Best Coaches?

takedown42

OK! Now that we have embarked on some legendary coaches such as the "General" Luke Worsham in some other post, can we come up with a list of great coaches and tell why they should be considered for such a list. This should be fun since we have some of the older wrestlers on this forum who don't mind straigten out the younger generation.

I will start off with one such coach by the name of Doug Newman. He molded some great kids, and made takedown machines out of most of them. I recall that some of his teams at Hunters Lane still hold national takedown records. I think he still contributes to the sport even though he is officially retired.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think coach Dan Dugger is/was a Great wrestling coach, He started the Karns program from nothing, and took very disadvantaged kids in a school not known for winning anything and turned them into winners. Frank Bryant was a state champion for him, and he took teams to the state duals, unfortunately his best team did not get to go the state duals dur to snow, He is a class act, I credit him and David Meske of Webb for being the biggest influence on me and Catholic's wrestling program. But bottom line Dan Dugger took kids from a school with no wresstling tradition and won. He did this with very little support from Karns high school and other coaches at Karns. He is a great coach because he gave kids opportunities to compete and win

Thanks Coach for all you have done

Don Beardsley

Gordon Connell and Jeff Jordan are proven instructors (and very tough mat coaches) who were able to win state championships at more than one school.

Jim Morgan

Steve Henry

Steve Logsdon / Turner Jackson

Walt Holmes

Al Miller

Ralph Gabriel / Greg Wingo

Tony Bradley

G.P. / Joe Blair

Danny Gilbert

Brian Dunning

[Edited by dblXface on 4/30/02 8:06A]

Guest bhsrocs

Schaak was recognized last year as the outstanding assistant wrestling coach in the nation. His one and only year as head coach was at Notre Dame in 1970 where he led the Irish to the state championship. ND also won the State in 1968 when Schaak was head coach in all but name. Schaak was one of Maj. Worham's boys.

He's also one heck of a drama and English Lit teacher.

What active coach has won the most state championships both with the split and before the split? The good coaches won before the split!!!!

And what is the deal with Shack and the little red costume? Guy's we all know that Baylor has a good program and Shack is a good coach but help him with the wardrobe. It makes him look less than masculine!!

[Edited by cbg on 5/2/02 7:51A]

I personally would like to submit my two cents. Ralph Gabriel at Overton has had a great impact on my life (more than he'll ever know). His undying thirst to help young people shows through year after year. He may actually be at the root of my decision to be a teacher after college, and his instruction and advice has proven to help on many occasions. He's a person who chooses to let his actions speak for themselves, and that is why he'll never have to say he cares, since every Overton wrestler knows he does. Yet when he does speak, he doesn't care what people think, and I have the utmost respect for that.

Other coaches, while I wasn't privileged enough to have more years under them were Coach Taylor, Fiscus, and several others who have been good to me.