Community v/s Eagleville

Unionvegas

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refuge I totally disagree. The team is doing fine. What difference does it make who starts? Each kid that normally plays got to play. If the team implodes it will be because parents are forming a group to try and get the coach. This means these kids go home and hear thier parents bash the coach and then go and try to play for him. Just imagine what is going through the kids mind. Coach has been there close to 20 years and he is going to put the best 5 on the floor regardless of who they are and for that I salute him.

Refuge I totally disagree. The team is doing fine. What difference does it make who starts? Each kid that normally plays got to play. If the team implodes it will be because parents are forming a group to try and get the coach. This means these kids go home and hear thier parents bash the coach and then go and try to play for him. Just imagine what is going through the kids mind. Coach has been there close to 20 years and he is going to put the best 5 on the floor regardless of who they are and for that I salute him.

Twenty years with a school does not qualify someone as a good coach, only a popular coach. Small communities are typically more tolerant of an underachieving team if the Coach is good with the kids and a good educator to boot. I think Edmonson fits these criteria. An un-objective person can not honestly call him a good Coach though. He inherited some good teams when he first arrived consisting of kids like Troy Yoes, Troy Harrison, Bob Mitchell to name a few. Since the sub-state run with Yoes, they haven't had another team that could compete. You have to ask yourself, has Unionville had a 15 year drought on talent or is he just a bad Coach? I'll let you be the judge of that. I think Edmonson has survived all these years because of his popularity. Now that partiality in the form of his son was introduced this season, people aren't going to tolerate his less than successful Coaching.

Basically you have to be one of two Coaches to survive in High School. One is a popular, well liked Coach and the other is an extremely successful one. With the current problems he has created by making his son the first 8th grader to not only play on the varsity team, but also start he has set himself up for the mutiny that is happening. Hopefully he realizes before its too late that this was a bad decision from the start and corrects it.

I know about all the Edmonson years. I had a brother who started on the 89 team with Yoes, Harrison, Blackburn and Reeeves. I do also know that in 99 he took another team to the sub-state after beating the defending state champs (perry County) in the region tournament and on that team there was not a player that was over 6'1. I know also that in the next year we were beat by two points in the region by another team that went to state. Then I know about the talent that has been now for some years but is now looking up again. I will say there is not many people in the Unionville area that has been to more ballgames than I have and I will stand up and say that Mike has done and is doing a great job. This team this year will win a lot of games and in the next two years have a chance to do some special things. :thumb:

Twenty years with a school does not qualify someone as a good coach, only a popular coach. Small communities are typically more tolerant of an underachieving team if the Coach is good with the kids and a good educator to boot. I think Edmonson fits these criteria. An un-objective person can not honestly call him a good Coach though. He inherited some good teams when he first arrived consisting of kids like Troy Yoes, Troy Harrison, Bob Mitchell to name a few. Since the sub-state run with Yoes, they haven't had another team that could compete. You have to ask yourself, has Unionville had a 15 year drought on talent or is he just a bad Coach? I'll let you be the judge of that. I think Edmonson has survived all these years because of his popularity. Now that partiality in the form of his son was introduced this season, people aren't going to tolerate his less than successful Coaching.

Basically you have to be one of two Coaches to survive in High School. One is a popular, well liked Coach and the other is an extremely successful one. With the current problems he has created by making his son the first 8th grader to not only play on the varsity team, but also start he has set himself up for the mutiny that is happening. Hopefully he realizes before its too late that this was a bad decision from the start and corrects it.

this is a laughable post. so are u sayin that going to the substate and region means a team cant compete? and by the way the "drought" doesnt quite go back that far. 88-98 year in year out were all successful years and Vegas it was 98 actually of the other substate year.

I know about all the Edmonson years. I had a brother who started on the 89 team with Yoes, Harrison, Blackburn and Reeeves. I do also know that in 99 he took another team to the sub-state after beating the defending state champs (perry County) in the region tournament and on that team there was not a player that was over 6'1. I know also that in the next year we were beat by two points in the region by another team that went to state. Then I know about the talent that has been now for some years but is now looking up again. I will say there is not many people in the Unionville area that has been to more ballgames than I have and I will stand up and say that Mike has done and is doing a great job. This team this year will win a lot of games and in the next two years have a chance to do some special things. :thumb:

I've got a brother who played in the early 90's and they had pretty good teams back then. I don't remember them being as successful as we were when I was in high school (early 80's), but I think they were still respectible then. I haven't really followed the program since then, but I felt Edmondson was a pretty good X's and O's guy back then. I didn't always agree with some of his substitutions, but I'm sure there are plenty of parents that don't always agree with things I've done as a Coach.

Bottom line is I think Mike is in a tough situation right now. He has a very talented son and family he wants to keep happy and he also has an entire group of alumni and parents that must be kept satisfied also. His challenge will be finding that happy median that keeps everyone happy. My advice would be to put the best five players on the floor ( and he's been coaching long enough he should know who they are) and let the chips fall where they may.

Edited by cascade11

I hesitate to write this, because some boys will probably suffer retaliation as a result. But, as a dad and mom (2 people I like and respect) with a son on the team pointed out to me, we have an obligation to speak out about this, it is an ethical issue.

Union...cut it out with the "bashing" thing. No one is bashing the coach, and no parents are forming groups to get the coach. He stepped way over the line, well intentioned or not, between personal relationships and basketball decisions. The parents of the better and more experienced players are justifiably upset. So is anyone who wants to see the boys treated fairly and the team do well. No one cares about the past good or ill. Its not all about the coach you know.

There are very few 8th graders pulled up to varsity, none that start and almost none that get any playing time to mention. Young Edmonson, while a good middle player had no where near the talent to justify the move. The middle school team needs him and the varsity does not.

Cody and Kyle, while good middle players are no where near good enough to start or get the playing time they get. How many freshman get any time at all. There are many in the district who are much better than these two who never see the court. Their status on the team has nothing to do with their ability, it is due to their relationships...it can't get any more wrong than that. That is not a knock on the boys by the way. I can't believe you said it does not matter who starts! Of course it does, and it matters who plays.

You might make a point if the team had been weak at guard, but it is not. XXX and YYY are so much better than the three anointed ones that it isn't even close. The plan to play a pushover schedule and start those boys blew up in the 1st qtr of the 1st game. Everything since has been an attempt to justify it, including the wrong being done to ZZZ, who you may remember started the 1st game at the 3 because he earned it. The boys are being treated unjustly and the team is hurting because of it.

That is a fact, not bashing, if the truth hurts so be it. As cascade 11 said the only way to make this right is to play the best 5 players. That will never happen of course. This team exists to give 3 boys and unearned chance to play varsity ball, and no one in authority cares about the talent, ambitions, and dreams of some fine boys who are learning that it is who you know and not what you do that counts. Let me see, that is the lesson we have public school sports teams to teach, right.

So refuge, I guess we are supposed to take your word for it that the players being played have not earned it. Have you been to the practices? That is where things are decided. I'm sure he is biased toward his son, but he is probably harder on him as well. I doubt he would jeapordize the job to play his son as an 8th grader if he couldn't play. Besides we have all seen your evaluations of talent before and I wouldn't trust you to pick a starting lineup for a church league. Your diagnosis of basketball is always hilarious, so the mere fact that you side with the "parents" leans me more toward the coach. You do not have an obligation to speak out about this. Your job is to support the TEAM and teach your children the same. It is only ethical because it's not what they want. Give it a rest. I'm sure Edmondson doesn't tell any of you how to do your jobs.

I hesitate to write this, because some boys will probably suffer retaliation as a result. But, as a dad and mom (2 people I like and respect) with a son on the team pointed out to me, we have an obligation to speak out about this, it is an ethical issue.

