PLAYOFFS: THEN VS. NOW

gjredskin

What are your thoughts on the number of teams that make the playoff vs the old system (as when it was just A, AA, AAA). I can remember (and I am not 30 yet) teams that did not make the playoffs at 9-1 and 8-2 or 7-3. Now days, $$$ controlling everything we have teams in the playoffs year after year at 2-8 and 3-7 in the playoffs. While I understand the notion of giving more teams opportunities it all boils down to the TSSAA making more money (50% of playoff gates-at least that is what it was a while back).

Should the playoffs not be about the best in the state and not merely a second season for nearly everybody?

What are your thoughts on the number of teams that make the playoff vs the old system (as when it was just A, AA, AAA). I can remember (and I am not 30 yet) teams that did not make the playoffs at 9-1 and 8-2 or 7-3. Now days, $$$ controlling everything we have teams in the playoffs year after year at 2-8 and 3-7 in the playoffs. While I understand the notion of giving more teams opportunities it all boils down to the TSSAA making more money (50% of playoff gates-at least that is what it was a while back).

Should the playoffs not be about the best in the state and not merely a second season for nearly everybody?

Livingston Acadamy won a championship last year as a fourth seed.

Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. How many 4th seeds has won the championship in any of the classifications (I ask because I can think of only 1). I can think of more small schools in ky. basketball tourny winning with everyone in 1 classification than a 4th seed in tn. winning out of 6 classifications. (did I make sense lol.)

Not going to even try to defend T$$AA on this but here's a pondering point of view. Think of todays society with all the bleeding hearts saying we deserve a trophy (little league) not bashing but we all know that if a kid plays sports in rec league etc. there will be a wall full of trophies for anything done. The beginning of the 5 classes started shortly after those walls being filled because those parents kids where getting to high school and they felt that everyone should get a shot at the championship so they griped to big brother. so the T$$AA settled for 4 and hopefully to quit hearing all the whinning from the people who says we all need a shot.

truth no but sounds good lol.

Its all in the money. 1) The Catastrophic Insurance Premium that needs to be paid. 2) Its the Money the TSSAA will need if they fail on their appeals on the Brentwood Academy Suit. 3) This all stems from the Public/Private debate. (And there are many people and schools both public and private to thank.)

Does it not hurt some schools though. I would think that a 2-8 or 3-7 team having to travel 1-2 hours to a # 1 seed would have more expenses than gate the 25% of the gate money

Not only that I just cant find the excitement in making the playoffs with that kind of record.

My solution (as irrelevant and insignificant as it may be) would be only having 4 classifications and only taking the top 2 teams in a region. This would obviously cut the number of teams down but it would give a lot more value to the reg season and definitely give teams much more to work for.

Does it not hurt some schools though. I would think that a 2-8 or 3-7 team having to travel 1-2 hours to a # 1 seed would have more expenses than gate the 25% of the gate money

Not only that I just cant find the excitement in making the playoffs with that kind of record.

My solution (as irrelevant and insignificant as it may be) would be only having 4 classifications and only taking the top 2 teams in a region. This would obviously cut the number of teams down but it would give a lot more value to the reg season and definitely give teams much more to work for.

And take away a team's chance to do what Livingston Academy did last year?? That team jelled at just the right time and only made the playoffs with a 29-28 win over the #5 team from their region. There were 5 teams in that region who were probally in the top 10 in the state and any one of the top 4 would have been state champs if not for meeting each other in the playoffs. This would probally never happen again, but if you had been along for LA's ride, you would say leave it like it is!!