If we were in Connecticut - our coach almost got suspended

davidlimbaugh

They could NOT play two hand touch either as some schools up north have also forbidden 'TAG' to be played also. I figure they would stroke out if they had seen a bunch of us kids in grade school playing 'Army' and shooting each other with our deadly fingers.

We REALLY need a 'barfing smilie' as that would be the most appropriate about it.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could NOT play two hand touch either as some schools up north have also forbidden 'TAG' to be played also. I figure they would stroke out if they had seen a bunch of us kids in grade school playing 'Army' and shooting each other with our deadly fingers.

We REALLY need a 'barfing smilie' as that would be the most appropriate about it.

It makes more sense to me to just avoid scheduling a team that you are 50+ points better than. I seriously doubt that if Riverdale and Smyrna played ten times this year RHS would win by 49 every time.

But rules like that tend to pop up (as stupid as they are) when some school like Riverdale schedules a team like CPA year after year after year. If things like that don't happen then there won't be an outcry.

And yes, I'm aware of why CPA played Riverdale, so don't get that started- it was jsut an example.

I know what I am getting in to by responding to this...I don't like the rule, I am a Connecticut native who played 20 years ago. A few points though...1) Their is no region large school-small school division. League play is the historic set up. In Fairfield County (yes the wealthiest in the US) the 30-40 football playing high schools, regardless of state classification (# of boys in the school) are often in the same league. Greenwich High (Steve young alma mater) with over 1,100 boys is in the same league as inner city Bassick High of Bridgeport that due to busing, drop out rates may have 350-450 boys. This example is not an isolated incident either. 2) Huge difference with funding of programs. Towns have paid for field turf (think MBA's) for their high schools. Imagine the weight room & facilities of these schools compared to many urban schools that play afternoon games on a shared field. 3) Within the past 5-10 years, a few head coaches must have went to the same clinic and have opened up their offenses & tried to better their rivals by putting up huge numbers for the 1st 3 quarters, then justify "calling off the dogs" by having subs play when the score is 40 to 50+ at the end of three. No room for egos in coaching in any state.

Its been a tough year for my Red Devils but every year something stands out that grabs my attention this year it has been two coaches. Coach Cummins (West) & Coach Quarles (Maryville). They both could have left there regulars in and could have easily scored 80+ points against us we just had no answer. They knew our team was young; competitive but young and many had to play both ways. It gave their JV's third teamers much needed work for the upcoming campaigns. It also helped our boys stick to the gameplan and play against comparible talent and try to execute for the future knowing their day may be around the corner.

I don't believe in the Connecticut rule to mandate what you should do. But I sure respect and give credit were it is due. Both those programs will be successful because of their foundation and that seems lost in High School athletics today.

Edited by ZCAR

They play football up in Con.? Ha

Steve Young, Bill Romanowski, Calvin Hill, Tebucky Jones, Dwight Freeney, Mike Rozier...my high school alone has 2 with Super Bowl rings. (Ed Bradley 3 with the Steelers in the 70's & Nick Giaquinto with the Skins in '82 or '83 w/Riggins) There are others like Lions backup QB Dan Orlovsky & former patriot & current Brown O-lineman Joe Andruzzi. Not too bad from a small state with only 180 or so high schools.