ERSA '91 girls wins CASL College Showcase

Express '91 U-16 girls coached by Matt Yelton, won the U-16 Elite "B" division at CASL College Showcase Shootout in Raleigh, NC.

The Express defeated MatchFit FC from New Jersey 1-0 on a goal by Danielle Ciabattone, tied FC Richmond Mystx, Virginia, 1-1 with the game tying goal being scored by Shannon Kelly and received a forfeit (due to weather problems) from St Louis SC, to reach the championship game.

Express '91 defeated the reigning Kentucky state champions, Javanon '91 1-0 in the title match. Express relied on a stingy defense and an opportunistic offense to control the game and gain the win. Logan Mays scored the goal for the Express.

Express '91 will travel to the GIT tourney Dec 9-10

Edited by chasanooga

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Express '91 U-16 girls coached by Matt Yelton, won the U-16 Elite "B" division at CASL College Showcase Shootout in Raleigh, NC.

The Express defeated MatchFit FC from New Jersey 1-0 on a goal by Danielle Ciabottone, tied FC Richmond Mystx, Virginia, 1-1 with the game tying goal being scored by Shannon Kelly and received a forfeit (due to weather problems) from St Louis SC, to reach the championship game.

Express '91 defeated the reigning Kentucky state champions, Javanon '91 1-0 in the title match. Express relied on a stingy defense and an opportunistic offense to control the game and gain the win. Logan Mays scored the goal for the Express.

Express '91 will travel to the GIT tourney Dec 9-10

Now that's a tough tournament. State champs and they were in the 6th flight of the tournament. Kinda makes you want to move your team to Kentucky. :thumb:

The thing I really like about that tournament are the teams from the north that attend. How often do you get to play a team from New Jersey. They teach a different style up north and it is nice to see the match ups.

Kind of sad you didn't get to play the team from St. Loius, but do you have a Missou team on the schedule for GIT? If you want to make it an interesting weekend try and find a team from Michigan or Colorado and schedule a friendly for Friday night. I saw a team do that last year and thought it was the coolest idea. I know you go to try and win the tournament, but again how often do you really get to see a team from another region of the country.

Congrats to the ERSA girls. That's a big accomplishment and great way to start their season. Matt Yelton has turned that team in a real contender in a short period of time.

I've looked at the Raleigh brackets in the past and I don't think that was the 6th flight. I think it was actually the 2nd. The way that I understand it the A, B C...etc designation within a flight is just to split up each flight, to make the tournament workable so it doesn't extend for a week. That there are only 3 flights with A, B C brackets in each that designates it's own champion. That's the best I can figure, but could be wrong.

It was the 6th flight, but if you look at the teams that were there it is understandable. National champs, regional champs, and state champs were all there. It is alway a big accomplishment to win a game at this tournament, let alone win your bracket. I am just happy somone from Tennessee went over there an won some games. On the boys side it was ugly, TNFC 90 was the only team that won two games if I remember correctly. The other 8 struggled to win a single game.

Is this tournament to far of a drive for SRFC? I would have liked to have seen them there. It looked like all the quality teams east of the Mississippi were there. Shoot there were teams from CA, AZ, UT, CO, TX, OK, MN and IL.

We were not originally accepted to this tourney and then signed up fot the GIT Tourney instead. We were offered a spot Tuesday pm and had to commit by Thursday am. We were all excited and ready to go and found out that 4 of our girls could not go. Three had school and or other commitments and our goalie is on the mend from a broken collarbone. We tried to round up some guest players but on such short notice we could not find anyone. So we went with a defender turned goalie(she had played in middle school) and 2 reserves. Any way our girls played great all weekend and we gutted out the win in the title match. Matt Yelton is in his 2nd year with our club (Lee University Women's head coach) and he is a top notch coach and also great with the girls. Our girls continue to get better week by week. We are extremely lucky to have him. You're right Soccer Gypsy we were in the 6th flight, I saw 2 divisions and here is how it was set up: Championship with A,B,C,D and an Elite division A,B,C,D with 8 teams in each division. To add icing on the cake we went and watched the NCAA final with Carolina beating Notre Dame 2-1. Great game late, with ND making a great last ditch effort. Soccer Gypsy or Kickgrass, will either of you be at GIT this weekend? If so good luck!

