Courtney Coffey

Bluewhirlygig

I wonder what Lewis had to say. From the stands, all he did was hug and congratulate both.

Would you rather he chew out a kid that had just walked off the mat after winning a state championship? Be realistic, these are high school adolescents. They don't always make the right decision, and most high school boys think they are the king of the world already, so winning a state championship could cause reactions that may seem less than humble to the average fan. There are lessons to be learned about humility throughout life, but they can't all be learned by the time you turn 18. You can blame some of that on testosterone, but don't blame it on the coach. It is a very rare occasion that a high school boy can maintain composure in front of thousands of fans cheering for him. It's no discredit to the accomplishment or the kid (keep in mind, there was no taunting or direct boasting). Seeing two wrestlers outwardly show full respect for one another after a state championship match, win or lose, is a standard that just can't be kept by most high school boys. If you saw the end of the Crosby-Pennington finals matches a few years ago, you would realize what I mean. In the end, you can use these situations to teach kids, but let's not go casting stones without examining the context.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you rather he chew out a kid that had just walked off the mat after winning a state championship? Be realistic, these are high school adolescents. They don't always make the right decision, and most high school boys think they are the king of the world already, so winning a state championship could cause reactions that may seem less than humble to the average fan. There are lessons to be learned about humility throughout life, but they can't all be learned by the time you turn 18. You can blame some of that on testosterone, but don't blame it on the coach. It is a very rare occasion that a high school boy can maintain composure in front of thousands of fans cheering for him. It's no discredit to the accomplishment or the kid (keep in mind, there was no taunting or direct boasting). Seeing two wrestlers outwardly show full respect for one another after a state championship match, win or lose, is a standard that just can't be kept by most high school boys. If you saw the end of the Crosby-Pennington finals matches a few years ago, you would realize what I mean. In the end, you can use these situations to teach kids, but let's not go casting stones without examining the context.

I should have known that I was being unrealistic to expect dignity and pride from adolescents.*#@! I never blamed coach Lewis, only said it looked like he hugged the kids and congratulated them. This would have been a great opportunity to teach a young man on the do's and dont's, certainly this can be done in Memphis as I have seen Coach Calipari do it at Memphis University. Really, it should not be Coach Lewis' responsibility to teach this. This is taught at home, however, he can have a profound influence on them and their actions. Raising your fist in the air to the crowd while collecting back points, or, turning your back on your opponent while the match is still going to flex your muscles is immarture and less than humble. Even after a side of ribs you could agree.

P.S. Not casting stones, only stating a fact. It was there for all to see. I wonder how Mr. Manley felt when this occured to his son? I would imagine not too good. Try to win with class. Elvis certainly did!

TCB

Edited by hoosierdad

Okay, now that I've been called out.... According to Brad - there was someone at the media table telling him to get Mr. Coffee off the mat. (Yes, I've told Brad that he only answers to the officials, not some person at the media table!) He laid his hand on Mr. Coffee's shoulder and he flinched, causing Brad to jump back. Mr Coffee did not strike out or say anything inappropriate. Come on if anyone else was that close when Mr. Coffee flinched like that, you would've jumped back too! However, Brad did tell me that he could hear what Mr. Coffee was saying to his son, as could the officials. The officials did not say a word to Brad about moving this man from the mat. Mr. Coffee loves his son and all his children. Courtney was heart broken and his Dad was saying all the right things to encourage him to get up and shake Mr. Lettner's hand. If you had seen them under the bleachers after the match or in the stands before or after you would know that Mr. & Mrs. Coffee are good folks and love their children.

As for the letter jacket - get over it! Courtney played football at JP2 this year and it was his jacket that his Dad wore. During Region 7 his Dad wore his football jersey. No one had an issue with it there! The guy is proud of his son regardless of where he played football or wrestled.

Now then, I want to say one more thing - Mr. Shane Turner - Brad respected you as a coach when you stood in his corner when traveling and he respects you so much more after being in the other corner. Thank you for being such a great role model to my son!

See ya on the flip side!

Ellie, was not trying to call you out, however, knew that you would know the inside scoop. Thanks for your post. However, I have a couple of comments. Why are you telling me to get over Mr. Coffee wearing the letter jacket from JPII? Did I strike a nerve? I only stated what I saw. Did not mean to get you upset. Try St. Joseph's Children medicine, it will make you feel better. Wow, I guess now I can get over whatever it was I was supposed to get over. Second, Mr. Coffee was over the ropes before his son buried his head in his hands. As soon as the horn sounded, he was over the ropes. This should not have been tolerated. No other parent went to their son's side to cover them. Security should have rushed the mat. As tough as they were about keeping the aisles cleared, they should have been just as tough in keeping the mats cleared. That episode went on for far too long. The ref should have taken control of the situation. This certainly did not happen at 119 lb finals when Adamson from Notre Dame lost. He handled it very well and I can assure you, he was just as disappointed not having won. He too is a 2x state champion.

Glad to see your son was not barked at. Your son did him a favor by coaching him and handling the situation through the season. He deserves a lot of credit. Now, calm down, take a deep breath, and we will see you at some of the upcoming tournaments in the next few weeks.

Thanks again.

Edited by hoosierdad

Not defending the action, just the kids. No doubt, it was less than humble and immature, but boys that age are not mature. I doubt Mr. Manley lost any sleep over it. I think he would be concerned about his son, first and foremost, not a fist pump. Just because what you are stating is a fact does not mean that it isn't casting stones. There are plenty of facts about mistakes I have made that I wouldn't want people discussing on a message board. Once again, not saying it was ok, just saying we should consider the circumstances before we start throwing around words.

PS--I'm more of a pulled pork sandwich guy. You can't beat the Commissary.

