Shot Clock

smckinney

I understand the pros and the cons of the issue. However, if we are trying to prepare our kids for the next level where the shot clock is being used, I think it is our responsibility to equipt our kids with every tool we can. Especially if many of the other states are using a clock. It seems to me that those who are against the clock are afriad their kids cannot make good decisions on the clock. Also, we are talking about a 30 second clock, that is a lot of time to run a good offense.

Thanks for all the comments.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the pros and the cons of the issue. However, if we are trying to prepare our kids for the next level where the shot clock is being used, I think it is our responsibility to equipt our kids with every tool we can. Especially if many of the other states are using a clock. It seems to me that those who are against the clock are afriad their kids cannot make good decisions on the clock. Also, we are talking about a 30 second clock, that is a lot of time to run a good offense.

Thanks for all the comments.

You should take a stopwatch to the next game you attend and time each team's possessions, and then get back on here and tell us the results. I would think that most possessions will end up with a shot or a turnover before the 30 seconds.

I also think that the majority of the players of the game are not going on to the next level to play. So why should we change the game for the minority that is going on to the next level?

As far as decisions, the players are going to have to make decisions no matter how the game is played.

Also with the clock you are probably going to see a lot more bad shots because teams will probably start playing the clock. I think you will see teams just stall for a few seconds and then have to force a shot to beat the clock.

Just my 2 cents.

Are you telling me that the only kind of basketball you enjoy is watching slow non-athletic girls running the four-corner? :) I don't think so. But, tell me if I'm wrong. To each their own. :)

Exactly said. To each their own.

Each level of basketball has it's own merits.

I have season tickets to my local NCAA team.

I go to as many AAU events within 100 miles as fate allows.

I go where the (my oppinion) best highschool matchups are. (1 hours drive)

Each of these have their own separate merits.

The four corner may be the reason for the shot clock. :)

You should take a stopwatch to the next game you attend and time each team's possessions, and then get back on here and tell us the results. I would think that most possessions will end up with a shot or a turnover before the 30 seconds.

I also think that the majority of the players of the game are not going on to the next level to play. So why should we change the game for the minority that is going on to the next level?

As far as decisions, the players are going to have to make decisions no matter how the game is played.

Also with the clock you are probably going to see a lot more bad shots because teams will probably start playing the clock. I think you will see teams just stall for a few seconds and then have to force a shot to beat the clock.

Just my 2 cents.

The first two points I believe have a lot of merit and definitely need to be considered. I especially like the point about the fact that the majority of the kids are not going on to play higher level ball so why do they need experience with a shot clock. It goes to why we even have girls basketball. In the end, what's its function for the girls. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

The third misses my point entirely. If you're alive you have to make decisions in any situation. My point is that with the shot clock there is a lot more opportunity to learn to make decisions under pressure - specifically time pressure.

My response to the fourth point is that if players are forcing bad shots, then that's a coaching problem. If a coach doesn't know how to coach with a shot clock then I'm sure he can learn. If the problem is due to the issue of not enough talent (they're so much less unathletic than their opponent, they can't ever get a good look) then you know what my response to that is.

If I am not mistaken.... a study was done a few years ago and the average possession in a girls HS basketball game was around 20-25 seconds. Why put in a shot clock if MOST teams are already putting it up within 30 seconds? Leave the HS game alone.

It all comes down to why do we even bother to have girls basketball programs in high school. Is it to give the girls something to do? Is it to make it look like we're giving equal rights to the girls as to the boys? Is it so they can have a shot a college athletic scholarship? Is it to teach life skills to the girls whether they're going onto college basketball careers or not?

Saying that we should not put in the shot clock because some players can't compete is tantamount to saying we shouldn't offer higher math in the high schools because most of the girls aren't going to be using it once they leave high school. Yeah, well the ones that are capable of/willing to work hard enough for excellence in math should be rewarded for their pursuit of excellence.

In school kids can choose if they want the challenge of higher math or not. Maybe they ought to let high schools choose if they want to use the shot clock on their home court or if they want to be in a league using a shot clock or not?

Maybe they ought to let high schools choose if they want to use the shot clock on their home court or if they want to be in a league using a shot clock or not?

Phill, they already do this today. The TSSAA is made up of a board of directors and guess who they are....... you guessed it....The High Schools themselves...it is a self governing body. They (the Schools) could choose to put in a shot clock if they so choose but they have chosen not to.

Your points about equality, etc; lack merit. If the HS Mens game ever gets a shot clock...so will the women.

Just leave it alone. Don't ruin a perfectly good game.