Booker T. Washington vs Hamilton

Icy

I wonder if the teams could warm up to some classical music or maybe some sounds of the seasons. Heck it is the holiday season so why not warm up to some Christmas music.

In all seriousness I do believe that rap music is okay AS LONG AS IT IS EDITED MATERIAL!!!! People don't want to hear about "shooting people" or "dealing drugs" or "having meaningless sex with 18 different women who are labeled as being nothing shy of scum". It has nothing to do with athletics and it has no place in athletics whatsoever AT ANY LEVEL!!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trader, In my own round about way of humor I have been trying to point this fact out. It was a HIGH SCHOOL game with young people attending as well as older fans who don't want to be exposed to that filthy stuff. You can listen to whatever you wish but why play something that would NOT BE TOLERATED in a classroom. By the way if you can play that dirty rap crap then I would think a prayer before the game would be appropriate!

Amen, brother!

Hamilton 90 -- BTW 78 Final.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After attending this game tonight, I must say....I have NEVER witnessed such a poor exhibition of the game of basketball, or such a disgraceful music selection--used to "entertain," during times-outs and half-time!

The quality of play and teamwork in this BTW vs Hamilton game game was so atrocious that it reminded me of the sort of games you'd find on the playground: Pure run-and-gun, no offensive sets, every man for himself....absolutely no strategy or tactics whatsoever. Fundamentals non-existent.

Here's how I'd sum up these two teams:

BTW: Solid inside-outside threat. Good guard play, scrappy defenders; Excellent shot blocker... They have two tall, potent low-post players who, inexplicably, all but get ignored on the offensive end... BTW thrives on hoisting up 3-pointers just as quickly as they can get a shot off. They don't seem to be interested (or aware) in utilizing its obvious low-post advantage...The result: its big men are mostly a non-factor on the offensive end (HUGE MISTAKE)....Between the 2 of them, BTW's big men may have had only 7 or 8 passes thrown to them in the post THE ENTIRE GAME! Yet, when they got the ball, they usually scored or got fouled.

BTW definitely has all the ingredients to challenge for the State Title. They just suffer from poor Coaching, IMO.... BTW's superior record is moreso a function of pure talent and depth, rather than "superior" coaching. That's for sure!

Hamilton: Lots of talent and good size (again), excellent guard play, and solid rebounding. Like BTW, Hamilton chunks up entirely too many bad, low-percentage, long-range bombs. They also ignore its post players on the offensive end. As a result, their size advantage is completely negated....While Hamilton's low-post players don't appear to be as potent as last year's "twin-towers," they nevertheless showed that they're more than capable, once given the ball (which was extremely too infrequently)....

Hamilton has enough talent to repeat as State Champs. Seriously. The problem is that they're too dead-set on running-n-gunning their way to a State Title, this year (like last year). It likely won't happen though, 'cause they don't have the depth, above-average low-post scoring, overwhelming rebounding and interior defensive strength that they enjoyed last year.

Hamilton's poor record is NOT surprising. It's unfortunate (cause they have the ingredients to be a great team), but not surprising..... Poor Coaching is the culprit, from what I witnessed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the music selections played during times-outs and half-time.....

Hamilton's School Monitor was the DJ/Game Announcer. He played UNCUT rap music at EVERY break, in the game!

If someone gave me a dime for every EXPLICIT lyric played, I'd be very wealthy. If someone game me a nickel for every time the word NIGG__R was played, I'd be a millionaire! If someone game me a penny for all the PROFANE lyrics played, I'd be a multi-millionaire!

It's absolutely DISGRACEFUL, DISGUSTING and downright DEPLORABLE that any school official would even dare think about playing that type of derrogatory music at a school/public function, let alone have the AUDACITY to actually impose those sort of OFFENSIVE and DEGRADING lyrics upon unsuspecting families and paying fans!

I expressed my concerns to the School Monitor and the Assistant Principal, after the game. I will be forwarding those concerns to the Principal, School Board and the Superintendent.

And someone from memphis had the nerve to get mad at me for using the word "thug."

I agree that stuff has no place at all. And another thing....I have been to 3 games this year where all the cheerleaders needed was a pole to dance around. I as a grown man was embarassed to be there especially when I looked around and saw a those older ladies having to be subjected to that crap. A lack of respect is what that is.....for themselves first and then for others.

In an effort to stay on subject.....I kinda figured Hamilton would win that one. :thumb:

Point well taken, now let's stay on the topic . If you want to discuss something else, please start your own thread. :lol:

First of all, not all schools play this type of music. At BTW, we also play music, but it is edited and mostly ole school Earth Wind and Fire etc.

As for the game, BTW had no since of urgency even at the end down by 5 with 1:45 to go we came down and missed a layup and gave up offensive rebounds. I think the kids where tired, being that we have played 3 games a week since opening week. As for the run and gun style of BTW and Hamilton, I agree both teams need to look inside more, but when you have when you have quarterhorses you have to let them get out in run. Patrick Lee's shot was off last night, but Timothy Ray Ray Ware just get to the basket at will. Other problems are Jerry Hampton tend to float up to the high post and rather shoot the midrange jumper than work the low post. Phillips gets in foul trouble because he is a football player, with a 4.5 by the way.

Also, #12 had a monster game and Hamilton played a very good game and the game was a lot closer than the score showed. There was a shot hit at the buzzer to move it over 10 points but it was within five with less than 1 minute to go. Also, I think Hamilton was allowed to get away with a lot at their house, but if you go undefeated and win state, you should get calls.

As for Thugs, these are still KIDS and yes I was very offended by the music selection played at the game, my principal and administors where at the game and made comments about it also. As for the coaches, If a man guide a team to an undefeated season, he must know something and doing something right. As for Coach Horton, who has over thirty years of coaching and a state title. Who are we to judge their style especially if it is effective. As good as Jerry Hampton is, Timothy Ware is still the best player on the team so the offense should run through him.

I agree that stuff has no place at all. And another thing....I have been to 3 games this year where all the cheerleaders needed was a pole to dance around. I as a grown man was embarassed to be there especially when I looked around and saw a those older ladies having to be subjected to that crap. A lack of respect is what that is.....for themselves first and then for others.

In an effort to stay on subject.....I kinda figured Hamilton would win that one. :lol:

If you dont like the STYLE OF THE MEMPHIS AREA dont go to the darn games

First of all, not all schools play this type of music. At BTW, we also play music, but it is edited and mostly ole school Earth Wind and Fire etc.

As for the game, BTW had no since of urgency even at the end down by 5 with 1:45 to go we came down and missed a layup and gave up offensive rebounds. I think the kids where tired, being that we have played 3 games a week since opening week. As for the run and gun style of BTW and Hamilton, I agree both teams need to look inside more, but when you have when you have quarterhorses you have to let them get out in run. Patrick Lee's shot was off last night, but Timothy Ray Ray Ware just get to the basket at will. Other problems are Jerry Hampton tend to float up to the high post and rather shoot the midrange jumper than work the low post. Phillips gets in foul trouble because he is a football player, with a 4.5 by the way.

Also, #12 had a monster game and Hamilton played a very good game and the game was a lot closer than the score showed. There was a shot hit at the buzzer to move it over 10 points but it was within five with less than 1 minute to go. Also, I think Hamilton was allowed to get away with a lot at their house, but if you go undefeated and win state, you should get calls.

As for Thugs, these are still KIDS and yes I was very offended by the music selection played at the game, my principal and administors where at the game and made comments about it also. As for the coaches, If a man guide a team to an undefeated season, he must know something and doing something right. As for Coach Horton, who has over thirty years of coaching and a state title. Who are we to judge their style especially if it is effective. As good as Jerry Hampton is, Timothy Ware is still the best player on the team so the offense should run through him.

Mr. McKinney, as a former Washingtonian, I agree with you to a certain point, on the other hand, BTW can't win a championship without Jerry getting his share of touches. For example, let's reflect on the Lakers when they had Kobe, as a Lakers fan, in my opinion, Kobe was the best player on that team but without Shaq they couldn't win a championship. Ray Ray is a really good player and he is without a doubt one of the best guards in the state, however, there aren't many players in the state that can stop Jerry. Washington will bounce back from that lost and definitely get better as the season progress. I will be at the game when the warriors play CHS. I will talk to you and introduce myself then. :lol: