The State of Coaching in Metro!

Big Country

There were many of us who got on here last year and early into this year and questioned some of the coaching and hiring decisions in the Metro/Nashville area as it related to football coaches. Let's just say that we thought it had gotten well below the "good 'ole days" when guys like Jerry Pigue, Richard Coure, Maurice Fitzgerald, & Ron Aydelott (just to name a select few) were roaming the sidelines.

Anyone who really insulted some of the head coaching across the area has to really feel somewhat ignorant right now despite the fact that YES WE'RE ALL ENTITLED TO STATE OUR OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS!!!!

The biggest two names on the list that moved on at the end of last year had to be Maurice Fitzgerald (Pearl-Cohn) & Ron Aydelott (Hillsboro). There are three state championships in the trophy cases at those schools from those two head coaches' tenures. When they left long drawn out processes to name head football coaches began at those two schools and in the end two relatively unknowns were the names that were hired to try to fill some big shoes. At Hillsboro gone was Ron Aydelott's Wing-T attack and in was Scott Blade (from California) and his spread offensive attack. At Pearl-Cohn gone was Maurice Fitzgerald's power rushing attack and in is Tony Brunetti's more balanced attack.

How have those two hirings worked through the first year??????????

Both coaches teams are still alive and will be playing in the state semifinals of the postseason this Thanksgiving Weekend and both can still say that their goal of winning a state title in year number one is a huge possibility. Hillsboro travels to Paris this week to play a red hot Henry Co. bunch while Pearl-Cohn will remain home in Nashville this week to host Knoxville Fulton.

It's not just those two guys either though folks. Richard Campbell's Hunters Lane Warriors & Mike Woodard's, another first year head coach in the area, Antioch Bears both made solid runs in 5A this year before falling to last year's state champions (a Ravenwood team that could be looking to go back-to-back this year). Last year Anthony Law took over for Richard Coure at Whites Creek and led that program all the way to the state quarterfinals. This year the Cobras missed on a tiebreaker scenario but don't look for that playoff absence to last very long. Jason Smith's Stratford team was the one team that benefited from that tiebreaker scenario and he led the Spartans to the posteason in his second year there. Did I mention that they were working on very limited funding this year due to a former coaches' breaking of the rules two and three years ago. The results on the field didn't show it for one first year head coach but Bobby Baskin is going to do a good job at turning around what was a bad Hillwood team when he arrived. It could be sooner than most folks think also. Finally there are the ones who continued to do a good job this year like Terry Anderson (Overton), Ralph Thompson (Maplewood), & Arcente Broom (McGavock).

THE TOPIC IS TO RATE THE COACHING IN ALL OF THE METRO/NASHVILLE AREA AS IT STANDS TODAY!!!! OPINIONS?????????????????????????

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were many of us who got on here last year and early into this year and questioned some of the coaching and hiring decisions in the Metro/Nashville area as it related to football coaches. Let's just say that we thought it had gotten well below the "good 'ole days" when guys like Jerry Pigue, Richard Coure, Maurice Fitzgerald, & Ron Aydelott (just to name a select few) were roaming the sidelines.

Anyone who really insulted some of the head coaching across the area has to really feel somewhat ignorant right now despite the fact that YES WE'RE ALL ENTITLED TO STATE OUR OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS!!!!

The biggest two names on the list that moved on at the end of last year had to be Maurice Fitzgerald (Pearl-Cohn) & Ron Aydelott (Hillsboro). There are three state championships in the trophy cases at those schools from those two head coaches' tenures. When they left long drawn out processes to name head football coaches began at those two schools and in the end two relatively unknowns were the names that were hired to try to fill some big shoes. At Hillsboro gone was Ron Aydelott's Wing-T attack and in was Scott Blade (from California) and his spread offensive attack. At Pearl-Cohn gone was Maurice Fitzgerald's power rushing attack and in is Tony Brunetti's more balanced attack.

