6AA District

tnwarrior

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how will the eteams from the valley do this year against teams from chatt.

bledsoe

seq.

marion

too early to tell. How much did Bledsoe lose to graduation. Marion lost 6 players to graduation. Marion has a new coach in Coach K. Grundy will be fair. East Ridge will be tough as well as Howard and Christian. Not sure about Notre Dame. Dunlap will also be competitive. Dont know much about Hixson.

Seq should have about five or six in the 6'3" or taller range. Lost 4 seniors, three of those were starters. Mooneyham at post, Bureau at point were the big losses. I think they have a good chance at finishing in the top 4, moving into the region again. I'd call Howard the favorite, with CCS a darkhorse to win it. ND returns the big scorer and the big post both. ER was very inconsistent, but they and the other 3 Chatt teams might end up being your top four. Always a challenge for the valley teams, but usually one breaks through and goes to the region.

Edited by Indian

Seq. should take the valley again this year. They have about 5 or 6 seniors this year. They could put as many as all 5 senior on the floor at one time with alot of help from the bench. The power house in this league will still be Howard, Notre Dame, East ridge, CCs also but are still going to be a young team. The team you will have to watch out for some will be bledsoe, they will step up and win a few games this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Seq. should take the valley again this year. They have about 5 or 6 seniors this year. They could put as many as all 5 senior on the floor at one time with alot of help from the bench. The power house in this league will still be Howard, Notre Dame, East ridge, CCs also but are still going to be a young team. The team you will have to watch out for some will be bledsoe, they will step up and win a few games this year.

I agree with some of this, such as Seq. will take the valley. And Notre Dame will have their big scorer back who has gotten a lot better. Being from Howard it's obvious that we're gonna be the favorite. East Ridge just gots the 2 key players, the guy with the braids and the big dude. As far as CCS they weren't even good last year just got lucky against ND in the district (just like Seq. against Hixson).

too early to tell. How much did Bledsoe lose to graduation. Marion lost 6 players to graduation. Marion has a new coach in Coach K. Grundy will be fair. East Ridge will be tough as well as Howard and Christian. Not sure about Notre Dame. Dunlap will also be competitive. Dont know much about Hixson.

Oh I don't really know much bout Hixson either. I know they only lost 1 senior and he wasn't even a factor. But they got some good guards I think. . . But they beat every team in the district last year except us. (Howard)

I agree with some of this, such as Seq. will take the valley. And Notre Dame will have their big scorer back who has gotten a lot better. Being from Howard it's obvious that we're gonna be the favorite. East Ridge just gots the 2 key players, the guy with the braids and the big dude. As far as CCS they weren't even good last year just got lucky against ND in the district (just like Seq. against Hixson).

Tell me how Sequatchie got lucky against Hixson, be specific.

Tell me how Sequatchie got lucky against Hixson, be specific.

Because when they played a couple weeks before that I seen in the paper that they won by 20. Hixson just had a really bad game. . . they weren't that good to begin with but they're still better than Seq. I'm just sayin they didn't really deserve to be there. in the region.

Edited by alwaysballin1

Here is a game story from that district tournament game. Sequatchie beat Hixson 2/3 for the year.

The Sequatchie County High School Indians assured themselves of at least three more games this season, qualifying for the region basketball tournament after defeating Hixson on Tuesday night. Tournament host Sequatchie led by double figures much of the second half and held on for a 67-60 win.

The Indians split with Hixson in the regular season, with each team winning on its own court. Sequatchie�s loss at Hixson was one of the team�s worst this season, but the Indians put that game behind them and controlled most of the contest.

Sequatchie (18-10) fell behind 7-2 early, after a basket by senior Will Lockhart gave the team a 2-0 lead 15 seconds into the game. Curt Bureau�s lay-up cut the Wildcat lead to 7-4, but Hixson jumped ahead 10-4 with 4:22 left in the first.

A steal by Lockhart led to a three-pointer by junior guard Ryan Vandenburg, then Vandenburg�s short jumper made it a one-point game with three minutes left. Senior Clint Mooneyham followed the five-point run with an impressive block, then the Indians had two consecutive steals but turned the ball over after each.

Hixson went back up by three with a quick lay-up at the 2:00 minute mark, but another shot by Vandenburg made the score 12-11. Two made free throws by Hixson followed, but the Indians again cut the lead to one with a shot by Bureau. The Indians gained another steal but had another turnover after it, but a follow-up basket by junior Shawn Fine with 10 seconds left gave the Indians a 15-14 lead after eight minutes.

Sequatchie started off hot in the second quarter, with three-pointers by Vandenburg and junior Kevin Reid in the first 1:20 giving their team a 21-15 lead. Fine was fouled on a follow-up basket and hit the resulting free throw, putting the Indians ahead 28-19 with 3:30 left in the first half.

The Indians gained their largest lead of the half, 29-19, with a foul shot by Fine with 2:10 left, but two quick baskets by Hixson made the score 29-23 a minute later. A jumper by Bureau with 35 seconds to go finished the first half scoring at 31-23 in favor of the Indians.

SCHS led by 10 to 12 points for much of the third quarter before Hixson began a comeback. Fine had six points in the first four minutes of the third, helping the Indians to a 41-31 lead. After a basket by Mooneyham made the margin 12 with three minutes to go, Hixson finished the quarter with a 10-2 run and trailed 45-41 heading into the fourth.

The Indians built the lead into double figures again during an 8-2 run in the first three minutes of the fourth, as Mooneyham, Fine, Lockhart and Vandenburg each scored. Sequatchie led 54-43 with four minutes to go in the game, but then missed six consecutive foul shots. Hixson made the score 56-46 with 2:26 left before Vandenburg hit two free throws, but Sequatchie then missed two more at the foul line. The Wildcats cut the lead to 60-54 over the next minute of game time, before Bureau�s two free throws brought the margin to eight.

Sequatchie then put the game away, as Bureau rebounded a missed Hixson three-pointer and quickly passed down the court to Mooneyham. The senior post was fouled while hitting a lay-up, and connected on the foul shot to make the score 65-54 with 45 seconds left. Hixson made two three-pointers in the final 30 seconds, and the Indians hit 2-4 foul shots to make the final score 67-60.

The Indians had four players finish in double figures. Vandenburg had 20 points and Fine scored 15. Mooneyham had heavy attention from Hixson�s defense throughout the game but still finished with 12 points, while Bureau scored 11. Lockhart and Reid each scored four and senior Riley Blevins had one point.

Why are we digging up last year's article that was written for a local rag by a local reporter? The fact is that Hixson should not have lost either time to Sequachie but it's ironic that both losses came in dunlap. This year's top four teams will come from Chattanooga. The Sequachie valley doesn't have anyone that can compete this year. The District will be won by Howard and ER, Hixson and Notre Dame will fight for the 2 - 4 spots. I don't see CCS being in the mix even with their very young team.

Why are we digging up last year's article that was written for a local rag by a local reporter? The fact is that Hixson should not have lost either time to Sequachie but it's ironic that both losses came in dunlap. This year's top four teams will come from Chattanooga. The Sequachie valley doesn't have anyone that can compete this year. The District will be won by Howard and ER, Hixson and Notre Dame will fight for the 2 - 4 spots. I don't see CCS being in the mix even with their very young team.

Couldn't have said it better myself.