Rugby style punt

Solomon

Has this new style of punting becomeing popular in college (that I loathe) crept into any high school special teams' playbook yet?

Yeah, it's a boring Thursday night. :thumb:

Turn it to ESPN and watch two of the best offenses go at it. That should fix your boredom!! I saw some of the rugby style kicked use a little last year.

Edited by sportsfan23

Turn it to ESPN and watch two of the best offenses go at it. That should fix your boredom!! I saw some of the rugby style kicked use a little last year. I think a punter watched a rugby game, got bored one day in practice, punted it rugby style, the coach liked it, and then it was born.

The question is, when does the punter running to the side cease to be a punter and become a runner. Meaning that if you hit him after the punt it would not be a penalty because he would have been a runner who decided to try and punt it.

That is the only reason that i hate rugby punts.

I have used if for years at northwest, and let me tell you it is great. Less returns than the normal punt, and great field position. Plus you can fake very well out of it if the time is right. Watch the backside, the flood to the playside, and a screen does not hurt to establish when they overload the playside. The vikings have averaged 30+ YARDS a kick the past 3 years, and 7 successful fakes. Compared to the 4 that were unsuccessful. Not bad stats. Gives the team opportunities to get down field. Good for spot position punting too. Really like it and see more teams headed to this kicking style.