Lanxter turns down Hometown UT for a taste of the "Mountains&quot

OS91

ALCOA, Tenn.--Imagine being cooped up in the office of a potential position coach of a bigtime Southeastern Conference school which is about 10 miles from your front door.

Now consider that Tennessee wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor brought along head coach Phillip Fulmer, offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe and defensive coordinator John Chavis to seal the deal.

You are in there for about two hours. You know about Tennessee. You know you could be one of the hometown kids playing before 100,000 Orange Bloods in Neyland Stadium on selected Knoxville fall Saturdays.

When you walk out, you are more sure than ever you want to be a West Virginia Mountaineer, in part because you started recruiting WVU when you were a sophomore in high school, and secondly because when you met with Rich Rodriguez, you got a one-on-one in the big man's office.

That and the fact that Butch Jones, the WVU wide receivers coach, had made you comfortable with your place in the class of 2007 and that at slot receiver you would have a chance to make an impact in the currently 4th-ranked program.

Finally, WVU chaplain Danny Buggs, an All-American wide receiver from the South, was the kind of guy "I could talk to" when he made an unofficial visit last summer. "He was open, he joked around. He was different. He wasn't fake," Lanxter said.

Though Tennessee put late pressure on the potential first-team All-State player from traditional 2A power Alcoa High, Lanxter remained firm on his commitment to the Mountaineers. Though UT hinted at a negative perception of WVU's supposedly weak schedule, and the jam-packed houses traditional in the Southeastern Conference, he said the Big Orange has since backed off.

Lanxter came to Alcoa at first to play basketball. The Rockets also have a traditionally strong hoop program and the 6-foot-2, 185 pounder has skills in the area, evidence of which is that he has played on the national Tennessee Breakers AAU squad for two years (he also has run a 21.9 200 meters in outdoor track).

But then head football coach Scott Porter, now Alcoa's principal, talked him into coming out for football. His decision to do so has paid off. He had caught 11 passes for 280 yards coming into last Friday night's game in the traditional power-I running attack where he is a stealth downfield blocker. He also plays corner and safety on defense, locking down on the other team's best receiver.

John Adams, who played at rival Maryville High, but has coached at Alcoa for a long time said, "I have known Kyrus since he got here and I am telling you, he is a diamond in the rough. West Virginia got an absolute steal here. We have another player (defensive end Rae Sykes) who is being recruited by everybody. But this youngster, Kyrus, is going to be something on the next level," the Alcoa assistant said.

Lanxter came to Morgantown with the Breakers for a summer AAU tournament two years ago and decided to go over to visit the football facilities because he was getting serious about playing football on the next level.

At the time, the WVU staff did not know he was coming. So when he came back with the Breakers this summer, assistant coach Jones had made sure to invite Lanxter over. There he met with Jones and head coach Rich Rodriguez. The offer was extended there.

Louisville had been considered the leader for the receiver, but after a summer camp experience there, he started leaning toward WVU. UT was a late suitor. But he is coming to WVU.

"Really, I talked it over with my little brother even before I talked to my parents," Lanxter said of his final decision on where he would commit. He had eight offers on the table, including another SEC school, Ole Miss.

"But I had told my little brother once that if he wanted to be a tuba player in the high school marching band then that's what he should do. Everybody's gotta find something," Kyrus said.

The younger brother told Lanxter that indeed he has found something, and so he is going to be a Mountaineer.

Interesting. Was he recruited? :thumb:

He lives in Alcoa, has played Football, basketball and ran track at Alcoa for 4 years. Not sure where the "came to Alcoa to play basketball" came from. Maybe his intent was just to play basketball at Alcoa when he was a freshman?

So, yes he was recruited to play football at the school he was attending. :)

ALCOA, Tenn.--Imagine being cooped up in the office of a potential position coach of a bigtime Southeastern Conference school which is about 10 miles from your front door.

Now consider that Tennessee wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor brought along head coach Phillip Fulmer, offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe and defensive coordinator John Chavis to seal the deal.

You are in there for about two hours. You know about Tennessee. You know you could be one of the hometown kids playing before 100,000 Orange Bloods in Neyland Stadium on selected Knoxville fall Saturdays.

When you walk out, you are more sure than ever you want to be a West Virginia Mountaineer, in part because you started recruiting WVU when you were a sophomore in high school, and secondly because when you met with Rich Rodriguez, you got a one-on-one in the big man's office.

That and the fact that Butch Jones, the WVU wide receivers coach, had made you comfortable with your place in the class of 2007 and that at slot receiver you would have a chance to make an impact in the currently 4th-ranked program.

Finally, WVU chaplain Danny Buggs, an All-American wide receiver from the South, was the kind of guy "I could talk to" when he made an unofficial visit last summer. "He was open, he joked around. He was different. He wasn't fake," Lanxter said.

Though Tennessee put late pressure on the potential first-team All-State player from traditional 2A power Alcoa High, Lanxter remained firm on his commitment to the Mountaineers. Though UT hinted at a negative perception of WVU's supposedly weak schedule, and the jam-packed houses traditional in the Southeastern Conference, he said the Big Orange has since backed off.

Lanxter came to Alcoa at first to play basketball. The Rockets also have a traditionally strong hoop program and the 6-foot-2, 185 pounder has skills in the area, evidence of which is that he has played on the national Tennessee Breakers AAU squad for two years (he also has run a 21.9 200 meters in outdoor track).

But then head football coach Scott Porter, now Alcoa's principal, talked him into coming out for football. His decision to do so has paid off. He had caught 11 passes for 280 yards coming into last Friday night's game in the traditional power-I running attack where he is a stealth downfield blocker. He also plays corner and safety on defense, locking down on the other team's best receiver.

John Adams, who played at rival Maryville High, but has coached at Alcoa for a long time said, "I have known Kyrus since he got here and I am telling you, he is a diamond in the rough. West Virginia got an absolute steal here. We have another player (defensive end Rae Sykes) who is being recruited by everybody. But this youngster, Kyrus, is going to be something on the next level," the Alcoa assistant said.

Lanxter came to Morgantown with the Breakers for a summer AAU tournament two years ago and decided to go over to visit the football facilities because he was getting serious about playing football on the next level.

At the time, the WVU staff did not know he was coming. So when he came back with the Breakers this summer, assistant coach Jones had made sure to invite Lanxter over. There he met with Jones and head coach Rich Rodriguez. The offer was extended there.

Louisville had been considered the leader for the receiver, but after a summer camp experience there, he started leaning toward WVU. UT was a late suitor. But he is coming to WVU.

"Really, I talked it over with my little brother even before I talked to my parents," Lanxter said of his final decision on where he would commit. He had eight offers on the table, including another SEC school, Ole Miss.

"But I had told my little brother once that if he wanted to be a tuba player in the high school marching band then that's what he should do. Everybody's gotta find something," Kyrus said.

The younger brother told Lanxter that indeed he has found something, and so he is going to be a Mountaineer.

OS91...next time you copy an article to the t you need to either link it or give the proper author his or her due.

VG