Who is the best coach ever in TN?

Bassfishing_205

Coach Boyce Smith at Springfield High School, back in the day. He made the Ripley's Believe It or Not for 'Touchdown a Minute Team' were his 1930(i know it is old but if you think about it) team average a touchdown a minute in football play. He now has the high school field/stadium named after him he is the one of the winningest coach in Tennessee History to this day(288 victories from 1928-1972 (288-116-34 .696)( He is 4th behind Carlton Flatt(341 wins @ <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> from 1971-2005, John Tucker 332 victories @ Parsons, Tiptonville, Lewis County, Dickson, Milan, Gibson County, Humboldt , and 324 E.B. "Red" Etter @ Chattanooga Central & Baylor School) That is pretty amazing in my books

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey lefty, even when Flatt was winning in AA, he still beat the best of the best in any class, in any state. Flatt has never retired, he stepped aside for 2 years to battle in court. He could not give coaching his all while he was battling the T$$AA, so he stepped aside. It is unfortunate what happened with Tom Moore, Coach Flatt is not the kind of man that sets out to hurt anyone. The Battle was over with the T$$AA, BA won, and Flatt was like the fighter, or player, he could not give up something that he loved sooo much. Sorry Tom Moore. BA does not have to recruit, esp. kids from out of state. A family moving to the Nashville area looks for the best schools and like it or not, BA falls into that cat. I knew my post would bring out some haters, it did not take you long. Let me guess, Flatt came to your house and offered you or your son a scholarship, yea, I've heard that before. By the way, that coward AD was Flatt, like I said, he never retired, he only took a break to concentrate his efforts on the court case. Another great victory for The old ball coach. Oh, thanks for the complement about the "best athletes", It makes me feel great and like a champion. Wait, I am, twice. Let's get it on, lol

Yeah BA has a "transfer" from Georgia and one from Texas this year and they both happen to be super football players.....whatever hero. We all know that Flatt has recruited and he still does, no body here is that dumb so just humor us. I was in my coaches office after one of our players had brought him a letter trying to get him to go to BA; our coach called Flatt and chewed him out. Coach Tucker and Coach Boyce Smith both coached great teams for alot of years and did it with the hand they were dealt. Flatt turned down the offer to coach the Nashville Cats; I guess since all the teams had the same scouting and recruiting methods as him he wouldnt have the advantage he is used to so he didnt want any part of it.

44 YEARS WITH AN AVERAG OF 7 WINS PER SEASON AGAINST THE BEST COMPETITION THE STATE HAD TO OFFER. tHIS WAS DONE WITH THE STUDENTS THAT WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR FROM THE AREA THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO COME FROM. fLATT MAY VERY WELL SHARE THE AWARD WITH TOMMY OWENS AS PRIVATE SCHOOL COACHES. tUCKER WAS GREAT BUT HIS SUCCESS CAME IN LOWER CLASSIFICATIONS. bOYCE sMITH WITHOUT A DOUBT. hE MADE CHINCKEN SALAD OUT OF CHICKEN-----.

44 YEARS WITH AN AVERAG OF 7 WINS PER SEASON AGAINST THE BEST COMPETITION THE STATE HAD TO OFFER. tHIS WAS DONE WITH THE STUDENTS THAT WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR FROM THE AREA THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO COME FROM. fLATT MAY VERY WELL SHARE THE AWARD WITH TOMMY OWENS AS PRIVATE SCHOOL COACHES. tUCKER WAS GREAT BUT HIS SUCCESS CAME IN LOWER CLASSIFICATIONS. bOYCE sMITH WITHOUT A DOUBT. hE MADE CHINCKEN SALAD OUT OF CHICKEN-----.

I want to say Boyce Smith but I am from Springfield and cant without any bias. I am part of the "Carroll family" who played at Springfield. Anyone who knows Springfield football history knows the significance of that. Springfiled football is near and dear to my heart. Boyce Smith coach many of my relatives including my dad and he was a football icon. I am not saying he is the best ever in TN, but I will say without hesitation, he is among the best ever in TN.

Sure I can. The guy can coach.

Yeah alot of people can coach the talent he had to work with; or should I say the talent he acquired. Coach Boyce Smith had the success he had with hand he was dealt. I am not trying to knock you are even Coach Flatt just saying that how can you really tell how he would have done in a traditional high school format.

I want to say Boyce Smith but I am from Springfield and cant without any bias. I am part of the "Carroll family" who played at Springfield. Anyone who knows Springfield football history knows the significance of that. Springfiled football is near and dear to my heart. Boyce Smith coach many of my relatives including my dad and he was a football icon. I am not saying he is the best ever in TN, but I will say without hesitation, he is among the best ever in TN.

I am a part of one lucky family in terms of legendary Tennessee HS coaches--I played for Coach Owen at MBA, and my dad played for Coach Smith at Springfield. My favorite part about this is how much respect Coach Owen had for Coach Smith. He could talk for hours about some of the match-ups they had early in his (Coach Owen's) career. Both among the true giants of coaching in TN!

I am a part of one lucky family in terms of legendary Tennessee HS coaches--I played for Coach Owen at MBA, and my dad played for Coach Smith at Springfield. My favorite part about this is how much respect Coach Owen had for Coach Smith. He could talk for hours about some of the match-ups they had early in his (Coach Owen's) career. Both among the true giants of coaching in TN!

I would love to go back in the past and watch some of their match-ups..... :lol:

I was in my coaches office after one of our players had brought him a letter trying to get him to go to BA; our coach called Flatt and chewed him out.

This would be funny if it wasn't so stupid. Just suppose that Coach Flatt actually wanted to persuade a player at another high school to transfer. Who thinks that this is the method he would use?