How have those two hirings worked through the first year??????????

Both coaches teams are still alive and will be playing in the state semifinals of the postseason this Thanksgiving Weekend and both can still say that their goal of winning a state title in year number one is a huge possibility. Hillsboro travels to Paris this week to play a red hot Henry Co. bunch while Pearl-Cohn will remain home in Nashville this week to host Knoxville Fulton.

It's not just those two guys either though folks. Richard Campbell's Hunters Lane Warriors & Mike Woodard's, another first year head coach in the area, Antioch Bears both made solid runs in 5A this year before falling to last year's state champions (a Ravenwood team that could be looking to go back-to-back this year). Last year Anthony Law took over for Richard Coure at Whites Creek and led that program all the way to the state quarterfinals. This year the Cobras missed on a tiebreaker scenario but don't look for that playoff absence to last very long. Jason Smith's Stratford team was the one team that benefited from that tiebreaker scenario and he led the Spartans to the posteason in his second year there. Did I mention that they were working on very limited funding this year due to a former coaches' breaking of the rules two and three years ago. The results on the field didn't show it for one first year head coach but Bobby Baskin is going to do a good job at turning around what was a bad Hillwood team when he arrived. It could be sooner than most folks think also. Finally there are the ones who continued to do a good job this year like Terry Anderson (Overton), Ralph Thompson (Maplewood), & Arcente Broom (McGavock).

THE TOPIC IS TO RATE THE COACHING IN ALL OF THE METRO/NASHVILLE AREA AS IT STANDS TODAY!!!! OPINIONS?????????????????????????

Great Post!!! I think the state of metro's football coaches is as good as it could be. We'll start with Hillsboro and Blade. Dont know much about the guy but the burros have not lost a step. I think they get beat this week but thats a different thread. Brunetti has also taken PC and ran with it not losing a beat. Both should be proud of the job that they have done. Richard Campbell is a great coach and has a great staff. Look for them to be strong again next year. I'm still not sold on Law but he has done well so far, same with Jason Smith. I think that next year will be the deciding factor for me. Bobby Baskins is a very good offensive coach, he is just in a bad situation. Good Luck Bobby. I am also still not sold on Broom or Thompson. Take away their athletes and are they really any good? Who knows but their players make them look good at what they do and they win ball games. Finally, Terry Anderson and Mike Woodward. Two coaches that I have the utmost respect for. I know Anderson very well and I can honestly say that the man has taught me everything I know about the game. I stive everyday to be the kind of coach that he is. I was honored and fortunate enough to get to know Mike Woodward this season. He has a lot of knowledge and his work ethic is great. His staff that he has put together is as solid as any around the midstate. I have also learned a lot from him and his staff. He has made great strides this year in getting that program where it needs to be. Look out for the bears next year. All in all I think metro should be proud of the way their football teams are being coached and the results started to show that this year. I cant wait to next season.

Tell me about Pigue. What is his coaching background and how successful was he?

Coach Pigue started the football program at Hunters Lane and still helps us now. He is around a lot, helps our coaches from the pressbox, and all of us respect him. He coached three of our coaches when they were in high school at Stratford-Coach Campbell, Coach Spears, and our defensive coordinator Coach Moreno. They tell us about the type of football program HL has had and will remain. They make sure we know the history of our school and what it means to be a Warrior. Coach Pigue has won more games than any football coach ever in metro.

Coach Pigue started the football program at Hunters Lane and still helps us now. He is around a lot, helps our coaches from the pressbox, and all of us respect him. He coached three of our coaches when they were in high school at Stratford-Coach Campbell, Coach Spears, and our defensive coordinator Coach Moreno. They tell us about the type of football program HL has had and will remain. They make sure we know the history of our school and what it means to be a Warrior. Coach Pigue has won more games than any football coach ever in metro.

Are you sure he has more wins than any football coach in metro? Anderson has to be up there. I know he has more wins than any other active coach.