Campbell Co Coach on TV for Supplying Creatine

Topgun

OK. I've waited for some other adult to jump on this thread and say the right things about Creatine Monohydrate but so far...nada. I have a couple of athletes and I had to become educated about the suppliment issues. I studied Creatine Monohydrate (CM) Amino Acids (AA) Human Growth Hormone (HGH) along with a couple of actual "steroids" for about 2 years before deciding on what to let my athletes use. I consider myself somewhat of an expert on CM, its delivery method, and the do's and don'ts of its use. First of all this directive is addressed to all the parents on this thread...If you don't completely understand CM how can you let your child use it. There are tons of misconceptions regarding CM and I will list the most important features.

1. The powdered form of CM should be avoided. The reasons are cost, hard on kidneys, hard on liver, hard on complete digestive system, and difficult to ingest.

2. CM can only be taken with water. Caffiene, Citric Acid, and Fructose all destroy CM's ability to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Glucose is the only "sugar" that does not turn CM into "Creatanine" which is a waste product. It is not commercially available.

3. CM requires 8-10 10oz. glasses of water a day while actively using the suppliment otherwise localized dehydration can occur. Local dehydration happens when a thigh or calf muscle runs out of water and steals its needed water from the closest supply (wherever that may be) and a resulting cramp occurs. The worst case scenario is a heart attack.

Some of your points are contridictory. How can it cause all these negative effects if it is difficult to digest? The prescribed doses are between 3-5grams a day after the loading phase, if one is used. As far as safety goes numerous short and long term studies have shown no damage to the kidneys or liver or muscle cramps or strains when used in the correct doses. Powder is the the way to go if it is micronized, meaning the finest smallest powder they make (dust). Pills are a waste of money.

Heart attack???? What source did this come from? Maybe mixed with Epedra or Mahung.

There are several forms af creatine on the market besides CM. There is creatine-alpha-ketoglutarate(AKG), creatine glucnate(CG), creatinemethyl ester(CME) to name a few. Some people respond to these some don't. The key is to try one and see if works for your needs. And yes drink plenty of water no matter which type you try. It should also be cycled every 6 weeks. The key is to follow the manufactures directions exactly. Read up on it, get educated and decide for yourself if you or your son should take this stuff.

And don't forget the PROTEIN. It is more important than the creatine. 2gms per pound of body weight ervery day to gain muscle mass. 1gm to maintain.

None of this stuff will do you any good with out a good work routine. If you are not comitted to working out, don't waste your money.

HGH, DHEA, and any type of testosterone booster is an absolute NO NO if you are still in your teens. Your body produces way to much of the stuff now. Taking this stuff will make your system become dependant on it and your body will stop producing it on its own. If you want to have man boobies help yourself.

Edited by Topgun

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means supporting the supplying kids with supplements but if kids eat red meat or chicken they are most likely getting their daily supply of steroids. Because the feed lots and chicken farms use steroids on their livestock. It is a proven fact that this ends up in lower concentration on our tables. I think we should be concerned with this as parents.

I am by no means supporting the supplying kids with supplements but if kids eat red meat or chicken they are most likely getting their daily supply of steroids. Because the feed lots and chicken farms use steroids on their livestock. It is a proven fact that this ends up in lower concentration on our tables. I think we should be concerned with this as parents.

You have a very valid point.

