SMITH LEAVES INDEPENDENCE

CHS 2007

Oh, I know that. I was just kidding with tnsparty, an old Doublewing guy. With the offensive personnel you have now the ball will be flying thru the air a lot. :thumb:

i know that hillsboro's blade seems to be happy, but has the newness worn off? would he want to step up and play with the big boys? indy already has the spread, could be a smooth transition. not that blade deserves the position or would even be the best candidate, but it might be interesting.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I know that. I was just kidding with tnsparty, an old Doublewing guy. With the offensive personnel you have now the ball will be flying thru the air a lot. :thumb:

Tnsparty and I have had several conversations about the Double Wing and I think most of us HMS alums recall the infamous "Wedge" play.

Edited by donathan5507

Tnsparty and I have had several conversations about the Double Wing and I think most of us HMS alums recall the infamous "Wedge" play.

Ah yes! The wedge...the single most powerful play in football. I'm an old Single Wing guy & it remains one of my favorites. You can do an absolute number on a nose guard; very few people can stand up to 1200 lbs. of beef coming at 'em!

I just noticed this. So did you go to the principal about Smith only after he started posting on coacht talking trash? Sounds exactly like what happened to me. Things that make wanna go hmmmm. <_<

Hold on before you think you have something. ....I was part of a group who had issues with the boundaries at a meeting and Page's principal and Indy's was there about how it has affected the kids. My son had the principal at Oakview so I know her and spoken to her several times over the years. Talked to smitty once......too much attitude. I don't know who you are or where you coach.....and it doesn't matter to me.....I still say what I think on here and otherwise. .....besides that is a cowardly way and the Bulldog is not a coward.....maybe hard-headed....maybe sarcastic...but not a coward.

Wow! I heard that Cordell was coming to IHS when SS came initially. What happened there?

Too bad SS dumped all this in the players laps a week before their football banquet.

As for the downhill slide of the Eagles toward the end of the season Cordell was suspended for one game apparently. Then came Ravenwood and Brentwood. All you guys need to do is find a game film of those two games and you will see why they lost. If you watched the Ravenwood game on channel 3 you must have heard the announcers key phrase in that game being "Cordell's pass intended for #__ (different receivers) but fell to the ground." Cordell had an off night but did SS change the game plan to offset that. Same kind of situation at Brentwood. The IHS defense played a heck of a game, even SS said that.

I know some of the players and parents at IHS too. Ask them who they want as the head coach. Ask them how many phone calls, e-mails, and face-to-face encounters they have had with Webb about this issue and not just this time but the first go around too. Ask the IHS community of players and families who motivates and inspires them to reach for their goals. There is alot more to coaching our youth then "game plan."

I hear that there is alot of needless agony over this matter, not that SS left, but the feeling of helplessness to get another Head Coach, the right coach. Neither Webb or Henry have stepped up to do the right thing by this community.

How sad that the Seniors who are leaving were denied the playoffs, even one round. They had the heart and the desire and the talent, just not the option to go to the playoffs. Senseless!

You are right that the players will get over it because they have been coached that way. They have been taught to believe they are winners long before SS.

Guys, give it up. SS is off again. Good luck to Science Hill and SS.

Wow! I heard that Cordell was coming to IHS when SS came initially. What happened there?

Too bad SS dumped all this in the players laps a week before their football banquet.

As for the downhill slide of the Eagles toward the end of the season Cordell was suspended for one game apparently. Then came Ravenwood and Brentwood. All you guys need to do is find a game film of those two games and you will see why they lost. If you watched the Ravenwood game on channel 3 you must have heard the announcers key phrase in that game being "Cordell's pass intended for #__ (different receivers) but fell to the ground." Cordell had an off night but did SS change the game plan to offset that. Same kind of situation at Brentwood. The IHS defense played a heck of a game, even SS said that.

I know some of the players and parents at IHS too. Ask them who they want as the head coach. Ask them how many phone calls, e-mails, and face-to-face encounters they have had with Webb about this issue and not just this time but the first go around too. Ask the IHS community of players and families who motivates and inspires them to reach for their goals. There is alot more to coaching our youth then "game plan."

