The Future of Middle Tn Wrestling

eyecaptain

The Middle Tennessee Wrestling Association (MTWA) crowned their champions today at Blackman Middle School. Team results were as follows:

1. Blackman 243.0

2. Tullahoma 154.5

3. Nashville Catholic 152.5

4. Cookeville 111.5

5. Beech 96.0

6. Hendersonville 87.0

7. Clarkesville 77.5

8. West Wilson 67.0

9. Mt Juliet 66.5

10.Warren Co 27.0

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimmyjones9999 @ Jan 13 2007 - 11:36 PM) 826331377[/snapback]

Good job Blackman,how many champions have out of how may weight classes?

congradulations to Blackman Middle and to Coach Bill Kennedy...as a parent who has had 3 boys go through his program and 1 still in it...words cannot express how thankful i am and what a great job they are doing with over 100 kids ages first through 8th grade...

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE MIDDLE TENN WRESTLING ASSOCIATION(MTWA) FOR ME. I GOT THAT IT IS MIDDLE SCHOOL AGE, BUT IS IT CLUB WRESTLING OR RAN THROUGH THE SCHOOLS (TSSAA). IF IT IS CLUB, WHAT ORGINIZATION DO YOU RUN IT THROUGH? PLEASE TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT BECAUSE THIS IS THE FIRST I HAVE HEARD OF THIS ASSOCIATION.

THE ANIMAL

It started about 8-10 years ago because we had middle school programs with no where to wrestle.

HVAC wouldnt let some in, Metro denied others entry, Williamson Cty had some league, but that left out Rutherford and Wilson schools. My kid was at David Lipscomb and wasnt allowed in Metro, though located in Davidson Cty, nor HVAC.

A lot of people did more work than I did in order to move it forward, but I was at the early organization of it.

Nashville Catholic is the only "club" type team, but because of low enrollment at several parochial schools, they wreslte the season with the same roster. Other schools have genuine middle schools.

Mt Juliet dominated in the early days. Whatever happened to that coach?

NCW has dominated but now Blackman acts like its going to be selfish with the championship for a few years!

The league is independent, totally. No TSSAA or TMSSA affiliation.

The Middle TN Grandchampionships (Jan 21, 22) will host 16 middle schools in dual meet action.

QUOTE(reftn @ Jan 14 2007 - 03:53 PM) 826331710[/snapback]

It started about 8-10 years ago because we had middle school programs with no where to wrestle.

HVAC wouldnt let some in, Metro denied others entry, Williamson Cty had some league, but that left out Rutherford and Wilson schools. My kid was at David Lipscomb and wasnt allowed in Metro, though located in Davidson Cty, nor HVAC.

A lot of people did more work than I did in order to move it forward, but I was at the early organization of it.

Nashville Catholic is the only "club" type team, but because of low enrollment at several parochial schools, they wreslte the season with the same roster. Other schools have genuine middle schools.

Mt Juliet dominated in the early days. Whatever happened to that coach?

NCW has dominated but now Blackman acts like its going to be selfish with the championship for a few years!

The league is independent, totally. No TSSAA or TMSSA affiliation.

The Middle TN Grandchampionships (Jan 21, 22) will host 16 middle schools in dual meet action.

That's basically correct as to it's inception. Five years ago we formalized the league with bylaws and a league tournament. Then we added a JV tournament, which is the best thing we've ever done.

Nashville Catholic is not the only "club" team. In fact, most teams in the league are club teams. It would be more correct to say most teams only feed one highschool. The only true middle school teams, to my knowledge, are Lipscomb, West Wilson, Sycamore, and Mt. Juliet. Maybe Warren County. Blackman, Cookville, Hendersonville, Clarksville, NCW, Tullahoma, and Beech are all clubs pulling from more than one middle school.

Smyrna used to be a middle school member until they dropped their team and rolled them into Blackman. Forrest was a true middle school when they were a member, since dropping their program. Same with Springfield and Nashville Christian.

It is an independent league, with teams either AAU or USAW affiliated.

QUOTE(bkpres @ Jan 15 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826332573[/snapback]

That's basically correct as to it's inception. Five years ago we formalized the league with bylaws and a league tournament. Then we added a JV tournament, which is the best thing we've ever done.

Nashville Catholic is not the only "club" team. In fact, most teams in the league are club teams. It would be more correct to say most teams only feed one highschool. The only true middle school teams, to my knowledge, are Lipscomb, West Wilson, Sycamore, and Mt. Juliet. Maybe Warren County. Blackman, Cookville, Hendersonville, Clarksville, NCW, Tullahoma, and Beech are all clubs pulling from more than one middle school.

Smyrna used to be a middle school member until they dropped their team and rolled them into Blackman. Forrest was a true middle school when they were a member, since dropping their program. Same with Springfield and Nashville Christian.

It is an independent league, with teams either AAU or USAW affiliated.

Beech only pulls or feeds Beech. If the middle school kids from Beech wrestle in high school they will wrestle for Beech.

QUOTE(werazzlin @ Jan 15 2007 - 03:20 PM) 826332755[/snapback]

Beech only pulls or feeds Beech. If the middle school kids from Beech wrestle in high school they will wrestle for Beech.

That's what I said. Hunter Middle, i.e. Beech, is a club team that feeds into Beech High School. Though most of their wrestlers are from Hunter Middle, not all are, making them, like over half of the league, not true middle school teams.

The Middle TN Grandchampionships (Jan 21) will host 16 middle schools in dual meet action. Any and all interested in a more true measurement of their team's strength with others around the state contact Tim, PA, or Brad Fiscus soon.

at wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com

Thanks

Brad Fiscus

Mat Control

If this will not work, you are also invited to test at the Sheriff's Shoot Out on Feb 3rd in Murfreesboro.

This is an informal AAU event and could help MORE to decide the champions of TN.

The URL is http://safewrestling.com/

bill kennedy [srokennedy@yahoo.com]

QUOTE(soms @ Jan 17 2007 - 08:16 AM) 826334723[/snapback]

The Middle TN Grandchampionships (Jan 21) will host 16 middle schools in dual meet action. Any and all interested in a more true measurement of their team's strength with others around the state contact Tim, PA, or Brad Fiscus soon.

at wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com

Thanks

Brad Fiscus

Mat Control

If this will not work, you are also invited to test at the Sheriff's Shoot Out on Feb 3rd in Murfreesboro.

This is an informal AAU event and could help MORE to decide the champions of TN.

The URL is http://safewrestling.com/

Add'l info:

Sheriff’s Shoot Out

7th Annual

Wrestling Tournament

February 3, 2007

Siegel High School

3300 Siegel Rd

Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37128

Sponsored by the Sheriff’s “Sharp Shooters” wrestling club

AAU Wrestling Tournament (TN. National Team Qualifier)

Event Schedule is as follows: All times Central Standard Time

Weigh-Ins* Tournament

Saturday: Tots & Midget 7:00 - 7:30 am 8:30- 12:30 pm

Bantam & Junior 11:00-11:30 am 12:45 -4:45 pm

Middle School 3:30 - 4:00 pm 5:00 – 9:30 pm

(Coaches Meeting will begin 1 hour before start of each tournament)

bill kennedy [srokennedy@yahoo.com]