I won't be there, I am taking December off this year. My girls won't start up until January and we plan on coming to your tournament in March. That is the other thing I like about that tournament, last year we got to watch the mens

ACC tournament. What a great stadium for soccer.

Did you get to see any of the other groups? That top group looked deadly.

We did see some of the other girls play I can't tell you which ones, but they all looked very good. What a great venue for soccer and what an awesome field. We sat right behind the net and saw a lot of great shots and scoring opportunities. I hope they have the final four there next year. I assume you are talking about the Redoubt tourney.Which one is your team? I assume you are the coach.

It's the East Ridge Adidas Spring Fling set for the first weekend in March. Hopefully they still plan on having it. We are the u-17 KFC Stars out of Knoxville. There are a lot of younger girls on the team and most of them are from CAK. They are a fun group of girls to coach.

Who are you all playing in Memphis?

We play Cincinatti Futbol Alliance & Thouroghbreds SC (KY) then we cross over and play a team that finished as we did in the other division.

My daughter plays for Notre Dame, boy what a game in the semi finals (vs CAK). That was one of the greatest HS games ever played. My daughter was in charge of trying to cover Novikoff from the back side. Brittany Hoffman looks to me to be a rising star! I met Big G at the game who I found out coaches the boys team from CAK. This must be the first year of this tourney ( I have never heard of it) as we play out of East Ridge. I guess we will play in it and I hope to see you there.

Edited by chasanooga

We were not originally accepted to this tourney and then signed up fot the GIT Tourney instead. We were offered a spot Tuesday pm and had to commit by Thursday am. We were all excited and ready to go and found out that 4 of our girls could not go. Three had school and or other commitments and our goalie is on the mend from a broken collarbone. We tried to round up some guest players but on such short notice we could not find anyone. So we went with a defender turned goalie(she had played in middle school) and 2 reserves. Any way our girls played great all weekend and we gutted out the win in the title match. Matt Yelton is in his 2nd year with our club (Lee University Women's head coach) and he is a top notch coach and also great with the girls. Our girls continue to get better week by week. We are extremely lucky to have him. You're right Soccer Gypsy we were in the 6th flight, I saw 2 divisions and here is how it was set up: Championship with A,B,C,D and an Elite division A,B,C,D with 8 teams in each division. To add icing on the cake we went and watched the NCAA final with Carolina beating Notre Dame 2-1. Great game late, with ND making a great last ditch effort. Soccer Gypsy or Kickgrass, will either of you be at GIT this weekend? If so good luck!

Yes my daughters Cobra 90 team will be at the GIT this weekend. U-17 Bronze division. I'm familiar with your ERSA 90 team manager, as I am the manager of my daughters team. Great guy, we played them 5 or so times last year. He helped us set up some great friendlies.

We have some tought teams to play and it should be a great test for our girls. Let's just all hope for decent weather. You never know what you will get in this tournament. I also hope that the tournaments the last 3 weeks haven't destroyed the fields. Look me up. Maybe we can schedule a friendly with your girls this year.

Yes my daughters Cobra 90 team will be at the GIT this weekend. U-17 Bronze division. I'm familiar with your ERSA 90 team manager, as I am the manager of my daughters team. Great guy, we played them 5 or so times last year. He helped us set up some great friendlies.

We have some tought teams to play and it should be a great test for our girls. Let's just all hope for decent weather. You never know what you will get in this tournament. I also hope that the tournaments the last 3 weeks haven't destroyed the fields. Look me up. Maybe we can schedule a friendly with your girls this year.

My bad on the previous message. I can't get this thing figured out on how to answer a specific question.

My bad on the previous message. I can't get this thing figured out on how to answer a specific question.

Looks like the weather will be ok this weekend. High in the 50's low in the 40's that is not too bad this time of year. We play 3:30 & 8:00 on Sat then I think 9:30 Sunday. When are your times? Maybe we can talk about some friendlies. Oh I have had trouble like you just did on a post with no reply,just hit edit and then you can add whatever you wanted to say under the quote. I hope that helps. I hope to see you there.

Edited by chasanooga