Independence Coaching Search

donathan5507

Coming to Independence would be a salary dropoff of roughly $85,000 a year....I don't think that would be a sensible move for Rutledge.

Sensible move is when you don't have a job and another one is open. If it will put food on the table and roof overhead, then it is very sensible. If living with the folks, I doubt this can be understood.

I still doubt high school football is in Coach Rutledge future.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that Smith was rumored to CHS before SHHS made him an unreal offer what a 1 up that would have been. I would also ask-- if IHS is so loaded why would he go north? It is going to be a great 07 in Williamson Co.

Make no mistake that this team has some very good returning talent. Talent that has 2 years of varsity experience. They will miss the graduating seniors, but there are experienced player that will fill the gaps just fine. This team will be just fine without their Green Lantern, whoever the coach is. The seniors have pulled together to get everyone on the same page with off season workouts. You throw around a bunch of accusations without any basis for them. Let this thing play out. Indy will be a very good football team in 07 no matter who the coach is. The senior class has something to prove to those that think they can't win. Stay tuned.

Sensible move is when you don't have a job and another one is open. If it will put food on the table and roof overhead, then it is very sensible. If living with the folks, I doubt this can be understood.

I still doubt high school football is in Coach Rutledge future.

I doubt Coach Rutledge needs the money coaching in a public school pays. Coaches don't coach this game for the stipend. They coach because they love it. I think he has larger coaching aspirations than IHS. We will find out in the upcoming weeks.

The one thing is it does matter who the coach is. It needs to be a coach that wants to put the ball in the air. Pettigrew is a good back, but the line is one of the weakest in the district. But, they can win through the air. You make it sound like they can win on their own, which is not the case. They still must learn to win in big games. What will they do if they can not beat BA and MBA. Will they quit or will they fight back? I think they are a good team that should enter the playoffs for the first time, but do not underestimate what Scott Smith did to make these boys better as a football team. I believe they should go with someone like Eubanks who knows these guys and can build upon what they have going. Bring in an outsider could do more to disrupt things, instead of improve.

The one thing is it does matter who the coach is. It needs to be a coach that wants to put the ball in the air. Pettigrew is a good back, but the line is one of the weakest in the district. But, they can win through the air. You make it sound like they can win on their own, which is not the case. They still must learn to win in big games. What will they do if they can not beat BA and MBA. Will they quit or will they fight back? I think they are a good team that should enter the playoffs for the first time, but do not underestimate what Scott Smith did to make these boys better as a football team. I believe they should go with someone like Eubanks who knows these guys and can build upon what they have going. Bring in an outsider could do more to disrupt things, instead of improve.

I agree that Coach Eubanks would be the right choice, and I also never underestimated the job that Coach Smith did. He is gone and no longer their coach. It is time to move on. They won't quit. the seniors won't allow it in my opinion. I still believe in a balanced offense so the pass is important as is the run. But, a good coach modifies the philosophy depending on personnel. There is a good nucleus of coaches left at IHS and if Coach Eubanks is given the opportunity he will succeed. All we can do now is hope the decision-makers see it that way.

The head coach is only as good as his assistants. If the coordinators and position specific coaches are doing a good job of coaching, it will show up in practice as well as the game. The Head Coach can't do it all. He has to be the best one to manage the team is his football beliefs.

It is unusual for posters on CoachT to speak so highly of existing assistants like Coach Eubanks after the loss of the Head Coach. This speaks volumes to Coach Eubanks ability to be a Head Coach at Independence or somewhere else.

We're keeping our fingers crossed for Eubanks but the truth is that it's up in the air. Applications will be accepted until 1-31 with a decision coming sometime near Valentine's Day.

ADs usually do a good job keeping these things under wraps--nobody saw Matykiewicz coming at Centennial--so it'll be hard to get a read until the announcement is made.

My kids friends attend CHS and is on the football team. He told us that Smith was offered the CHS job, accepted it, then later quit to take the sience hill job. anyone else hear this?

I've heard alot of different versions of this story from a bunch of different people. But the basic consesus is that both CHS and Science Hill had courted him. He chose CHS and was in the process of finalizing the deal when Science Hill came back with an unreal offer (somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80 thousand) and he split.