Independence Coaching Search

donathan5507

I'm not so sure that he would be interested in the Fairview job. He pulled his name from the Centennial search. I think he is committed to IHS and those kids. I want to think the decision makers will choose him, but I am not overly confident they will. It is too bad, and not just for him. It is too bad for the team, parents, community and the school. Time will tell.

Agreed, Coach U seems committed to the school and the team, whether he gets the HC position or not. That being said, I honestly think there are better candidates out there than Eubanks. His lack of experience is a problem, especially for a still developing program. Not saying he wouldn't make a good coach, but there are still some good, experienced names out there. Indy just needs to take their time.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, Coach U seems committed to the school and the team, whether he gets the HC position or not. That being said, I honestly think there are better candidates out there than Eubanks. His lack of experience is a problem, especially for a still developing program. Not saying he wouldn't make a good coach, but there are still some good, experienced names out there. Indy just needs to take their time.

If they go after a "Name" HC that is one thing. If they choose another team's assistant coach then they are clueless. If all anyone ever hired was coaches with HC experience then no one would get hired. I don't think Rector was a HC before he was promoted at Ravenwood. They need to make the best choice and get it done so the players can put this behind them. This is funny that someone from Centennial is giving someone advice about hiring a HC... :)

If they go after a "Name" HC that is one thing. If they choose another team's assistant coach then they are clueless. If all anyone ever hired was coaches with HC experience then no one would get hired. I don't think Rector was a HC before he was promoted at Ravenwood. They need to make the best choice and get it done so the players can put this behind them. This is funny that someone from Centennial is giving someone advice about hiring a HC... :)

You have a good example of a coach with no high school head coaching experience leading not only your athletic department but also coaching the boys basketball team and a very good girls basketball coach that had no experience.

You have a good example of a coach with no high school head coaching experience leading not only your athletic department but also coaching the boys basketball team and a very good girls basketball coach that had no experience.

I believe the head baseball coach falls into this category as well! Didn't he go to IHS from Grassland Middle?

Not sure "head experience" means a whole heck of a lot to IHS in most cases anyway!

Coach Woodward was an assistant OC at Ravenwood before coming head coach at Antioch in 2006. He has the Antioch football program point in the right direction. Can an assistant coach become head coach? Don’t see a problem here with Eubanks as other describe his work ethic. If he talks like a head coach, plans like a head coach, yells like a head coach, works well with assistant coaches, then he can be a head coach.

The head coach can only be successful if he as quality assistants. A good head coach will surround himself with quality assistants as well as quality assistant will want to be with a good head coach. It is the only way for assistants to move up into future head coaching slots. The question might be if Eubanks becomes a head coach, can he surround himself with quality assistants?

Did Rector have any head coaching experience before he was promoted after JD up-and-left for Brentwood? Just curious.

Coach Rector was an assistant coach up in Owensboro, KY before coming to Ravenwood in 2002, the year the school opened. Ravenwood open with Freshman & Sophomores with first full graduating class in 2006. Coach Rector became head coach in 2004 and took the Raptors into the second round of the playoffs in the first year of varsity, capture state championship in 2005, and state runner-up in 2006.

One important note here, hiring a coach from outside of the state can bring a different approach to the way local football is played. If looking for new blood with successful programs, advertise in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. They would feel right at home at Independence. I bet some of the parents know the coaches in their old home town high schools that would be willing to move south.

One important note here, hiring a coach from outside of the state can bring a different approach to the way local football is played. If looking for new blood with successful programs, advertise in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. They would feel right at home at Independence. I bet some of the parents know the coaches in their old home town high schools that would be willing to move south.

I see your point--although sometimes an out of state coach will do something strange like coach from the press box (no offense, Franklin)--but I don't believe that Independence will go to the lengths of searching nationwide for a coach.

Not a bad idea, I just doubt that the powers that be will put that much effort into the search.

I see your point--although sometimes an out of state coach will do something strange like coach from the press box (no offense, Franklin)--but I don't believe that Independence will go to the lengths of searching nationwide for a coach.

Not a bad idea, I just doubt that the powers that be will put that much effort into the search.

Joe Pa of Penn St. did a heck of a job coaching from the coach/press box in the last bowl game against UT. The cameras kept focusing on him. He didn't have to do a thing but sit and snore. This shows some football programs can execute without the head coach doing anything. I can’t see this happening on the high school level. :P

Joe Pa of Penn St. did a heck of a job coaching from the coach/press box in the last bowl game against UT. The cameras kept focusing on him. He didn't have to do a thing but sit and snore. This shows some football programs can execute without the head coach doing anything. I can’t see this happening on the high school level. :P

Donathan

I realize you are talking about Franklin's coach, calling plays from the pressbox. But the more I think about it, yes it is unusual but then again what's wrong with it. If he feels he can get a better view and do a better job then fine. Looking at the FHS website, he has Donnie Webb, Marshall Winkler, Ken Curtis, Howard Gamble, I guess the youngest would be kurt Jones, all of these guys have a lot of experience coaching football. I think this shows he has confidence in his assistants. Donathan your coach had confidence in you and you'll have another head coach soon. Keep up the good work!

There is no doubt that the whole IHS team and community is praying for Eubanks to get the job. He deserves it. I know you guys think that he has no experience but you kind of have to read between the lines here. For the whole season last year Eubanks and Bobby were the disipline. Coach's Smith did absolutely nothing. The only reason he suspended Cordell was because Dr. Webb was on his back the whole season. All the players respect Eubanks. And they took him more serious then Smith. People say that he won't bring any offensive schemes with him. Well the way I see it if Eubanks becomes the coach then Felts should become the offensive coordinator. Then Indy wouldn't have to change anything because Felts has been under the Spread for over 10 years. Plus Eubanks would probably put in an I- formation with tight ends, somehting Smith tried to do but never went throught with it just like he does with everything. The only thing that hurts Eubanks is that he has tenure. Which means that if he gets hired as the coach then it would be a little more difficult for Webb to have control over anything involving football or Eubanks in the school. It is basically saying that it would be a heck of a lot harder for Webb to Fire or get "involved." See Smith didn't tenure which made it easier for Webb to control him which was a main reason that Smith left. ( besides the $$$.) Webb is all about control. If she hires Eubanks she won't have as much control over things like she did with Smith. Hopefully Webb will make the right decision and hire Eubanks. For the team and the community.