Scottsboro (AL) Super Duals - Dec. 23 only

BamaGrappler

I fully understand why a great program would send their JV to a vasity tournament but not one of the most difficult tournaments. Who knows what Grissom is going to do as some people know they have done some crazy and unpredictible things over the years.

Depriving their wrestlers of wrestling in the finals of tournaments because they don't wanna wrestle one or two teams?? Kinda crazy if you ask me.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! So many (good/valid) questions.......so little time.

:lol:

Let me first say, that while I don't agree with everything Coach Dasaro does at Grissom (or any coach for that matter), I do respect him (along with many others).

walkenvol-

You didn't miss a thing, and I agree with you. For clarification, my understanding is Grissom sent a mixed squad to Parkview....not just JV only. Having said that, you either commit to send your best to me if that's what I'm after, or you make it clear your intentions. I completely understand sending mixed teams to tough competition to build strength and depth within your program. How else will your JV guys improve enough to realistically challenge for the V spot? As RMC pointed out, it's good for the JV --- just know where they're most welcome. However, I also completely understand wanting to build "the" toughest southeast region tournament for promotion within the region as well as 'bragging rights'. From Coach Stromie/Coach Beuglas's standpoint, I'm surprised they invited Grissom instead of Prattville or Scottsboro. I'm particularly surprised they invited Grissom after a Parkview/Grissom incident at the Hartselle Duals a few years back. I don't expect Grissom to be at Parkview next year. However, I've been wrong before.

RMC-

Correct. A few years ago, Grissom sent both squads to Athens Last Man Standing. Most of the V squad qualified for the finals --- which by the way, their V squad even being there suprised me. It happened to be a year that Baylor went.....who also qualified most of their V squad for the finals. Grissom boarded the bus and went home before the finals. There were a lot of questions, but I suspect Coach Dasaro did what he felt was best for his team to not risk injury (keep in mind, it was less than 2 weeks before our Sectionals weekend). They have not been back since. They have not (until this year) gone to Scottsboro Super Duals (Baylor comes every year). Grissom is one of the closest, in travelling distance, to Scottsboro, yet Coach Staton has a hard time getting Grissom to even schedule to come --- and a harder time keeping them from cancelling.

cbg-

You're right. At some point, you have to expect certain things as inevitable. Or 'expect the unexpected', I guess.

Anyway, good luck to everyone over the Holiday break! Hope you and yours have a blessed Holiday season (whichever celebration you choose).

:lol:

Bamawrestler,

I am glad to see that Baylor will be at Scottsboro on Saturday because there should be some very exciting matches at 152 and 160. I do hope Grissom comes also because if they do then 160 would be the weight class to watch.

160 - Kyle Cuthberson, Dan Waddell, Brendan Prince

152 - Chase Cuthberson vs. Reed Doster

Wish I could be there!

Edited by greyhound

Grissom's varsity was a no show, however Scottsboro has a quality team. I believe Baylor won 52-15, but it was much closer then the score would indicate. The 2 Cuthbertson boys lost great matches with Dostor (by 2) and Waddell (in OT). Their 285 looked really tough until Still got a foot sweep to the pin. All the close matches seemed to go our way today. Good luck to Scottsboro for the rest of the season.

Grissom's varsity was a no show, however Scottsboro has a quality team. I believe Baylor won 52-15, but it was much closer then the score would indicate. The 2 Cuthbertson boys lost great matches with Dostor (by 2) and Waddell (in OT). Their 285 looked really tough until Still got a foot sweep to the pin. All the close matches seemed to go our way today. Good luck to Scottsboro for the rest of the season.

Technically, Grissom's varsity was a half-show (some wrestled, some didn't). I'm not sure if their JV went to Buckhorn Border Wars or not, but their varsity came to Scottsboro. Unfortunately (in part due to the time of year), some of them sat on the sidelines with chicken soup and stitches (illnesses and injuries). Brendan Prince (160) took a hard shot above the eye in practice just a couple of days earlier. Stitches to close his eyebrow/forehead kept him sidelined. Ryan Prince and a few others had been in/out sick through the week.

I had Baylor 57 ~ Scottsboro 15 from what I could gather on the score sheets. Baylor always beats up on us Alabama teams. Good luck to them in TN.

:blink:

Thanks for the good words regarding Scottsboro. I'll pass the compliment along.

Didn't get to see some anticipated match-ups, but did get a few good matches anyway. It's been a while since I last saw Chase & Kyle lose in the same dual in the same day.

Available results are posted here.

Technically, Grissom's varsity was a half-show (some wrestled, some didn't). I'm not sure if their JV went to Buckhorn Border Wars or not, but their varsity came to Scottsboro. Unfortunately (in part due to the time of year), some of them sat on the sidelines with chicken soup and stitches (illnesses and injuries). Brendan Prince (160) took a hard shot above the eye in practice just a couple of days earlier. Stitches to close his eyebrow/forehead kept him sidelined. Ryan Prince and a few others had been in/out sick through the week.

I had Baylor 57 ~ Scottsboro 15 from what I could gather on the score sheets. Baylor always beats up on us Alabama teams. Good luck to them in TN.

:blink:

Thanks for the good words regarding Scottsboro. I'll pass the compliment along.

Didn't get to see some anticipated match-ups, but did get a few good matches anyway. It's been a while since I last saw Chase & Kyle lose in the same dual in the same day.

Available results are posted here.

Hey Bama,

In your opinion, what's the future of Hoover and Vestavia Hills wrestling looking like? What's the top ten of the past ten years? Also, please give me your opinion on the state qualification post. You're mentioned on my last post there.

Thanks!!