Beckham coming to America

Svebakken

He signed with the LA Galaxy today for over 250 million dollars, over an undisclosed amount of time. I was curious to what people thought about this craziness. That is an insane amount of money. Plus, he is already past his prime, dropped from his national team after the World Cup. Does anyone think his signing will boost the popularity of the MLS?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, all David Beckham is, is a name. All he can be used for is marketing since everyone knows who he is. He is washed up and like you said he got dropped from England after this past World Cup. He did nothing for England this summer in the World Cup on the field, he was just a body out there. All he is good for is set pieces. A waste of 250 million if your tryin to improve your club. As for improving the popularity, it could happen, but i doubt it.

I heard that if Beckham declined, that they were offering the same contract to get Reaction out of retirement! (possibly a package deal with Hoya?)

Of course they payed for the name. There are plenty of other more talented players that they could have gotten from Europe, but they needed someone with a marquee name. Remember, they are trying to boost the MLS (of which this had to be some kind of joint MLS deal... MLS almost went bankrupt last season, so how could one team come up with $250,000,000?)they are not going to boost it with some soccer player that 90% of Americans haven't heard of. Since Adu hasn't "blossomed" (which they were hoping would be their golden ticket) they had to do something.

I'd like to know the details of the contract... it had better be a "lifetime" contract for that kind of money. I'm not even sure if Ronaldinho makes that!

My prediction... one month of boosted ratings (maybe a push for one year) then they will be looking for something else to spark interest. Shoot, even Pele couldn't save the NASL (though it wasn't his fault that it folded a few years after he left)

QUOTE(BigG @ Jan 11 2007 - 01:05 PM) 826328429[/snapback]

I heard that if Beckham declined, that they were offering the same contract to get Reaction out of retirement! (possibly a package deal with Hoya?)

Of course they payed for the name. There are plenty of other more talented players that they could have gotten from Europe, but they needed someone with a marquee name. Remember, they are trying to boost the MLS (of which this had to be some kind of joint MLS deal... MLS almost went bankrupt last season, so how could one team come up with $250,000,000?)they are not going to boost it with some soccer player that 90% of Americans haven't heard of. Since Adu hasn't "blossomed" (which they were hoping would be their golden ticket) they had to do something.

I'd like to know the details of the contract... it had better be a "lifetime" contract for that kind of money. I'm not even sure if Ronaldinho makes that!

My prediction... one month of boosted ratings (maybe a push for one year) then they will be looking for something else to spark interest. Shoot, even Pele couldn't save the NASL (though it wasn't his fault that it folded a few years after he left)

haha I think i migh thave to come out of retirement for that deal.

It was a 5 year deal.

People want something to watch, and Beckham is not goin to bring anymore excitement than what is already there. It won't boost anything. I didn't even watch the MLS finals. I got the sports package on Direct TV and a lot of the English Premier League games, as well as Serie A and Argentina League.

Those leagues are very exciting. In Argentina i think they try to kill eachother.

MLS doesn't compare to any of those.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE(reaction @ Feb 11 2007 - 08:45 PM) 826367894[/snapback]

Ya i read where the coach decided to let him play becuase he really wanted to or something.

capello let him play because the other players revoked against the coach

the real reason why they sat him is because if madrid puts him on the field and he succeeds then thats more money in the galaxy's wallet plus it gets more excited in MLS

QUOTE(Svebakken @ Jan 11 2007 - 12:41 PM) 826328393[/snapback]

He signed with the LA Galaxy today for over 250 million dollars, over an undisclosed amount of time. I was curious to what people thought about this craziness. That is an insane amount of money. Plus, he is already past his prime, dropped from his national team after the World Cup. Does anyone think his signing will boost the popularity of the MLS?

Thats too much money for a single player of his kind. If D.C United was bought for US $33 million, why pay that much money for one player instead of maybe expanding the league with new teams . Another option is go to South America, Africa, Europe and buy a bunch of younger extraordinary talents that will make fans want to come to games.

QUOTE(fanatic55 @ Feb 11 2007 - 10:40 PM) 826368132[/snapback]

Thats too much money for a single player of his kind. If D.C United was bought for US $33 million, why pay that much money for one player instead of maybe expanding the league with new teams . Another option is go to South America, Africa, Europe and buy a bunch of younger extraordinary talents that will make fans want to come to games.

1 he recieves a high % of apparel sales

2 a % of tickets

3 endorsements

4 if he does movie

and last AIG which sponsored the world cup and MAN U is paying for the rest