Union...cut it out with the "bashing" thing. No one is bashing the coach, and no parents are forming groups to get the coach. He stepped way over the line, well intentioned or not, between personal relationships and basketball decisions. The parents of the better and more experienced players are justifiably upset. So is anyone who wants to see the boys treated fairly and the team do well. No one cares about the past good or ill. Its not all about the coach you know.

There are very few 8th graders pulled up to varsity, none that start and almost none that get any playing time to mention. Young Edmonson, while a good middle player had no where near the talent to justify the move. The middle school team needs him and the varsity does not.

Cody and Kyle, while good middle players are no where near good enough to start or get the playing time they get. How many freshman get any time at all. There are many in the district who are much better than these two who never see the court. Their status on the team has nothing to do with their ability, it is due to their relationships...it can't get any more wrong than that. That is not a knock on the boys by the way. I can't believe you said it does not matter who starts! Of course it does, and it matters who plays.

You might make a point if the team had been weak at guard, but it is not. XXX and YYY are so much better than the three anointed ones that it isn't even close. The plan to play a pushover schedule and start those boys blew up in the 1st qtr of the 1st game. Everything since has been an attempt to justify it, including the wrong being done to ZZZ, who you may remember started the 1st game at the 3 because he earned it. The boys are being treated unjustly and the team is hurting because of it.

That is a fact, not bashing, if the truth hurts so be it. As cascade 11 said the only way to make this right is to play the best 5 players. That will never happen of course. This team exists to give 3 boys and unearned chance to play varsity ball, and no one in authority cares about the talent, ambitions, and dreams of some fine boys who are learning that it is who you know and not what you do that counts. Let me see, that is the lesson we have public school sports teams to teach, right.

I'm neither a parent of any child at this school or a fan. I'm only an outside observer. I find it hard to believe that the first line of this is true. I can't believe any legitimate Coach would take playing time away from a Child because their parent spoke up against the Coach. Surely Coach Edmonson has more character than to do something like that. Do you have any evidence this has happened in the past?

At any rate, I have heard of dis-gruntled parents at other schools call for the removal of a Coach and it typically gets very ugly. Has anyone at this school suggested a CLOSED parent/coach meeting to settle some of the obvious issues that have been discussed on here? I think if someone close to your Coach would suggest this it would go along way toward mending wounds. There is nothing better than a good heart-to-heart discussion to clear the air and if ALL parents are present then there could be no "retaliation" that you speak of because everyone would be there to witness what was said.

• 3 months later...
I'm neither a parent of any child at this school or a fan. I'm only an outside observer. I find it hard to believe that the first line of this is true. I can't believe any legitimate Coach would take playing time away from a Child because their parent spoke up against the Coach. Surely Coach Edmonson has more character than to do something like that. Do you have any evidence this has happened in the past?

At any rate, I have heard of dis-gruntled parents at other schools call for the removal of a Coach and it typically gets very ugly. Has anyone at this school suggested a CLOSED parent/coach meeting to settle some of the obvious issues that have been discussed on here? I think if someone close to your Coach would suggest this it would go along way toward mending wounds. There is nothing better than a good heart-to-heart discussion to clear the air and if ALL parents are present then there could be no "retaliation" that you speak of because everyone would be there to witness what was said.

Well we now know how this all turned out. There was a meeting alright, a secret closed door meeting that included public officials (ever hear of the Sunday laws?). Parents were told to show up without knowing what the meeting was about. Edmondson was not given the courtsey of an invitation and was promptly butchered by a few select parents that aired their greivances, some of which went back 10 years or more! Anyone that thinks that we have taught our youth anything positive from this debacle please stand up and be counted. Shame on Ed Gray and Amy Martin for facillitating such an outrageous assault on this man's basic right to self defense. Twenty years down the drain just like that. Fair minded people need to remember this when the next school board elections roll around. I know I will.