Soddy-Daisy? What Happened?

broadbat

Soddy-Daisy is usually strong in football. Sometimes outstanding. 2 or 3 years ago, they hired Tom Weathers as head coach, one of the best of all time. Since that time, they have gone downhill in record time. This year they can't beat anyone, even much smaller schools. They are even having trouble scoring. How does such a big school, with a great booster club, plenty of student-athletes, and a world-class coach go from the top of the world to the pits in such a short amount of time? What's going on in Soddy?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soddy-Daisy is usually strong in football. Sometimes outstanding. 2 or 3 years ago, they hired Tom Weathers as head coach, one of the best of all time. Since that time, they have gone downhill in record time. This year they can't beat anyone, even much smaller schools. They are even having trouble scoring. How does such a big school, with a great booster club, plenty of student-athletes, and a world-class coach go from the top of the world to the pits in such a short amount of time? What's going on in Soddy?

they are just very young this year. they have like 14 seniors out of 60 kids. they have around 26 somphores and 20 juniors coming back next year. they should be really good next year

they are just very young this year. they have like 14 seniors out of 60 kids. they have around 26 somphores and 20 juniors coming back next year. they should be really good next year

That explains part of it...and I'm not trying to knock anyone, or make anybody look bad. It's an honest question.

Why only 14 seniors? Did something happen in the past year or two to make some good players quit? Did they switch to other sports? It just seems like a school of that size could not possibly be in this situation. And even with 14 seniors, if you have 5 or 6 of them at skill positions, on both offense and defense, they should at least be an average team. I just can't figure out how a school with a former football star and coach (Robert Smith) as principal, not to mention Coach Weathers and some of his assistants, is getting embarassed like this every week.

This has to be taking a huge bite out of parking, concessions, etc., not to mention school pride. And when the rezoning takes place in a couple of years (caused by the new Signal Mtn. High, which will affect Red Bank, Hixson and Soddy) , what happens then? Rumor has it, some of Soddy's best neighborhoods, maybe including some good athletes, will be rezoned to Red Bank- which is apparently a football powerhouse again.

The talent level is down...

As a longtime fan of Soddy Daisy football, I feel the need to respond to come of the comments being made on this message board. While I do have some inside knowledge of the program please remember these comments are my own opinion.

In years past Soddy has had a very intense strength and conditioning program. It is my understanding there is basically nothing to speak of in place now as Coach Weathers seems to not believe in conditioning.

Soddy does have several good athletes on the team. The problem is the talent we do have is uncoached. Some are out of position and some are spending more time on the sidelines than on the field.

There is way too much change. There is no consistency and our players often look confused.

Coach Weathers may have neen a world-class coach at one time but he has definitely passed his prime. He is at the point where is doing to boys a great disservice. If he does not leave Soddy's program will suffer for years to come because many of the athletes from Loftis and Soddy Middle will go elsewhere. This is not being said in disrespect to Coach Weathers as you would never meet a nicer man. But the time comes when it is time to give it up.

That being said, some of the comments being made from certain people on this message board are totally out of line. We know that you are proud of your "Owls" and you guys have a great program over there. Just remember that these are high school kids that you are talking about and this season is hard enough on them. Your derogatory comments would be better left unsaid. Just enjoy your success and let the problems get worked out at Soddy.

Hopefully Mr. Smith will step up and do the right thing for these boys. We need a new coach, we need a strong strength and conditioning program again and we need a whole new attitude on the team. If these things happen, you WILL see a Soddy Daisy comeback!

As a longtime fan of Soddy Daisy football, I feel the need to respond to come of the comments being made on this message board. While I do have some inside knowledge of the program please remember these comments are my own opinion.

In years past Soddy has had a very intense strength and conditioning program. It is my understanding there is basically nothing to speak of in place now as Coach Weathers seems to not believe in conditioning.

Soddy does have several good athletes on the team. The problem is the talent we do have is uncoached. Some are out of position and some are spending more time on the sidelines than on the field.

There is way too much change. There is no consistency and our players often look confused.

Coach Weathers may have neen a world-class coach at one time but he has definitely passed his prime. He is at the point where is doing to boys a great disservice. If he does not leave Soddy's program will suffer for years to come because many of the athletes from Loftis and Soddy Middle will go elsewhere. This is not being said in disrespect to Coach Weathers as you would never meet a nicer man. But the time comes when it is time to give it up.

That being said, some of the comments being made from certain people on this message board are totally out of line. We know that you are proud of your "Owls" and you guys have a great program over there. Just remember that these are high school kids that you are talking about and this season is hard enough on them. Your derogatory comments would be better left unsaid. Just enjoy your success and let the problems get worked out at Soddy.

Hopefully Mr. Smith will step up and do the right thing for these boys. We need a new coach, we need a strong strength and conditioning program again and we need a whole new attitude on the team. If these things happen, you WILL see a Soddy Daisy comeback!

go owls!

Not everyone went to Ooltewah. In fact, I didn't go to any of them. I was onlyn commenting on what I heard from Soddy parents and members of the community.

Most everyone talking to me say that the athletes have disappeared and the coaching has been woeful. I guess that is somewhat consistent with what you are saying.

I think it is bad for Chattanooga for Soddy to be down; all the fun is out of it when the two biggest high schools in town can't be competitive with one another. I hope they are able to turn it around.