Comcast BBB "Friday Night Scoreboard"

Wildmanfan

I have never seen grown men talk out of both sides of their mouths like the hosts did tonight in such a public forum. I would like to buy them for what they are worth and sell them for what they think their worth. I cant see how the sponsers would want to be associated with such hypocrisy. Who do they think they are. They let negative callers say whatever as long as they agree and then hang up on anyone who expresses an opinion in oppisition. Thats just plain chicken xcrement If they think their behavior is gonna increase ratings or send customers to their sponsers place of business they have lost their minds. The one guy on the far right has a new website..yeah the cover page is a picture of him kissing himself. The way they talked tonight and hung up on people brought what sounded like an elderly woman caller to tears. Now thats something to be proud of. They finally said if you didnt like it turn the channel. So I did. Although my TV will never play their show again....thats only one viewer and they are so arrogant they probably could care less. The point is their sponsers should know I will not be the only one. :(

Edited by Wildmanfan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I love that channel ... Saturday mornings from 10 a.m. to noon!

No seriously, I didn't get to watch the show, was doing something more important. I would guess there was a lot of emotion tonight, with Oak Ridge losing its second-straight, coupled with the fact some people ... in Anderson County and surrounding areas get a major rush out of Oak Ridge losing, things got a bit out of hand.

Local channels should be positive no matter what. I know, personally, the past few years that I was on the air there, I would make a point to try and build up the Clinton program through the rough times (by the way, congratulations to coach Shattuck and the Dragons tonight).

I could never use my "15 minutes of fame" on a local TV channel to trash, put down or get joy from the shortcomings of kids playing a game. However, I didn't see what happened, just know I got a few phone calls about it for some reason. My wife got mad! :thumb:

FRIDAY NIGHT SCOREBOARD has been a Friday night staple since the middle 90's in Roane County and in our 6th season in Anderson County. It got out of hand last night, I agree. I don't think that you should hold the station responsible for things that were said by UNPAID hosts though.

I put my life and soul into this community channel and try to make it the best that I possibly can as an employee of a VERY small company. I put 80 plus hours a week of work in and stay here until 1:30 or 2am every Friday doing the show (production wise) and then setting up for the Gridiron Breakfast for the next morning and then dragging myself out of the bed to make it in for the Breakfast.

I was in the control room building REGION STANDINGS graphics when all HECK broke loose. We had one caller that said Kingston played dirty, then one of our hosts from Kingston said that the big kid from Harriman played dirty (well as most people in the Tri-County area know when you say BIG kid from Harriman, who you're talking about). This lit the phone's up! Then our phone operator got a little too trigger happy on the phone and cut at least 3 people off, that I can remember, which then made our lady caller from Oak Ridge VERY upset. I agreed with her as that we should let the callers voice their opinion.

I didn't know what to do at this point! I just sat in amazement of what was happening. Things just went downhill. So what do you do?? After the break things got a little better, but by this time we were getting calls of support for the hosts, and calls against the host, so you're not going to please everyone. I don't agree with everything said and agree with the lady that called and glad that she did it.

So the moral of my post is that just because it happened on the local community station, don't blame everyone and our sponsors for something that "snowballed" last night. For the most part, the program is positive and is very caller driven. Sometime's things get out of hand and I apologize for that. But what do you do?? Maybe I needed to put an end to it earlier, I just don't know. But PLEASE don't lump all shows, all employees and all sponsors into one bad night on the Friday Night Scoreboard.

Thanks for reading and listening to MY SIDE of the story. If you want to talk about it, give me a call Monday - Friday at the station - 483-8112 or call my cell phone at 386-6722.

J. Brad Jones

General Manager

BBB Communications

Cable Channel 12

brad@bbbtv12.com

I wasn't talking about any other show on BBB just the one they call the "Friday Night Scoreboard" on Friday nights after the games. I don't really even care that people are supposedly "happy" about Oak Ridges' season thus far. Thats their thing but why should they be able to say whatever they say and other people including myself get cut off in mid sentence. I wasn't being rude I wasn't using or....gonna use fowl language. I simply had a point of view different than the "hostesses" of the show.

Everyone can get the scores of their games as well as other games real-time right here on Coach-T.

I will without doubt be getting my scores right here.

I am not sure how they figure their ratings but the only way to change the way it is run now is to affect the ratings......well Alice I guess thats not it either. I heard last years show was the highest rated show on BBB. That doesn't mean last years show and the fact the hosts have changed is the reason for me saying any of this. The fact is "Friday Night Scoreboard" is not the kind of show these kids from whatever school deserve.

Where is Mike Richards when you need him. Even so far back as when he hosted the show on Friday nights it was something you cared about watching.

Brad The whole point of my post was that it was "this" show. I have said it many times that this community and kids are lucky to have the support and exposure the channel gives them. I clearly pointed to the hosts, it was their comments and actions not the callers that was responsible for the way things went. I think the answer to what do I do is pretty simple put some different butts in those seats. As un-fair as it is the whole station and the hard working selfless people and sponsers who probably care more about the kids than the revenue their sponsership generates are dragged right along with the actions and in-actions of the people that are sitting in front of the camera.