Some of your points are contridictory. None of my points are contradictory. How can it cause all these negative effects if it is difficult to digest? It causes all these negative effects because it is difficult to digest. 1. When taking powder CM you must take 10 times the amount needed because of the inefficiency of digesting a powder. 2. 90% of what you are taking goes out the urinary tract (overworking the kidneys). All of this gets filtered through the liver even before that. 3. It is much easier to digest something that is dissolved (water soluble) than something that needs to be dissolved such as powder. When using powder CM or anything else powder for that matter, more of the product must be ingested than actually is desired to be in the blood stream simply because of the inefficiency of the digestion of powder. So you are taking 10 times the amount you need on a daily basis. 90% of the money you are spending you are urinating it out and putting stress and strain on your body. The prescribed doses are between 3-5grams a day after the loading phase The loading phase is a waste of time, effort, and money. As far as safety goes numerous short and long term studies have shown no damage to the kidneys or liver or muscle cramps or strains when used in the correct doses. You need to go back to the research table. The U.S. Army has done quite a bit of research on Creatine with interesting findings. Powder is the the way to go if it is micronized, meaning the finest smallest powder they make (dust). Powder is powder and it is the worst way to go. Heart attack???? What source did this come from? You did not read the post. I did not state there was a documented case of a heart attack. I stated that the worst case scenario of localized cramping due to a lack of water while using CM can cause water to be "borrowed" from other muscles. The heart is a muscle. Therefore the heart can cramp. When the heart cramps the result is not good. It is unlikely for this to happen however when educating young men to use this product one must responsibly present all possibilities. The key is to try one and see if works for your needs. The key is to get on the computer and research and know exactly what you are taking and exactly what it does when it enters your body before you take it. It should also be cycled every 6 weeks. If the correct product is used under the correct guidlines then cycling every three months is optimum. This accomidates all four major high school sports. And don't forget the PROTEIN. It is more important than the creatine. You are correct, it is important. All the more importance for doing research. None of this stuff will do you any good with out a good work routine. Exactly! These recomendations only work if you work. These products simply allow you to reach a higher plateu. But you must climb to get there.

hey peeblee, what's the inside scoop up there. is someone mad and trying to get rid of the ?winningest coach? in CCCHS history.

not sure what all is going on...

as I have posted before i am basically low profile now...

all I know is what I have read here on coach t and another sports related sports board devoted solely to CC sports...

I didnt even know that th eJV scedule had been cancelled until I read it here just moments ago...

is that really true...

where is that source coming from...

not that I doubt it I just ahd not heard about it...

Well I don't want to sound anal but during this game one of the CC players took a hard (legal shot) during a kickoff return. This was near the end of the game, when the CC player came off the field to line up on the 50 to shake hands with the opposing team he left his helmet on and took a helmet from a teammate to use on the opposing player that had blocked him. Needless to say folks in the stands started yelling and losing their cool quickly over this. A younger coach (do not know his name) came up to this player laughing and took the helmet and hid it. Knowing what happened in CC just a year ago you would think they would not be attitudes like this especially when someone could be seriously hurt. The father of the young man (who was totally oblivous to what was going on celebrating with his teammates shaking hands with opposing players etc.etc.) from the opposing team went on the field (peacefully I might add) to ask the CC coaches if they were going to talk to their player about his actions he was met with a very combative attitude and was actually told by the coach that took the helmet that it did not happen and he better get off the field. All the other coaches were very beligerent toward the parent as well. Don't get me wrong I understand that coaches have to take care of thier players individually and that young man did not need to be severely punished but you have to at least give the impression that you care. I mean there is no need in getting on TV and crying about the sad situation that happened there last year when you can't handle something as small as this. One of the other parents suggested that the father contact the CC schools administration over the way he was treated but he stated that he bet that would just be a waste of time. Anyway that is the short version and let me say I am not against CC I have many friends and family from there.

Also concerning the supplements I think as long as it is legal and parents have knowledge of it there should be no problem.

if what you are saying is true (and I am not doubting one bit) then that player should be strongly disciplined...

I can kinda understand teh coach defending his player, but if something like this happens then actions should be taken and strong ones...

when I coached at CC our biggest goal and concern was to shake teh poor sportsmanship and cheap shot reputation that preceeded us ...

and that was a monumental task...

I think we did go along ways in negating it though...

if what you are saying is true (and I am not doubting one bit) then that player should be strongly disciplined...

I can kinda understand teh coach defending his player, but if something like this happens then actions should be taken and strong ones...

when I coached at CC our biggest goal and concern was to shake teh poor sportsmanship and cheap shot reputation that preceeded us ...

and that was a monumental task...

I think we did go along ways in negating it though...

I think you made great strides while you were there coach. And like I said everyone involved including the father understood that the coaching staff would have or should have to deal with the player individually nobody was calling for his head just some reassurance that it would be dealt with. I mean a helmet upside a bare head could have been fatal if the player had finished what he set out to do. The really sad part was a group of parents left CC football stadium thinking all the rumors about this place (cheapshotting, redneck antics etc etc.) must have been true. Because a concerned parent was ridiculed by coaches who are also supposed to be educators.

Anyway all that aside I hope CC rebounds and does better on the field and off.

I didnt even know that th eJV scedule had been cancelled until I read it here just moments ago...

is that really true...

That was me that heard it from some concerned parents of J.V. players that were told there season was over before it was completed with different reasons. You know the rumor mill though, we do keep feeding itl.

not sure what all is going on...

as I have posted before i am basically low profile now...

all I know is what I have read here on coach t and another sports related sports board devoted solely to CC sports...

is that really true...

hope you do find out and let us know whats going on up there, (use that low profile angle and dig it out of someone). If that coach is gone it sounds like you might need to take over again if all this unsportsmanlike conduct is going on.

BTW, meant to make it to the game with my dogs but work is so screwed up right now i haven't gotten to go to many ballgames this year. would of loved to meet ya and see that CCCHS hospitality during a dog cougar game but hearing this stuff i might not want it. but i know youd treat me well peeblee.

I think you made great strides while you were there coach. And like I said everyone involved including the father understood that the coaching staff would have or should have to deal with the player individually nobody was calling for his head just some reassurance that it would be dealt with. I mean a helmet upside a bare head could have been fatal if the player had finished what he set out to do. The really sad part was a group of parents left CC football stadium thinking all the rumors about this place (cheapshotting, redneck antics etc etc.) must have been true. Because a concerned parent was ridiculed by coaches who are also supposed to be educators.

Anyway all that aside I hope CC rebounds and does better on the field and off.

thank you for your kin comments...they are muchlyappreciated!!!

as far as actions against the player who appeared ready to use his helmet as a weapon, I think drastic meaqsures should be taken...

this shoud never be allowed...

I actually saw a CC player hit a young fan "up the side of the head" at scott county one year after a game...

I was working WLAF radio at that time...

it was disgusting to say the least...

fortunately no one was seriously injured but most CC fans were very embarrassed, especially when the coach did nothing!!!

I dont know who the JV coaches are but they should be given a "good talkin to" about this matter!!!

hope you do find out and let us know whats going on up there, (use that low profile angle and dig it out of someone). If that coach is gone it sounds like you might need to take over again if all this unsportsmanlike conduct is going on.

BTW, meant to make it to the game with my dogs but work is so screwed up right now i haven't gotten to go to many ballgames this year. would of loved to meet ya and see that CCCHS hospitality during a dog cougar game but hearing this stuff i might not want it. but i know youd treat me well peeblee.

well JKar, low profile has been at work...

things kinda quiet at CCHS about the "supplement issue" but it did make teh headlines of the local weekly paper this week...

inside teh hallways rumors have it that a young player has had some kidney problems probably due to the fact that he didnt have enough fluid intake with the supplement...

he played quite a bit at the beginning fo the season...

I wondered what had happened to him...

I dont go to the games but I hadnt heard his name mentioned on teh replays (which I see very little of) or read his name in the local paper...

even heard teh rumor that some of the team want him off the team now for whatever reasons (you do teh specualting---I have to live and work here at CCHS---LOL...)

rumor source not the best in the world but not always teh worst either...thats the best I can do on that right now...

local paper eports that the substance was found by teh pricipal while inspecting some work being done on teh CCHS fieldhouse...

he confiscated it (along with some aspirin/tylenol type products which are prohibited by CC school board)...

I think the paper reported that the school purchased the supplement (some $4000 worth) ...

not sure if that is true or not...

thats teh best I canoffer right now..

and yeah JKar I would treat you quite well if and when we meet, my friend