A Different Solution

itzme

I lived in San Diego and followed HS football there. Very unusual. My memory is that the CIF Southern sectional teams only played each other. I watched Reggie Bush playing for Helix HS defeat Oceanside HS for the sectional title. It was sort of like the Super 7 in that there were a relatively small number of teams in the division, and they had all already played each other prior to the play-offs (Oceanside and Helix were playing a second time). The title games were on a Tuesday afternoon at Qualcomm. The local media gave them no attention at all. The only reason I knew about it (and I was following HS at least half-heartedly) was a guy I worked with had a son at Oceanside and was leaving work early for the game, so I went with him.

So the game ended, and that was it. No additional games against anyone else from around the state. Sounds like this idea is an effort to fix that.

I also remember that Concord De La Salle played at Long Beach Poly I think in 2002. Both of these teams were ranked in the top 5 in the nation at the time. Both had long, long winning streaks....and yet neither had ever played each other. It was the equivalent, imo, of finally getting a BA-Maryville type game.

Also, private schools in the SD area were a complete non-factor, if I recall correctly. I remember The Bishop School in La Jolla...St. Augustine maybe. But any serious HS football was played by public schools. In LA it's different with Mater Dei, Loyola, etc.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in San Diego and followed HS football there. Very unusual. My memory is that the CIF Southern sectional teams only played each other. I watched Reggie Bush playing for Helix HS defeat Oceanside HS for the sectional title. It was sort of like the Super 7 in that there were a relatively small number of teams in the division, and they had all already played each other prior to the play-offs (Oceanside and Helix were playing a second time). The title games were on a Tuesday afternoon at Qualcomm. The local media gave them no attention at all. The only reason I knew about it (and I was following HS at least half-heartedly) was a guy I worked with had a son at Oceanside and was leaving work early for the game, so I went with him.

So the game ended, and that was it. No additional games against anyone else from around the state. Sounds like this idea is an effort to fix that.

I also remember that Concord De La Salle played at Long Beach Poly I think in 2002. Both of these teams were ranked in the top 5 in the nation at the time. Both had long, long winning streaks....and yet neither had ever played each other. It was the equivalent, imo, of finally getting a BA-Maryville type game.

Also, private schools in the SD area were a complete non-factor, if I recall correctly. I remember The Bishop School in La Jolla...St. Augustine maybe. But any serious HS football was played by public schools. In LA it's different with Mater Dei, Loyola, etc.

I grew up in CA, and played my high school sports there. Private schools have always been tough in Orange County and LA. The big Catholic schools were always the best in football especially, but the publics were very competitive. Winning CIF Southern Section was a HUGE deal.

I went to a public high school, and we played against the private schools a lot, in every sport. We never thought it was a big deal, or about any "advantages" they had. They were good, so we were excited to play them, even though we usually lost.

I think the state championship games were implemented this year primarily for the $$, and also to give more exposure to some of the better teams.

Edited by itzme