A/AA Brackets

chasanooga

I know it is luck of the draw on how the teams are matched up against each other, but this year these 2 regions are loaded with top ranked teams. These are the rankings per Eurosportscoreboard.com on the A/AA rankings as of Oct 22

Region 3

Sweetwater #8 hosts CCS #4

Notre Dame #1 hosts Grace # 7

Region 5

FRA # 2 hosts Clarksville Academy

Fairview hosts #10 DCA

While I realize setting up playoffs /bracketing based on seeding or rankings is tough some very good teams will not advance because they are in a very competitive region. With 6 of the states top 10 teams coming out of these 2 regions I think that some of these teams that will go into the losers brackets will have a chance to make some noise in some other regions.

What are other people's thoughts on seeding or just letting the chips fall where they may?

Edited by chasanooga

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it is luck of the draw on how the teams are matched up against each other, but this year these 2 regions are loaded with top ranked teams. These are the rankings per Eurosportscoreboard.com on the A/AA rankings as of Oct 22

Region 3

Sweetwater #8 hosts CCS #4

Notre Dame #1 hosts Grace # 7

Region 5

FRA # 2 hosts Clarksville Academy

Fairview hosts #10 DCA

While I realize setting up playoffs /bracketing based on seeding or rankings is tough some very good teams will not advance because they are in a very competitive region. With 6 of the states top 10 teams coming out of these 2 regions I think that some of these teams that will go into the losers brackets will have a chance to make some noise in some other regions.

What are other people's thoughts on seeding or just letting the chips fall where they may?

Keep in mind you are referencing rankings that may or may not have a lot of merit. All season the posts on this board are that the rankings don't really matter when it comes to the tournament. They also shouldn't matter when establishing brackets as there is not any one person that attends more than a very small minority of the games across the state. Some teams play lesser schedules and get higher rankings...others play tougher schedules and don't get ranked. The current setup also gives some teams outside the major metropolitan areas a chance to compete. Just my opinion and another way of looking at it!

I know it is luck of the draw on how the teams are matched up against each other, but this year these 2 regions are loaded with top ranked teams..........a chance to make some noise in some other regions.

My opinion so I'm sure it will upset some folks......but...in the A/AA brackets....

I do not know exactly how this gets set up, but a quick glance at the brackets makes it look like the TSSAA has guaranteed themselves an opportunity to get a public school into the finals (that helps keep R Cater from getting too many phone calls!).....(and this is where some folks are going to get testy!...but hey its an opinion..everyone has one!) where I am confident they will get spanked by one of 3 or 4 private schools......my guess is the real contest is going to be in the quarters or the semis.....a combination of seeding and draw would make sense...at least to me.....the right side of the brackets has to be giddy with glee! :thumb:

Edited by flashgordon

My opinion so I'm sure it will upset some folks......but...in the A/AA brackets....

I do not know exactly how this gets set up, but a quick glance at the brackets makes it look like the TSSAA has guaranteed themselves an opportunity to get a public school into the finals (that helps keep R Cater from getting too many phone calls!).....(and this is where some folks are going to get testy!...but hey its an opinion..everyone has one!) where I am confident they will get spanked by one of 3 or 4 private schools......my guess is the real contest is going to be in the quarters or the semis.....a combination of seeding and draw would make sense...at least to me.....the right side of the brackets has to be giddy with glee! :thumb:

...and another rose petal fell.

Keep in mind you are referencing rankings that may or may not have a lot of merit. All season the posts on this board are that the rankings don't really matter when it comes to the tournament. They also shouldn't matter when establishing brackets as there is not any one person that attends more than a very small minority of the games across the state. Some teams play lesser schedules and get higher rankings...others play tougher schedules and don't get ranked. The current setup also gives some teams outside the major metropolitan areas a chance to compete. Just my opinion and another way of looking at it!

The thing is the teams in most of the rural counties cant compete with the metropolitan teams and they get to go further because they have no competition. Its really not fair at all. Then you have districts and regions in the metropolitan areas that have such strong teams that are put out before the regions. It really is a shame. There should be another way to do it.

And talking about the public verses the private. Public should play public and private should play private and then there wouldnt be any problems.

The thing is the teams in most of the rural counties cant compete with the metropolitan teams and they get to go further because they have no competition. Its really not fair at all. Then you have districts and regions in the metropolitan areas that have such strong teams that are put out before the regions. It really is a shame. There should be another way to do it.

And talking about the public verses the private. Public should play public and private should play private and then there wouldnt be any problems.

Let's not start a public vs. private debate, or we will have to move it to the "Public Private debate forum.

You are right, though Basehits. Rural schools have a hard time. This is why those schools should be fighting the 50% rule will all their hearts!

Let's not start a public vs. private debate, or we will have to move it to the "Public Private debate forum.

You are right, though Basehits. Rural schools have a hard time. This is why those schools should be fighting the 50% rule will all their hearts!

What does that mean?? 50% rule with all their hearts??

There is a post which refers to "50%" rule.

My thought is on how the tournament is set up. I have a friend who coaches in north carolina where you must play yourself into the tournament by your performance in the regular season. District Champs and Runner-ups get in if I understand it correctly. Than they fill the bracket with teams with the strongest ranking found by a system much like the BCS is set up. So the strong teams who play a though schedule and don't have a pretty record may still get in. I think the idea is to allow very tough districts/regions to bring in more teams that are deserving even if they have lost. But, they do not have district tournaments and most play everyone in their district twice. They have a 25 game schedule limit, while we have a 15 game limit. This makes their system possible, but won't work with ours, and next year I understand we will only be allowed 14 games in the regular season. If I misunderstood the rule in NC, I apologize, but I wanted to throw this info out there.

My thought is on how the tournament is set up. I have a friend who coaches in north carolina where you must play yourself into the tournament by your performance in the regular season. District Champs and Runner-ups get in if I understand it correctly. Than they fill the bracket with teams with the strongest ranking found by a system much like the BCS is set up. So the strong teams who play a though schedule and don't have a pretty record may still get in. I think the idea is to allow very tough districts/regions to bring in more teams that are deserving even if they have lost. But, they do not have district tournaments and most play everyone in their district twice. They have a 25 game schedule limit, while we have a 15 game limit. This makes their system possible, but won't work with ours, and next year I understand we will only be allowed 14 games in the regular season. If I misunderstood the rule in NC, I apologize, but I wanted to throw this info out there.

That sounds like a great system, wish we used it here.

North Carolina is much more creative than Tennesse when it comes down to soccer. I love NC soccer.

Do you know if they seperate them into regions for this tournament? Travel would become an issue if they don't. I would hate to be a Johnson City team driving to Memphis for a first round game on Tuesday night and then have to drive to Nashville on Thursday night only to be knocked out by my cross town rivals the following week.

When it comes to tournament play you have to win the games and at some point beat the best to win it all. It also seems more sweet to knock your cross town rivals out of it completely during districts or regionals.

In the system we have now the cream still rises to the top and Cinderella doesn't have to dance to long to still be a fairy tale.

You said that the rural schools have a hard time...

The 50% rule would not allow rural schools to form club teams (since rural would have to have the teams mostly filled from the same school) which would prevent those teams from working in the off season together.

It was not meant to be an insult (if you took it that way) but to help show why we are fighting that proposal. (See the pinned topic on the TSSAA proposal)

I don't think that there is an easy way to do the brackets. I mean, look at how much we argue and fight over the rankings (either mjuhbs or eurosport) now when they don't even really mean anything. Imagine if they held playoff contentions!