Ellie, was not trying to call you out, however, knew that you would know the inside scoop. Thanks for your post. However, I have a couple of comments. Why are you telling me to get over Mr. Coffee wearing the letter jacket from JPII? Did I strike a nerve? I only stated what I saw. Did not mean to get you upset. Try St. Joseph's Children medicine, it will make you feel better. Wow, I guess now I can get over whatever it was I was supposed to get over. Second, Mr. Coffee was over the ropes before his son buried his head in his hands. As soon as the horn sounded, he was over the ropes. This should not have been tolerated. No other parent went to their son's side to cover them. Security should have rushed the mat. As tough as they were about keeping the aisles cleared, they should have been just as tough in keeping the mats cleared. That episode went on for far too long. The ref should have taken control of the situation. This certainly did not happen at 119 lb finals when Adamson from Notre Dame lost. He handled it very well and I can assure you, he was just as disappointed not having won. He too is a 2x state champion.

Glad to see your son was not barked at. Your son did him a favor by coaching him and handling the situation through the season. He deserves a lot of credit. Now, calm down, take a deep breath, and we will see you at some of the upcoming tournaments in the next few weeks.

Thanks again.

LOL - I used the phrase 'calling me out' very loosely! You have no idea the things that have been said to me over this ordeal. I'm just glad the season is over and hopefully folks can move on and let it all rest.

I'm in no way upset with you! I was trying to answer a lot of the questions/comments that had been posted by several, not just you, when I replied. I do have Children's Aspirin, but I use it for my dog who suffers with arthritis in her hips! Thanks for the suggestion, but when I'm upset I need something a LOT stronger...

I was wanting those who were upset about what the Dad wore to get over it... You are correct you were not the one who brought that up.

As far as Mr Coffee going over the ropes - security was there and if the officials wanted them involved I'm sure they would have gotten involved. I understand there were no other parents that went on the mats. Yes, the ref should have taken control of the situation and the folks at the media table should have stayed out of it.

I'm calm, to bad I don't have any magaritas made tonight - I'd sure pass you one too! See ya mat side somewhere!

Security rushing a man consoling his son and dragging him off, you’re kidding me. I think the emotions the Coffee family dealt with this season were a little more than most. They had to deal with controversy and humiliation all in the public eye. This while trying to discipline a son that made a mistake. Other state champs did in my opinion worse and got caught. There wasn't controversy about them being able to wrestle because they were at public schools. I'm sure most of us on here have made mistakes of similar severity but didn't get caught. The emotions running during the finals can be extreme. Add in that the match pitted D1 against D2 and the controversy of eligibility. I don't think anyone has wrestled a finals with as much on his head and that is shared by the parents. People can behave erratically in extreme situations.

As far as the PJP coat. I think that could have been done without. Should he have been wearing a Centennial coat? Would you have patronage to a school you have only been at for a few months?

Security rushing a man consoling his son and dragging him off, you’re kidding me. I think the emotions the Coffee family dealt with this season were a little more than most. They had to deal with controversy and humiliation all in the public eye. This while trying to discipline a son that made a mistake. Other state champs did in my opinion worse and got caught. There wasn't controversy about them being able to wrestle because they were at public schools. I'm sure most of us on here have made mistakes of similar severity but didn't get caught. The emotions running during the finals can be extreme. Add in that the match pitted D1 against D2 and the controversy of eligibility. I don't think anyone has wrestled a finals with as much on his head and that is shared by the parents. People can behave erratically in extreme situations.

As far as the PJP coat. I think that could have been done without. Should he have been wearing a Centennial coat? Would you have patronage to a school you have only been at for a few months?

Good point about the added presure. I will give them that. However, I heard a former State Champ turn to his Dad during that action and said " I would have died, if you ever did that to me". I've been on the losing side of a State Championship match and wanted to go out there but wasn't dealing with the things the Coffey Family did this year.

However, if Courtney was not hurt his Dad should have stayed off the mat. Some times we have to step back and let our young men make the next step to manhood. Always coming to their rescue isn't the answer IMHO.

BTW- I enjoyed watching Courtney this year and took my share of bashing for giving him his due on the mat. He is a joy to speak with and it does seam that folks either like him or they don't. I like him but wished he would have ended the last match differently.

Good luck to him and his family.

BTW does the younger one wrestle?

Edited by rigger101

All I can say is I`m glad the "Coffey Family" soap opera has finally come to an end on the high school level......They need to take their "borrowed cell phones", PJPII Jackets and Williamson County schools "Special transfer papers" and go home! Good Riddance! I think I would rather hear one more thing about Anna Nicole Smith or Britney than the "Coffey" Family.

All I can say is I`m glad the "Coffey Family" soap opera has finally come to an end on the high school level......They need to take their "borrowed cell phones", PJPII Jackets and Williamson County schools "Special transfer papers" and go home! Good Riddance! I think I would rather hear one more thing about Anna Nicole Smith or Britney than the "Coffey" Family.

It is a shame that you feel that way.

hey rigger how do you feel now that lettner has whipped coffee. have you taken those pictures of him off your nightstand of him lifting the guys at the h-ville tourney. after all the things you have said about lettner on here you had better hope that you never personally meet him b/c im willing to bet that he doesnt like you very much.

hey rigger how do you feel now that lettner has whipped coffee. have you taken those pictures of him off your nightstand of him lifting the guys at the h-ville tourney. after all the things you have said about lettner on here you had better hope that you never personally meet him b/c im willing to bet that he doesnt like you very much.

Matthew Letner will tear it up next year, as he moves on to bigger and better things at UTC. He will certainly become a major power house in college. Congratulations Mr. Lettner.