Harrison Smith & Golden Tate (Notre Dame BOUND)

Big Country

ND and UT are 4-4 all time.

1978 at ND 31-14 good guys

1979 at UT 18-40 bad guys

1990 at UT 34-29 good guys

1991 at ND 34-35 bad guys

1999 at UT 14-38 bad guys

2001 at ND 18-28 bad guys

2004 at UT 17-13 good guys

2005 at ND 41-21 good guys

BTW ND is 21-12 overall against the SEC, which is surprising given that the SEC is bigger, stronger and better.

I would be willing to bet that a majority of ND's victories over SEC teams either came in their "glory" days or against teams like Miss. St...... Unless you are counting the 2 times that the best ND team in years beat the worst TN team in years. ND just better hope they don't have to play UT next year in a bowl.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be willing to bet that a majority of ND's victories over SEC teams either came in their "glory" days or against teams like Miss. St...... Unless you are counting the 2 times that the best ND team in years beat the worst TN team in years. ND just better hope they don't have to play UT next year in a bowl.

Yeah, I understand the fear is palpable at South Bend that if they have to play UT next year in a bowl game it's because they won't be playing in the BCS.

Edited by uncfan13

both quality teams, and i am sure both programs have the utmost respect for the other. UT fans feel disrespected bc ND is a very popular draw and, of course, up north, while ND fans feel underappreciated bc it is the opinion of many down south that they couldn't hang in the SEC. You grown men out there will be arguing about this one for days.

As is predictable, what you are "willing to bet" is wrong again. Notre Dame against the CURRENT SEC teams is 17-11. Against teams which were in the SEC at the time they played the Irish--18-10. The records are as follows:

vs. Alabama 5-1, all but one in the Bryant era and 2 wins in championship games.

vs. LSU 5-4, including one year when the teams played twice with a split.

vs. Ole Miss 1-1, and this was in the 1960's, when Mississippi was an SEC power.

vs. Tennessee 4-4

vs. Vanderbilt 2-0

vs. Georgia 0-1, the only SEC opponent that Notre Dame has not beaten.

Incidentally, your claim that the Notre Dame team which beat the Pumpkins in Knoxville in 2004 was "the best Notre Dame team in years" is quite a surprise to Notre Dame fans. That was Willingham's last year and the record was 6-6.. Furthermore, your presumption that most of those wins came during the Notre Dame "glory days" is far from true. Notre Dame did not begin playing southern teams until the late 1950's, after the days of Rockne, Leahy, etc.

Edited by Augielio

As is predictable, what you are "willing to bet" is wrong again. Notre Dame against the CURRENT SEC teams is 17-11. Against teams which were in the SEC at the time they played the Irish--18-10. The records are as follows:

vs. Alabama 5-1, all but one in the Bryant era and 2 wins in championship games.

vs. LSU 5-4, including one year when the teams played twice with a split.

vs. Ole Miss 1-1, and this was in the 1960's, when Mississippi was an SEC power.

vs. Tennessee 4-4

vs. Vanderbilt 2-0

vs. Georgia 0-1, the only SEC opponent that Notre Dame has not beaten.

Incidentally, your claim that the Notre Dame team which beat the Pumpkins in Knoxville in 2004 was "the best Notre Dame team in years" is quite a surprise to Notre Dame fans. That was Willingham's last year and the record was 6-6.. Furthermore, your presumption that most of those wins came during the Notre Dame "glory days" is far from true. Notre Dame did not begin playing southern teams until the late 1950's, after the days of Rockne, Leahy, etc.

Correct. It's often forgotten that The Bear took a bagle against ND lifetime. It should also be pointed out that one of the 12 titles (hahaha) Bama claims came in 1973, the year ND beat them in the Sugar.

When exactly was ND's glory years, btw? Are you talking Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Devine or Holtz eras? All have titles.

And that is an excellent point about Willingham. The guy was awful and did more harm to ND than any other coach in its history. ND fans concede without debate that the Irish under Davie and Willingham were a joke and mere shadows of their once glorious past. That should not mean the program is dead or even a dinosaur. The fact that ESPN spends most of its time talking about them and that this post continues, proves that people still care, one way or another. And, again, please note that I didn't feel compelled to dis another team to make ND look good. Well, I did take at poke at the Bear.

"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter." Kip

A total embarrassment for UT no doubt, something ND knows about all too well...12 years is a long time.

All you bring up is the PAST right????? Well if that's the case then why don't we reflect a little further in the past & compare NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!! Notre Dame has 11. Tennessee????????????

The past is the past so if you mention anything that happened in the past then I have you beat in that argument.

Like I said a month ago, Notre Dame crushed Penn State & I said that the Nittany Lions would beat Tennessee. IT HAPPENED!!! LSU is another team that beat Tennessee & tomorrow night they'll lose their "home game" against Notre Dame at the Sugar Bowl.

It's just a simple fact that Notre Dame > Tennessee :o

Penn State: 20

Tennessee: 10

Notre Dame crushed Penn State earlier this year :o

I have been a UT fan for around 40 yrs and it's the same ole crap every yr. I don't blame Harrison one bit for picking ND over the Vols. Getting beat in a bowl game has become the norm so it seems. Not taking anything away from Penn St. but it's getting ridiculous. Fulmer and Co. needs to go. Every school is trying to get the coaches that are up on todays game .Fla.....USC... and ND have some of the best coaches around. Alabama's on the verge of getting them one as well. Get rid of the dinosaurs up on the hill. It's not the talent b/c TN has some of the best every yr but the coaches run the same old schemes that were successful in the 70's and 80's.

I would love to see UT land a coach like at RUTGERS or BOISE ST.

Edited by Rocking Chair

I have been a UT fan for around 40 yrs and it's the same ole crap every yr. I don't blame Harrison one bit for picking ND over the Vols. Getting beat in a bowl game has become the norm so it seems. Not taking anything away from Penn St. but it's getting ridiculous. Fulmer and Co. needs to go. Every school is trying to get the coaches that are up on todays game .Fla.....USC... and ND have some of the best coaches around. Alabama's on the verge of getting them one as well. Get rid of the dinosaurs up on the hill. It's not the talent b/c TN has some of the best every yr but the coaches run the same old schemes that were successful in the 70's and 80's.

I would love to see UT land a coach like at RUTGERS or BOISE ST.

After last night I may believe Boise State has the best head football coach in D-I College Football. He got those kids to rally after they seemingly faltered in the clutch after the Zabransky interception. That showed that his kids have great CHARACTER!!!!! I don't even have to talk X's & O's after some of the stuff they ran last night.

Paul Johnson at Navy is also one of the best coaches in the nation but will never likely land that "big job", despite his success at Georgia Southern & Navy, because his teams run the Triple Option offense.