GPS 1 - Baylor 0

DonCChatt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To address the problem, I would like to suggest that the TSSAA consider the following rule change in the off-season:

A foul against the goalie inside the box (or maybe inside the inner box) shall result in an automatic penalty kick against the offending team at the opposite end of the field.

This rule change would protect the keeper because it would make offensive players extra careful in this dangerous situation, much as the roughing-the-kicker penalty does in football.

It would also lend symmetry to the situation, in the sense that as the rules now stand the offending side has much more to gain than to lose by wreckless play inside the box.

Just a thought.

To address the problem, I would like to suggest that the TSSAA consider the following rule change in the off-season:

A foul against the goalie inside the box (or maybe inside the inner box) shall result in an automatic penalty kick against the offending team at the opposite end of the field.

This rule change would protect the keeper because it would make offensive players extra careful in this dangerous situation, much as the roughing-the-kicker penalty does in football.

It would also lend symmetry to the situation, in the sense that as the rules now stand the offending side has much more to gain than to lose by wreckless play inside the box.

Just a thought.

Hello I am the reason Americans as a whole dont get soccer!

Just a thought.

So....if the goalie gives the foul to the forward...does the offending player get a pk everytime???

Soccer is a physical sport.

All players need protection.

I think that forwards take much more abuse from defenders than goalies do from forwards. How many times have I seen a forward taken out from behind and no call made when it is really a red card on a goal scoring opportunity.

Edited by basehits

I agree that defensless goalies need to be protected from reckless and/or dirty play from attackers, but the majority of the time the GK is the one who initiates contact. Their job is to get to the ball at all costs and the good ones will. Come heck or high water and too bad to the attacker in their path. That's one reason the GK is usually the biggest player on the field.

Proper technique and a ref who calls the game the way he/she is supposed to helps protect GKs, but it is a physical game and attackers are supposed to score...GKs are supposed to keep them from scoring. I've heard a lot of complaining about attackers making contact with a GK when that keeper is fumbling the ball or they get to it at the same time. More often than not the keeper comes out on top of that contact scenario.

The rules will never be changed (course who knows what the TSSAA will do, they are the only ones that allow a coach to be carded or substitutions on corner kicks), the refs just need to make the calls as needed, both ways...for and against GKs.

I agree that defensless goalies need to be protected from reckless and/or dirty play from attackers, but the majority of the time the GK is the one who initiates contact. Their job is to get to the ball at all costs and the good ones will. Come heck or high water and too bad to the attacker in their path. That's one reason the GK is usually the biggest player on the field.

Proper technique and a ref who calls the game the way he/she is supposed to helps protect GKs, but it is a physical game and attackers are supposed to score...GKs are supposed to keep them from scoring. I've heard a lot of complaining about attackers making contact with a GK when that keeper is fumbling the ball or they get to it at the same time. More often than not the keeper comes out on top of that contact scenario.

The rules will never be changed (course who knows what the TSSAA will do, they are the only ones that allow a coach to be carded or substitutions on corner kicks), the refs just need to make the calls as needed, both ways...for and against GKs.

Exactly, no one wants anyone to get hurt, but all players have a right to the ball in the box and the right to go in aggressive. In girls soccer, I truly doubt that with few exceptions, a girl has it in her mind that she is going to intentionally run into a goalie with the thought of hurting her. Whoever got hurt, those parents are going to see it as a foul and cry dirty play. If the forward got hurt, then it was the goalie who fouled her on purpose.

How bout this, all players need protection)not just goalies, as forwards get crushed all the time by defenders and goalies) and it is the officials job to determine who fouled who, and if the foul was deemed flagrant and/or intentional then she is sent off. Most girls do not try and hurt other girls. Boys do. But not girls except in some rare instances, maybe.

If you ask that girl that ran into the Baylor keeper if she did it on purpose, what do you truly think she feels. NO she did not. She just wanted to make a play as is her job. So stop crying about dirty play and trying to come up with rules to give goalies even more protection than they already have. They can throw there knees up at forwards, they can dive on forwards ankles, knees, and legs and wrap up the balls. All of these things result in forwards having injuries, including an ACL our forward received thanks to a goalie diving on a girls leg as she tried to go around her. So i dont want to hear the crying. It goes both ways. Unfortunate, but no not dirty, and no not mean spirited, and no, no position needs extra protection. Play hard, play fair, and accept injuries as part of the game with no crying about dirty fouls, every time it happens.

Sure Flash thugish play should not be allowed at any position (I know 1 particular thugish striker comes to your mind as she does with many). Refs just need to call the game properly. If it's a foul in the mid-field it's a foul in the box. My daughter is small and as a striker she takes a beating every single game. Both she and I know that's just the way it goes. It's a physical game.

Does anyone know if the TSSAA keeps up with red cards (both soft and hard) and are there any consequences for multiple send offs or cumulative yellow cards?

Sure Flash thugish play should not be allowed at any position (I know 1 particular thugish striker comes to your mind as she does with many). Refs just need to call the game properly. If it's a foul in the mid-field it's a foul in the box. My daughter is small and as a striker she takes a beating every single game. Both she and I know that's just the way it goes. It's a physical game.

Does anyone know if the TSSAA keeps up with red cards (both soft and hard) and are there any consequences for multiple send offs or cumulative yellow cards?

Really how many red cards have any of us seen. It's rare that they give them out. I really think that they are afraid to. It is really a shame. I cant tell you how many times my daughter got taken out this year as a striker and sometimes no calls were made, we were lucky to get a foul called let alone a yellow or red. And several times she was taken out by the goalie and they werent easy fouls. The refs need to keep control of the game on the whole field for ALL positions.

Really how many red cards have any of us seen. It's rare that they give them out. I really think that they are afraid to. It is really a shame. I cant tell you how many times my daughter got taken out this year as a striker and sometimes no calls were made, we were lucky to get a foul called let alone a yellow or red. And several times she was taken out by the goalie and they werent easy fouls. The refs need to keep control of the game on the whole field for ALL positions.

I have heard that the TSSAA keeps up with this as reported from the Refs...but I have never heard of anyone suffering any consequences from this....it may just be an urban legend. Ultimately you have to depend upon a coach to police his/her players and not allow any player to play dirty or cheap, but obviously some coaches just prefer to look the other way....It might help if reds and yellows were reported just like goals and saves in the box scores!...some players might get their names in the paper more than they might prefer!!!! :thumb: