NET Recruiting and Curt Phillips (and others)

lordofthescreens

I am not sure why Coach T closed this topic but I wanted to weigh in a little bit on the specific Curt Phillips issue and then pose a broader one for folks to consider.

I was reading my papers this week in Knoxville and following all the energy on the topic related to Curt Phillips at Sullivan South and his rumored departure to Kingsport D-B. I attempted to post a reply and was surprised to see this topic closed. In any event, I would like to offer the following points.

Bo Burton vs Curt Phillips

I am not sure Curt would have started at D-B this year, last year, or next year. For those who assume he would have started over Burton, please remember that Burton's father is a major long term D-B assistant coach. Also, growing up and paying your dues in the system is important. It is actually very difficult for a transfer to come in and unseat a starter and maintain team chemistry. Truth is, Graham Clark and D-B did not really need Curt. Their state title run was over when the Sensibaugh kid hurt his ankle at the end of the William Blount playoff game. By the way, both Burton and Phillips made Coaches All State in their respective classifications.

Duran Ferguson vs Burton vs Phillips

Duran was not nearly the prospect in football that either of these two guys are. Duran's lack of discipline, work ethic, and his late season fade in performance seriously hurt D-B's playoff chances that year and really dropped his stock in recruiting. He was not a serious football prospect at the end of the season. I am not sure how much of that was his peformance or his preference.

NET Recruiting

I was recently amazed to see an article in the Knoxville paper touting the signing of a Knox Powell lineman to a football scholarship to Michigan State. Also the article indicated that in recent years Knox Powell had signed 5 kids to D-I scholarships while going 20-15. I am not knocking Knox Powell but it is really strange that we cannot produce similar results in NET. I think this is because coaches in NET do not have connections, do not work hard to get their kids recruited, and do not try to go outside of their easy contacts at Maryville College, Emory & Henry, UVA-Wise, Tusculum, Carson-Newman, etc. It is a shame and I think that several D-I prospects are left on the table in NET every year because the coaches are unwilling or unable to make the contacts. I would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure why Coach T closed this topic but I wanted to weigh in a little bit on the specific Curt Phillips issue and then pose a broader one for folks to consider.

I was reading my papers this week in Knoxville and following all the energy on the topic related to Curt Phillips at Sullivan South and his rumored departure to Kingsport D-B. I attempted to post a reply and was surprised to see this topic closed. In any event, I would like to offer the following points.

Bo Burton vs Curt Phillips

I am not sure Curt would have started at D-B this year, last year, or next year. For those who assume he would have started over Burton, please remember that Burton's father is a major long term D-B assistant coach. Also, growing up and paying your dues in the system is important. It is actually very difficult for a transfer to come in and unseat a starter and maintain team chemistry. Truth is, Graham Clark and D-B did not really need Curt. Their state title run was over when the Sensibaugh kid hurt his ankle at the end of the William Blount playoff game. By the way, both Burton and Phillips made Coaches All State in their respective classifications.

Duran Ferguson vs Burton vs Phillips

Duran was not nearly the prospect in football that either of these two guys are. Duran's lack of discipline, work ethic, and his late season fade in performance seriously hurt D-B's playoff chances that year and really dropped his stock in recruiting. He was not a serious football prospect at the end of the season. I am not sure how much of that was his peformance or his preference.

NET Recruiting

I was recently amazed to see an article in the Knoxville paper touting the signing of a Knox Powell lineman to a football scholarship to Michigan State. Also the article indicated that in recent years Knox Powell had signed 5 kids to D-I scholarships while going 20-15. I am not knocking Knox Powell but it is really strange that we cannot produce similar results in NET. I think this is because coaches in NET do not have connections, do not work hard to get their kids recruited, and do not try to go outside of their easy contacts at Maryville College, Emory & Henry, UVA-Wise, Tusculum, Carson-Newman, etc. It is a shame and I think that several D-I prospects are left on the table in NET every year because the coaches are unwilling or unable to make the contacts. I would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

First of all...I would like to say, "Great Post". After that I must disagree with the politics at DB. I am a SSHS fan and yes so many will say I am biased, however I have seen Burton play on numerous occasions and I must conclude that Curt is a superior QB in every facet. Not to mention he has one more season to go. And I think the coaches at DB do play the "Seniority Game" when it comes to starters, but superiority speaks for itself and I think Graham Clark would have seen the light and Curt Phillips would have prevailed. He just brings more tools to the table. Duran Ferguson was at the mercy of his WR. Not so with Curt Phillips. I disagree that DB's state run was over with when Cody got hurt. He was their go-to-man but they had so many other options. I feel they could have gone to the finals without Cody if Clark would have used all of his tools. And yes, DB did not need Curt because Bo was plenty of QB. But more importantly, I agree with your assesment of the NET recruiting situation. I think you are spot-on in this regard. I, however, would like to interject one thing along this line and that would be coaches salary...and maybe teachers salary in general. They don't get paid enough to do what they do and then we as parents expect them to get our children to a good college. Any NET football program requires so much volunteer work it is pathetic. And this is required just to allow the coach to spend his 12-15 hours a day (during the season) to do nothing more than "Coaching". You are correct when you say that many prospects are left on the table every year due to a lack of networking on the coaches part, but I bite my lip when I say, "I can't really blame them". I mean, how much do you think Maryvilles coach makes a year? How about Graham Clark? I can tell you that Stacy Carter is not getting rich. Not to mention the rest of his staff. Yes, you gotta perform before you get chosen. But I think Harry Fry of Gate City is a good example of the situation. He wasn't paid much by the system but the community kept him happy. And by George it worked. You know we say the coaches have a responsibility to our boys...well I think we have a responsibility to our coaches. A lot of people will say that I've got nerve saying these words after the tongue lashing I gave Stacy after the DB game this year but my words were from the heart. And I work my rear off doing my part for my team. I just think we need more...more people involved...more fund raising...more support...more money for the coaches. And I guess the point of my post is that I don't care if you are Republican or Democrat, a Jackass or a Buffoon, White or Black, Saint or Sinner...but if you don't vote you have no right to complain. So if you're not involved with your program then maybe you should get busy and help out...then at least when you sound-off everybody will just say, "Ahhh don't let him bother you he's just a "hard-A". And maybe you will see that...yes, these coaches need a little bit of chocolate every now and then. :lol:

