District 9A

grammar

Alright here we go again.

My thoughts right now:

1 - Cascade - gotta be with everyone back until someone else beats them.

2 - Forrest - Shankle, boyer, and gentry lead way

3 - Eagleville - Fast pace and zone keeps them in it, but just lost too much

4 - Van Buren - Lost a lot, should compete with 2 & 3, but not w/ cascade

5 - MTCS - well coached team lacks a little, unless they have transfers

6 - Community - should compete w/ mtcs and sweep Boyd

7 - Boyd - will lose every game.

Player of the year - 3 horse race between shankle from forrest, smith from van buren, and hall from cascade

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright here we go again.

My thoughts right now:

1 - Cascade - gotta be with everyone back until someone else beats them.

2 - Forrest - Shankle, boyer, and gentry lead way

3 - Eagleville - Fast pace and zone keeps them in it, but just lost too much

4 - Van Buren - Lost a lot, should compete with 2 & 3, but not w/ cascade

5 - MTCS - well coached team lacks a little, unless they have transfers

6 - Community - should compete w/ mtcs and sweep Boyd

7 - Boyd - will lose every game.

Player of the year - 3 horse race between shankle from forrest, smith from van buren, and hall from cascade

I agree with 1, 2-4 will be a toss up b/w forest,eagleville, & my boys from the mountain VB, 6&7 will mtcs or community, and Boyd will bring up the rear.

Player of the year - I definitely think shankle will be the most valuable player to his team in the district but is this most valuable or most outstanding? if it's the latter i'll go with Hall, Smith, or to just throw this name out there - darrin baker of VB. He will be the surprise of the district.

Oh, & a note to the district- I owe each reader of these boards an apology for my brashness a year ago. Our new district has proven itself more difficult than our old and I believe that will continue this year. In the past I was considering history and the strong traditions of basketball in the upper cumberland. No harm was intended and I can't wait for the season to get underway. :thumb:

I agree with 1, 2-4 will be a toss up b/w forest,eagleville, & my boys from the mountain VB, 6&7 will mtcs or community, and Boyd will bring up the rear.

Player of the year - I definitely think shankle will be the most valuable player to his team in the district but is this most valuable or most outstanding? if it's the latter i'll go with Hall, Smith, or to just throw this name out there - darrin baker of VB. He will be the surprise of the district.

Oh, & a note to the district- I owe each reader of these boards an apology for my brashness a year ago. Our new district has proven itself more difficult than our old and I believe that will continue this year. In the past I was considering history and the strong traditions of basketball in the upper cumberland. No harm was intended and I can't wait for the season to get underway. :thumb:

Good post.

Well, Community news: The Vikings played a very young but very talented team last year, we were really looking forward to this year. One of our top players just left the team, a real blow. Coach Ed has the worst luck with keeping talent. The remaining team still has a real strong group of sophmores that saw alot of court time last year and were way underated for their individual performances. Admitidly the team play looked like a bunch a freshman chasing men around the court, which is what it was. If one player can step up to fill the hole we will suprise alot of folks this year.

1. Forrest will be better this year than last: A little smaller, but faster with better outside shooting, and that will let Shankle have a big year as his swan song.

2. Cascade is solid but I will be very suprised if they beat Forrest.

3. Eagleville lost alot but they had a strong bench and should do well.

4. VB was a great team last year, just a little to slow and it cost them some close games. They lost some key men and I did not see much more speed from their bench.

5. Community: Before the loss I would have had us in a tussle with VB for 4th. Now we will have to wait and see how the boys respond. A faith call here.

6. MTCS

7. Boyd

Edited by refuge

Well, Community news: The Vikings played a very young but very talented team last year, we were really looking forward to this year. One of our top players just left the team, a real blow. Coach Ed has the worst luck with keeping talent. The remaining team still has a real strong group of sophmores that saw alot of court time last year and were way underated for their individual performances. Admitidly the team play looked like a bunch a freshman chasing men around the court, which is what it was. If one player can step up to fill the hole we will suprise alot of folks this year.

1. Forrest will be better this year than last: A little smaller, but faster with better outside shooting, and that will let Shankle have a big year as his swan song.

2. Cascade is solid but I will be very suprised if they beat Forrest.

3. Eagleville lost alot but they had a strong bench and should do well.

4. VB was a great team last year, just a little to slow and it cost them some close games. They lost some key men and I did not see much more speed from their bench.

5. Community: Before the loss I would have had us in a tussle with VB for 4th. Now we will have to wait and see how the boys respond. A faith call here.

6. MTCS

7. Boyd

I'm so glad you're back refuge. Your screen name really should be comedy central b/c your posts are always so hilarious. Your boys would be in a tussle w/ VB if not for one lost player? Haha

You were more than one player away from contention... even with 3 more years experience. I wouldn't be so confident about finishing ahead of MTCS either. And Forrest being better? I mean it is very possible, but not probable after losing two players the caliber of Ezell and Minor. And Eagleville's bench was strong? C'mon they pretty much used the one player (the shooter) and he is one dimensional. Am I saying they won't finish 3rd- not at all, they are very capable, but your take is laughable. And if you paid attention you would know VB was not lacking speed. I did not attend a lot of their games so I don't know why they lost so many close ones, but I bet if VanBurenEagle gets on here and lets us know it pobably won't be lack of speed. Cascade has to be everyone's team to beat until proven otherwise.