I hear that there is alot of needless agony over this matter, not that SS left, but the feeling of helplessness to get another Head Coach, the right coach. Neither Webb or Henry have stepped up to do the right thing by this community.

How sad that the Seniors who are leaving were denied the playoffs, even one round. They had the heart and the desire and the talent, just not the option to go to the playoffs. Senseless!

You are right that the players will get over it because they have been coached that way. They have been taught to believe they are winners long before SS.

Guys, give it up. SS is off again. Good luck to Science Hill and SS.

I'm assuming you're saying that the community wanted/wants Eubanks?

Cordell was suspended and Smith adjusted accordingly with one of the best coached games I've ever seen, from him or anyone. He pounded the ball with Pettigrew and allowed Nick Smith to feel comfortable in the offense in his first career start.

The Ravenwood game was disgusting and I was offended to even watch it. You can say that he made adjustments, but the statistics tell the story in this case.

Cordell was 4-25 for 47 yds with 2 INT. He was 1-19 until very late.

Not a good game for anyone involved. Pettigrew got eight carries but the blocking wasn't there. Sticking with the run wouldn't have made a difference. The entire Independence team (this includes every single coach and player) was unprepared to face Ravenwood. That was just a bad game.

Brentwood was a very vanilla game. Cordell made some major mistakes but Smith still put them in a position to win. Pettigrew probably could've handled 5-10 more carries but that's pretty much splitting hairs.

This team just wasn't quite ready for the playoffs. Another year's growth and they should be able to make a deep run--that's what's so surprising about Smith's departure.

I'm assuming you're saying that the community wanted/wants Eubanks?

Cordell was suspended and Smith adjusted accordingly with one of the best coached games I've ever seen, from him or anyone. He pounded the ball with Pettigrew and allowed Nick Smith to feel comfortable in the offense in his first career start.

The Ravenwood game was disgusting and I was offended to even watch it. You can say that he made adjustments, but the statistics tell the story in this case.

Cordell was 4-25 for 47 yds with 2 INT. He was 1-19 until very late.

Not a good game for anyone involved. Pettigrew got eight carries but the blocking wasn't there. Sticking with the run wouldn't have made a difference. The entire Independence team (this includes every single coach and player) was unprepared to face Ravenwood. That was just a bad game.

Brentwood was a very vanilla game. Cordell made some major mistakes but Smith still put them in a position to win. Pettigrew probably could've handled 5-10 more carries but that's pretty much splitting hairs.

This team just wasn't quite ready for the playoffs. Another year's growth and they should be able to make a deep run--that's what's so surprising about Smith's departure.

The worst thing that could happen can be the best thing that could happen. Take a lesson from the misfortune, move on with strength, purpose, and heart, and make it better.

Smith’s leaving could be the best thing when looking back in a couple of years. Its apparent Smith heart wasn’t in it. Would anyone at Independence want Smith to stay if he didn’t have absolutely total commitment to program?

Those of us that were on the outside looking in concerning a new head coach at Science Hill, were somewhat shocked on the coaching selection (at least I was).

We heard a lot of different names and possibilities (kind of like what you all are going through now). And when the selection was made, I think most of us said . . . Coach who? From where? Where exactly is that??

So for some of the "big names" that were in contention, we (or some) were a bit surprised.

I wish you guys at Independence High lots of luck in finding a good coach. :thumb:

P.S. Who knows . . . we just might meet each other in the playoffs...wouldn't that be something?

Edited by Fitness4life

Oh, I know that. I was just kidding with tnsparty, an old Doublewing guy. With the offensive personnel you have now the ball will be flying thru the air a lot. :lol:

Yale,

Too funny. Back 6 years or so I had Scott P, Isaac B and Nate on my AA Cowboys team running the DW and we were pretty good. Brings back good memories. Coached at a MS this year and had a DW series installed and irt worked pretty well.