When you really look close at North East Tennessee, you really don't have any good coaches here. No one has done very well when going up against the rest of the state. Even with Graham Clark. Most say he is the best coach in the area. But he is out of his league when he gets to the playoffs. He is also paid very well, so it's not all about the money.

First of all...I would like to say, "Great Post". After that I must disagree with the politics at DB. I am a SSHS fan and yes so many will say I am biased, however I have seen Burton play on numerous occasions and I must conclude that Curt is a superior QB in every facet. Not to mention he has one more season to go. And I think the coaches at DB do play the "Seniority Game" when it comes to starters, but superiority speaks for itself and I think Graham Clark would have seen the light and Curt Phillips would have prevailed. He just brings more tools to the table. Duran Ferguson was at the mercy of his WR. Not so with Curt Phillips. I disagree that DB's state run was over with when Cody got hurt. He was their go-to-man but they had so many other options. I feel they could have gone to the finals without Cody if Clark would have used all of his tools. And yes, DB did not need Curt because Bo was plenty of QB. But more importantly, I agree with your assesment of the NET recruiting situation. I think you are spot-on in this regard. I, however, would like to interject one thing along this line and that would be coaches salary...and maybe teachers salary in general. They don't get paid enough to do what they do and then we as parents expect them to get our children to a good college. Any NET football program requires so much volunteer work it is pathetic. And this is required just to allow the coach to spend his 12-15 hours a day (during the season) to do nothing more than "Coaching". You are correct when you say that many prospects are left on the table every year due to a lack of networking on the coaches part, but I bite my lip when I say, "I can't really blame them". I mean, how much do you think Maryvilles coach makes a year? How about Graham Clark? I can tell you that Stacy Carter is not getting rich. Not to mention the rest of his staff. Yes, you gotta perform before you get chosen. But I think Harry Fry of Gate City is a good example of the situation. He wasn't paid much by the system but the community kept him happy. And by George it worked. You know we say the coaches have a responsibility to our boys...well I think we have a responsibility to our coaches. A lot of people will say that I've got nerve saying these words after the tongue lashing I gave Stacy after the DB game this year but my words were from the heart. And I work my rear off doing my part for my team. I just think we need more...more people involved...more fund raising...more support...more money for the coaches. And I guess the point of my post is that I don't care if you are Republican or Democrat, a Jackass or a Buffoon, White or Black, Saint or Sinner...but if you don't vote you have no right to complain. So if you're not involved with your program then maybe you should get busy and help out...then at least when you sound-off everybody will just say, "Ahhh don't let him bother you he's just a "hard-A". And maybe you will see that...yes, these coaches need a little bit of chocolate every now and then. :D

You may have a good point or 2 in there somewhere, but I disagree about teachers and coaches not getting paid enough.

OK you 2...it was probably the $30 thing that axed it but yall started it. I guess you can't advertise here...so now you know this. And what do you mean a point or two in there somewhere? Oh and yall are hobnobin' now ehh? Well, money IS everything and it's the reason SHHS hasn't anounced yet. And if they make more money then they can be held to a higher standard. Someone who knows the numbers should get on here and put it in plain view.

Good job getting the other thread shut down.

Anyone else hear that Maryville has been recruiting Phillps?

Mikey, if what I did shut the thread down, you would have shut down literally half the threads on CoachT. You post on every topic seems like. How did you all of a sudden become a Maryville expert btw? You can't even find their stadium! ;)

I want to hear some numbers. Who knows the numbers? Give us some numbers and let's see if they get paid enough. Break it down...I mean how much bonus do they get for winning the conference, the state? And Wampler for example...he got more money to go to THS as an assistant than to stay at North as head coach. What's up with that? Oh OK Bristol city and Kingsport city has more money to work with than Sullivan County. That's wrong man.

I think for anyone from DB to say they do not need Curt Phillips is lying to themselves. Perhaps they don't "need" him but I bet Graham Clark would be tickled pink to have a 6'3" 220 lb. quarterback with a great arm and two or three years experience under his belt. Would he have started over Burton? I don't know but I bet it would have been a good problem to have. Can Curt or Burton play another offensive position? Would they have been willing to give up QB to play? A lot of questions that will not be answered.

The bottom line is that Curt Phillips is a great athlete, even if he isn't at QB he would still be a threat somewhere else on the field. I hope he stays at South because I think he will look back and regret it if he leaves. He will get plenty of attention this fall no matter where he plays.

I want to hear some numbers. Who knows the numbers? Give us some numbers and let's see if they get paid enough. Break it down...I mean how much bonus do they get for winning the conference, the state? And Wampler for example...he got more money to go to THS as an assistant than to stay at North as head coach. What's up with that? Oh OK Bristol city and Kingsport city has more money to work with than Sullivan County. That's wrong man.

Here's a number for you, #3. No it's not Dale Earnhardt. It's the number of months teachers get off during the summer. That's not to mention every weekend and holiday they get off. As far as coaches go, they are volunteering to do something they love to do and get paid extra to do it. That don't sound too bad to me.