Well, you may disagree but it is not laughable. I never say anything without a good reason.

1. We lost Norris to Shelbyville central, where he will play AAA ball on a very strong team as a Soph. That is by far a bigger loss than any team in our division had between last year and this. Everyone who has watched him since the 6th grade admitts he is a premier player.

2. I still say our boys played better ball than they were given credit for, and will prove it this year.

2. Calling Cascade (3d place last year) the team to beat is a stretch until they prove otherwise.

3. I know for a fact the Eagleville boys have a lot of depth. We have seen alot of this team over the years in our joint spring camp and saw them this spring after the seniors were gone. My guess is they will move Aldaffer to forward in his brother's position and relace him at guard with one of a bunch of fast young guards, and that one of the Lillard boys will step into Shank's spot. Coach Reed knows how to develop players and the whole bunch has bought into his run and gun.

4. I have always thought that Knight kid at Forrest was awsome, and I think he will have a breakout year. Scnapp is a great shooter and ball handler and they have both grown quite a bit. Johnson is scarey fast, and that sophmore Henson is a big kid with a sweet shot and great speed. I still say they lost some height but are a better team with any of these stepping in. They also have some height on the bench but (this is just a guess) Coach Mac may want to take advantage of great speed and shooting to open the middle for Shankle.

5. Some may disagree, but I think VB had slow feet. I also think it was their only real weakness. They did everything else very well. I think they will miss Plemons more than anyone suspects. Dang, I liked watching that boy play ball.

PS on the bonafides: When I picked Eagleville to beat Forrest last year some said it was laughable and when I was one of the first to pick the Forrest girls for a gold ball (in December) a whole bunch of folks said it was laughable.

Edited by refuge

I'm so glad you're back refuge. Your screen name really should be comedy central b/c your posts are always so hilarious. Your boys would be in a tussle w/ VB if not for one lost player? Haha

You were more than one player away from contention... even with 3 more years experience. I wouldn't be so confident about finishing ahead of MTCS either. And Forrest being better? I mean it is very possible, but not probable after losing two players the caliber of Ezell and Minor. And Eagleville's bench was strong? C'mon they pretty much used the one player (the shooter) and he is one dimensional. Am I saying they won't finish 3rd- not at all, they are very capable, but your take is laughable. And if you paid attention you would know VB was not lacking speed. I did not attend a lot of their games so I don't know why they lost so many close ones, but I bet if VanBurenEagle gets on here and lets us know it pobably won't be lack of speed. Cascade has to be everyone's team to beat until proven otherwise.

Forrest will be better this season. Bank on it.

Eagleville pretty much used one player (the shooter)? Are you kidding? What is sad is you are saying Eagleville only had one player and I dont even know who you are talking about. The shooter? They had 3 players make all-district and none of them were shooters. They have a shooter. A kid named Randolph I think, but he was nowhere near the whole team. He didnt even get any post season awards. They have the younger Alldaffer that can shoot, but he is much more than just a shooter.

Community Hero, I think, grammar was referring to eagleville's bench when he was talking about the shooter - not the whole team. At least that is how i read it, but i could be wrong.

You have to like that whatever refuge says he backs it up with reasoning. He never just "types" anything. And kudos to yours for never giving up and I do think you guys will be improved this year.

As for us - who knows? How will the bench develop? Who will fill in the fifth starting spot? How has everyone progressed with their game? All of these are yet to be determined up here on the mountain. We did lose one at the end of the year last year who I think would have helped our post game, but I'm sure our boys have overcome that by now & it is still to be seen how we will fare against a much harder schedule this year. I don't think it is posted online yet, but I saw it in our local paper and wow. We travel to Temple, open in HoF games against AA dekalb & AAA Cumberland Co and are going to a new Christmas Tournament. That's on top of playing 2 with Pickett and 5 other AA opponents.

As far as last year and the speed thing, I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I did not believe it was a problem (we beat extremely quick teams in Clay & Pickett both of whom advanced to the state & substate respectively) as much as turnovers were in our losses. Hopefully, our guys have it fixed. Good luck to all!!

Good observation about Eagleville! Aaron Alldaffer was All-District and All-Region last year and averaged 17.6 points per game in the tournaments. A four year starter who was our leading scorer his sophmore year and finished 1 ppg behind Shanks last year who we ran most of our offensive scheme through. Don't overlook his point production possibilities this year. Also remember we have Jimbo Porter at guard who can also score as well as Zach Randolph who can drop a bunch of three's if he gets hot. Barrett Bingham who is a sophmore this year at 6' 5" has shown a lot of improvement. We also had two families move into our school zone from Riverdale. Both guys have contributed and the sophmore, Corey Edwards, has looked real good. All teams in our district will represent and I can't wait for the season to start. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by eagledad