take the line judge's call under advisement. But as time has passed on, I have found myself focusing on other aspects of the game while play is going on - net fouls, center line fouls, back row blocks/attacks, touches, etc. and unable to watch the ball land. There is SO much to be looking for all at the same instant in time.

Officiating is a tough job sometimes, but line judging is its own animal entirely. There IS a lot to be watching for, but it's a job that can be done. Doing line judging the right way is something that takes a good deal of time, experience, and dedication.

How a call "looks" from the crowd's perspective is a different angle from what a coach can see. What a coach sees (especially on a line call) is certainly different from what a line judge sees. What the official sees is a different angle at times from what a line judge sees. This is why line judges are positioned where they are.

Now think about the people who do line judging most of the time. They're parents. They're fans, just like everyone else. Few places I've gone have had people who do lines every single match or even volunteer to do lines ahead of the match time. Most people who do line judging are pulled from the crowd only a few moments before the match begins. These people do the best they can. They are human too and sometimes they do get caught up in the match. But, hopefully, the "chosen ones" are folks who can focus on the job at hand.

The bottom line is, don't criticize those who have volunteered for a job that sometimes gets very difficult. You can't question a line call when you aren't looking straight down the line and see where the ball lands.

And finally, if you think the line judges aren't doing a good job, volunteer yourself next time. Or don't say a word.

Good line judges are a major help to an official, especially if the official is blocked from seeing a play.

A very good post. Does this mean that instructions are given of some kind> I s the point you are making is that with the variance in skill levels, sometimes the skill level might get someone that has a tendance to want to watch the game(normal)?

I f you would have a choice, how might this be handled by those selecting as to selection 15 minutes before the match, etc to give everyone time to get everything done?

I couldn't agree more, GLJ. Most of the time the close calls can go either way and even themselves out. Like I said in my original post, If the line judges are not making or paying attention to the calls for which they are depended upon, it is up to the Up ref to remind them/educate them on what to look for in certain instances. I know there isn't alot of time before-hand for instruction. That's exactly how my first time line judging went, but every up official I have worked with will discuss close calls with me in between games and "compare notes"

I didn't mean to imply that the volunteers did not care about what they were doing, nor did I mean to say that these particular line judges did an abysmol job. Fact is, they did not, they did well. There are always going to be close plays that one side or the other is going to be up in arms about. The problem with this match, I felt, was that they weren't consistent with what they were watching. Granted, how an up ref could possibly watch the ball, net, center line, back row, AND the what the Line Judges are watching is way beyond me.

All in all, the down call in game four didn't cost Eagleville the match, much less the game. Page had an SE on the very next point and the Eagles had their chance to close it out and didn't get it done.

The great thing is that so many people were there supporting both teams and cheering with passion and volume. That means more to me than anything else. It's just such a great game...

Granted, how an up ref could possibly watch the ball, net, center line, back row, AND the what the Line Judges are watching is way beyond me.

To answer that briefly, it comes from knowing the rules thoroughly (as to make a snap judgment on what's legal and what's not) and experience. Great/tough matches are very taxing on the brain.

There is an exhaustive post coming on line judging in the main forum. I'd like to move the discussion on line judging there.

BTW, welcome to the forum, TheNoise.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

Well, the fact is, I was one of the line judges for this match. :lol:

And I think I did an outstanding job. I don't know how anybody can know what I'm looking at or not, because you definitely were not anywhere near me? :rolleyes:

I like the GLJ's suggestion, volunteer to do it yourself and see how easy it is. I knwe before I ever got on the court some people would disagree with something, but I could care less what you think. Sit in your ivory tower and make sure everything is wonderful from your seat.

The fact is, even if you had paid officials, people would disagree with the calls. I see it all the time in every sport.

The ref could definitely spend some time with the line judges before the match going over their expectations. All I could do is watch the lines, watch the back line during serves and look for touches, etc. Most of the calls on the court are the refs, because they have the best perspective and training.

Well, the fact is, I was one of the line judges for this match. :rolleyes:

And I think I did an outstanding job. I don't know how anybody can know what I'm looking at or not, because you definitely were not anywhere near me? :lol:

I like the GLJ's suggestion, volunteer to do it yourself and see how easy it is. I knwe before I ever got on the court some people would disagree with something, but I could care less what you think. Sit in your ivory tower and make sure everything is wonderful from your seat.

The fact is, even if you had paid officials, people would disagree with the calls. I see it all the time in every sport.

The ref could definitely spend some time with the line judges before the match going over their expectations. All I could do is watch the lines, watch the back line during serves and look for touches, etc. Most of the calls on the court are the refs, because they have the best perspective and training.

For the record, Dossman, I believe you do a fine job of line judging and I've never disagreed with anything you called when I've had you do lines for me.

For the record, Dossman, I believe you do a fine job of line judging and I've never disagreed with anything you called when I've had you do lines for me.

Thanks, it's not an enjoyable job for me, but it gives a person some perspective on how is may feel to be a ref.

For the record, I think line judges should get some of the chicken from the concession stand for free too! :rolleyes:

Well, the fact is, I was one of the line judges for this match. ;)

And I think I did an outstanding job. I don't know how anybody can know what I'm looking at or not, because you definitely were not anywhere near me? :lol:

Dossman,

So maybe my command of the English language is off a bit, but I thought I was pretty clear in my response. I have been a line judge before and I thought I had shared my experiences on my last post, but I guess it didn't get through. I'll try again. From my experience, most Up Officials will go over things and also converse between games about calls/procedures/points of concern. I did not feel like the Up Official gave enough support to the line judges. You are right, they are the paid and trained ones, so the responsibility lies with them, not you or the other line judge. If you feel it's necessary to make "Ivory Tower" comments, that's fine. I have no problem with that and I'm sorry you took offense to my comments. That was not my intention and I apologize.

Dossman,

So maybe my command of the English language is off a bit, but I thought I was pretty clear in my response. I have been a line judge before and I thought I had shared my experiences on my last post, but I guess it didn't get through. I'll try again. From my experience, most Up Officials will go over things and also converse between games about calls/procedures/points of concern. I did not feel like the Up Official gave enough support to the line judges. You are right, they are the paid and trained ones, so the responsibility lies with them, not you or the other line judge. If you feel it's necessary to make "Ivory Tower" comments, that's fine. I have no problem with that and I'm sorry you took offense to my comments. That was not my intention and I apologize.

Sorry, if I took it the wrong way, too.