Well I agree that you didn't mention any other show, but when you mention the station, it lumps the whole station into your comments.

I agree 100% that it was UNCALLED FOR on the hanging up on people, I told the operator that he should explain why he was hanging up on people that he was afraid that they were going to cuss, if that was the reason, he hung up on them.

The hosts from last year are the same, other than Donnie Davis from Kingston. Queener got sick last season and missed out on the majority of the season and might be the reason you don't remember him.

the Wednesday night show, might be more of what you are referencing. That was out of my hands on the changing of guard, that was done by the owner of the station, the one who signs my paycheck.

if you're watching the breakfast show right now, call in, get your points across now, and enjoy the freedom of speech that you can get on this show. However, Tank won't let you get negative, too much.

I appreciate your comments and the fact that you don't think the station is ALL bad.

Would you like to come and set in on the show and be a part of it???

I thought Tank, Goose and a guest ( a few different people ) did the Friday night show last year. Your right I may be thinking of Wednesday nights last year. However I don't ever remember the Friday night show ever being like it is this year. You have invited us to come be a part of the show. Frankly thats what several others and myself attempted to do Friday and were hung up on. You also suggested to call Gridiron breakfast to get my points across. That would be very unfair to Tank and his show. I have done what I wanted to do and hope the powers that be there at BBB step up and do the right thing. Those guys were so pompass Friday they had a lady call crying if that isn't enough to provoke a change then it does become a reflection of the channel and the sponsers of that particular program. Sorry Brad thats just how I see it. I dont want to come be a part of the show I want to watch the show and call in if I have a comment. Good Luck you really seem to be a stand up guy and I regret you being caught up in this and having to be the one who seems to be taking the heat.

Last year, when Oak Ridge played at home, I would stop by and help out ... but I wasn't really part of the show. That didn't last the entire season, due to the fact that the hard-working people who were doing the show last season, and myself, just didn't share the same sports philosophy.

I thought Tank, Goose and a guest ( a few different people ) did the Friday night show last year. Your right I may be thinking of Wednesday nights last year. However I don't ever remember the Friday night show ever being like it is this year. You have invited us to come be a part of the show. Frankly thats what several others and myself attempted to do Friday and were hung up on. You also suggested to call Gridiron breakfast to get my points across. That would be very unfair to Tank and his show. I have done what I wanted to do and hope the powers that be there at BBB step up and do the right thing. Those guys were so pompass Friday they had a lady call crying if that isn't enough to provoke a change then it does become a reflection of the channel and the sponsers of that particular program. Sorry Brad thats just how I see it. I dont want to come be a part of the show I want to watch the show and call in if I have a comment. Good Luck you really seem to be a stand up guy and I regret you being caught up in this and having to be the one who seems to be taking the heat.

I'm going to take the tape to Ron Berry, owner of BBB, and let him take a look at it and let him make the decision on what he wants to do. I'm sure that we lost some viewers Friday night. But then again, some people called in in support of the views of the guys on the show, so again, it's a lose/lose situation. You take them off and the people who enjoy the show as is, get's mad. You leave them on and the people who disagree get's mad!

I just hope this doesn't keep you from watching OTHER shows on Channel 12, cause my kids depend on people like you watching the shows and supporting our sponsors!!! This has been my LIFE for the past 10 years and I hope for the MOST part what I do at Channel 12 is positive.

Brad is a great guy and he works his butt off for channel 12. He is really in a tough situation, without going into detail, and doesn't get to decide who is on the air or not, in some situations.

One show ... where a knucklehead or two made some bad decisions about their on-air content shouldn't force a few to hold a grudge against the entire channel. He does all he can and has a good handle on what is good for the community.

But Brad and even the owner should realize you could put three monkeys and a tamborine on the air Friday night and it's going to be the most-watched show the channel has. It really represents the channel and you all build it as the biggest thing you have. That's why the owner should be a little more selective about who does it.

However, I also know it's not easy to find people to come up there late Friday night and do a three-hour show, no matter how good the pizza is! Trust me folks, if anyone SHOULDN'T support channel 12 at times it's me. I do, however, because it is still a community outlet to get athletic programs more publicity and I really like Brad because I respect people that work so hard at their craft.

I'm going to take the tape to Ron Berry, owner of BBB, and let him take a look at it and let him make the decision on what he wants to do. I'm sure that we lost some viewers Friday night. But then again, some people called in in support of the views of the guys on the show, so again, it's a lose/lose situation. You take them off and the people who enjoy the show as is, get's mad. You leave them on and the people who disagree get's mad!

I just hope this doesn't keep you from watching OTHER shows on Channel 12, cause my kids depend on people like you watching the shows and supporting our sponsors!!! This has been my LIFE for the past 10 years and I hope for the MOST part what I do at Channel 12 is positive.