OCCHS FOOTBALL 2006

As the final horn sounded last night at the game in Dyersburg, the OC Rebel football team still didn't know their playoff fate...They were of course hoping for the 5-3 Ripley Tigers to come through and beat a 2-6 Haywood Co team to set up a win-or-go-home game next week at Tiny Knee Stadium in Ripley....On the way home,in the bus,they found out the bad news....Haywood Co had defeated Ripley 28-21 and ended any hope of the Rebels a shot to participate in the 3A state playoffs....Although not making the playoffs is a bitter pill to swallow,these young men can't be regarded as failures....They have accomplished some very good things in their four years at OCCHS......They are only the second group of Obion Central seniors to go four years without a loss to Union City....At OC that is a big deal..For years Union City dominated this series...Central has only been playing football since 1961,but they have only beaten UC 10 times...These seniors own 4 of them....They have a 2-2 record against Covington...The Chargers have dominated this region for years.In the last 45 or so games,Covington has only lost four region games....OC owns two of them....This Rebel team played in the toughest region in the state of Tennessee...They were competitive and they played people tough..I think OC has played 15 games the last two years that was decided by 7 points or less.....These Rebel seniors still have something to play for other than pride next Friday night in Ripley....A winning season...Since 1961,the OC football program has enjoyed only 9 winning football season....These Rebels could make it 10 and own two of them....You guys need to go out in practice next week and bust your butts....You only have one week,three days in pads, in your high school football careers....You only have 48 minutes left to play high school football....Cherish that time,don't cheat yourselves and not give everything you have....If you do,you will regret it the rest of your lives...You guys can go out with a 6-4 record...There won't be many teams not make the playoffs with a winning record..But there are only seven teams that play in this rugged region 7-3A,in my opinion the strongest region,top-to-bottom in the state...There are going to be five of the seven schools with either a winning record or at least a .500 record...I don't believe any region in the state can boast that....

I want to mention the 15 seniors names and personally thank you.....Adam Battles,Savion Hayslett,Robert White,Orion Fox,Bryan Fox,Garrett Grady,Cameron Bailey,Zach Clouse,Mark Grooms,Matt Craddock,Justin Young,Jimmy Crackel,Nathan Brown,Jacob Fulbright and my son Steven Weaks....Thank you guys for sticking it out for four years....I'm sure at times you wondered what you were doing out there in 105 degree heat practicing two times a day...I'm sure you wondered what you were doing lifting weights in the summer at 7 am in the morning..This experience will pay off in the real world...You guys didn't quit when the going got tough..You battled every step of the way and I for one am very proud of you....Take this week and impress on the younger players the importance of them working hard and sticking it out..Go out winners on the scoreboard Friday night,although to me and the rest of your parents,you are already winners......

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the final horn sounded last night at the game in Dyersburg, the OC Rebel football team still didn't know their playoff fate...They were of course hoping for the 5-3 Ripley Tigers to come through and beat a 2-6 Haywood Co team to set up a win-or-go-home game next week at Tiny Knee Stadium in Ripley....On the way home,in the bus,they found out the bad news....Haywood Co had defeated Ripley 28-21 and ended any hope of the Rebels a shot to participate in the 3A state playoffs....Although not making the playoffs is a bitter pill to swallow,these young men can't be regarded as failures....They have accomplished some very good things in their four years at OCCHS......They are only the second group of Obion Central seniors to go four years without a loss to Union City....At OC that is a big deal..For years Union City dominated this series...Central has only been playing football since 1961,but they have only beaten UC 10 times...These seniors own 4 of them....They have a 2-2 record against Covington...The Chargers have dominated this region for years.In the last 45 or so games,Covington has only lost four region games....OC owns two of them....This Rebel team played in the toughest region in the state of Tennessee...They were competitive and they played people tough..I think OC has played 15 games the last two years that was decided by 7 points or less.....These Rebel seniors still have something to play for other than pride next Friday night in Ripley....A winning season...Since 1961,the OC football program has enjoyed only 9 winning football season....These Rebels could make it 10 and own two of them....You guys need to go out in practice next week and bust your butts....You only have one week,three days in pads, in your high school football careers....You only have 48 minutes left to play high school football....Cherish that time,don't cheat yourselves and not give everything you have....If you do,you will regret it the rest of your lives...You guys can go out with a 6-4 record...There won't be many teams not make the playoffs with a winning record..But there are only seven teams that play in this rugged region 7-3A,in my opinion the strongest region,top-to-bottom in the state...There are going to be five of the seven schools with either a winning record or at least a .500 record...I don't believe any region in the state can boast that....

I want to mention the 15 seniors names and personally thank you.....Adam Battles,Savion Hayslett,Robert White,Orion Fox,Bryan Fox,Garrett Grady,Cameron Bailey,Zach Clouse,Mark Grooms,Matt Craddock,Justin Young,Jimmy Crackel,Nathan Brown,Jacob Fulbright and my son Steven Weaks....Thank you guys for sticking it out for four years....I'm sure at times you wondered what you were doing out there in 105 degree heat practicing two times a day...I'm sure you wondered what you were doing lifting weights in the summer at 7 am in the morning..This experience will pay off in the real world...You guys didn't quit when the going got tough..You battled every step of the way and I for one am very proud of you....Take this week and impress on the younger players the importance of them working hard and sticking it out..Go out winners on the scoreboard Friday night,although to me and the rest of your parents,you are already winners......

Good words, good words. Lots of parents and fans around the state should echo them. Something like high school football, which can, alternately, seem so long and then suddenly so short, awakens many young men to realities in life.

I remember in the first round of last years' playoff, when Dyersburg was shockingly upset and eliminated by Sheffield, the players, including our seniors, sat on the field in disbelief, some for over an hour, their undefeated season, number one ranking, and their high school careers all ended on a deflected pass. Just days earlier, they had dreaded practice and complained about the drills. Now and for the rest of their lives, they would give anything--anything --for one more week of practice, more grass drills, more coaches yelling at them. A year from that night, our former seniors still talk about it as it were the day before.. High school football is a special time. It WILL slip away; it is as passing thing. Just cherish it. Bitter as it is, I will always remember a few of our seniors, still sitting in the darkness of the field as the lights were being turned out, a lot sadder and a lot wiser than they had been an hour earlier.

Edited by Augielio

Good words, good words. Lots of parents and fans around the state should echo them. Something like high school football, which can, alternately, seem so long and then suddenly so short, awakens many young men to realities in life.

I remember in the first round of last years' playoff, when Dyersburg was shockingly upset and eliminated by Sheffield, the players, including our seniors, sat on the field in disbelief, some for over an hour, their undefeated season, number one ranking, and their high school careers all ended on a deflected pass. Just days earlier, they had dreaded practice and complained about the drills. Now and for the rest of their lives, they would give anything--anything --for one more week of practice, more grass drills, more coaches yelling at them. A year from that night, our former seniors still talk about it as it were the day before.. High school football is a special time. It WILL slip away; it is as passing thing. Just cherish it. Bitter as it is, I will always remember a few of our seniors, still sitting in the darkness of the field as the lights were being turned out, a lot sadder and a lot wiser than they had been an hour earlier.

I wanna be ya'll when I grow up.

GREAT POST :D:D:thumb::D:thumb:

It seems like yesterday we were in Union City for that first freshman game. My brother said it was the beginning of the end. He was right. Next week will be the end of football for these seniors. A special thanks to all the seniors for there hard work and dedication for four years. And a special thanks to my nephew, #4 Matt Craddock. Thanks for all the memories bud! You've been a good one!

Edited by rebfan65

backintha, and rebfan, you both said it very well. This group of seniors was and is a special group. It is easy to see how close knit this bunch has become over the years. And while I along with many others wish they had more football to play, looking back, they have performed with CLASS, and have still come out of their high school careers as WINNERS. Each one, and as a group are a credit to their parents, their coaches, school, and most of all to themselves. They have won and lost with class. And their efforts on the field will continue to show in their lives well past high school. I was fortunate enough to get to coach some of these guys in youth league sports, and coach against many of the others, and even back then, you could tell this group had something to them. It hurts now for it to end as it did, but in years to come, they will have many great memories of their football days at OC. And I still say this group of seniors have taken another step toward what Coach Bowling, his staff and all of us who love and support REBEL football want this program to be. I fully expect the REBS to hit the field Friday night and play hard, and when its over, win or lose, they will have left it ALL on the field, as they always have. And I think that says more about these young men than any of us can ever say.

God bless you guys, and thanks for four GREAT years at OC

as always................

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by VOREBS